Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

PFF has some axe to grind with Goff. I posted this about their grading of Goff last week:

Dak Prescott
30/50
60%
238 passing yards
4.8 YPA
2 TDs
2 Ints (1 pick-six)
68.6 QB Rating

QB DAK PRESCOTT, 71.0 OVERALL GRADE
Prescott wasn’t terrible in this game, but he was far worse than you typically expect, and could easily have had another two interceptions on the day had Dez Bryant not turned defensive back to prevent Aqib Talib picking them off. Balance that with the two he did throw being a throw off his receiver’s hands, and a pass that was tipped at the line, and you have a strange outing for Prescott this week.

Jared Goff
15/25
60%
224 passing yards
9.0 YPA
1 TD
1 Int
86.1 QB Rating

QB JARED GOFF, 43.1 OVERALL GRADE
After a big turn around last week, Goff looked as he did as a rookie. When Goff was pressured he struggled, while he did complete a touchdown pass under pressure, there were many bad decisions, as he struggles to break everything down under pressure

PFF has its guys that it likes and its guys that it doesn't like. You can definitely tell by the grades whom they are.

Yeah, I like PFF on the whole, but they''re work has to be taken with a massive grain of salt.  I actually prefer when they stick to just scouting articles and podcasts. When they start trying to push their ridiculous new stats it gets to be a bit much. Hopefully their growing popularity lends to some more capital, because they really need to invest in more statisticians and less joe schmoe watching a game then making up stats as they go along. Stop mixing the two basically. 

/rant

(I havea  4 hour commute so I listen to way too much football stuff now, PFF has fallen in that rotation)

Just now, John232 said:

Yeah, I like PFF on the whole, but they''re work has to be taken with a massive grain of salt.  I actually prefer when they stick to just scouting articles and podcasts. When they start trying to push their ridiculous new stats it gets to be a bit much. Hopefully their growing popularity lends to some more capital, because they really need to invest in more statisticians and less joe schmoe watching a game then making up stats as they go along. Stop mixing the two basically. 

/rant

(I havea  4 hour commute so I listen to way too much football stuff now, PFF has fallen in that rotation)

Good god man

1 minute ago, John232 said:

/rant

Four hours? That's brutal. But yea, I totally agree. Their defensive rankings are especially problematic because they don't consider defensive responsibility. It's how they gave Mark Barron a good grade last week despite him stinking up the field. He did fine with his 1-on-1 match-ups, but he cost the Rams big because he wasn't reading his keys properly and kept getting out of position.(which PFF obviously is going to ignore)

Just now, jrry32 said:

Four hours? That's brutal. But yea, I totally agree. Their defensive rankings are especially problematic because they don't consider defensive responsibility. It's how they gave Mark Barron a good grade last week despite him stinking up the field. He did fine with his 1-on-1 match-ups, but he cost the Rams big because he wasn't reading his keys properly and kept getting out of position.(which PFF obviously is going to ignore)

Exactly. They haven't figured everything out, and in all likelihood, never will. Blocking assignments and secondary assignments are damn near impossible to figure out unless you know the call. 

Just now, John232 said:

Exactly. They haven't figured everything out, and in all likelihood, never will. Blocking assignments and secondary assignments are damn near impossible to figure out unless you know the call. 

This is true to some degree, but I think if you have people who know the game well, they can get it right the vast majority of the time. You can piece responsibilities together by looking at the big picture, but it's a lot more time-consuming.

Just now, jrry32 said:

This is true to some degree, but I think if you have people who know the game well, they can get it right the vast majority of the time. You can piece responsibilities together by looking at the big picture, but it's a lot more time-consuming.

It is, and I should have been more specific. Not secondary assignments, but coverage assignments can be very convoluted depending on the defense. Some are pretty straight forward, but other people try to mix it up. And finding where a play or coverage can broke down is where it can be harder to tell. If a safety and corner can't get on the same page, but the corner blows the acutal press or jam(for example) the safety in all likely hood will get docked in his grade for it. (lookin at you Robinson v Tyreeke)

Anyways, pretty encouraging game all things considered. Clearly have some issues, but the two most encouraging things I'm finding are that the positions where we've invested the most high picks in safety and interior line, have both come along nicely. If we can start seeing something out of Kittle and continue to see Breida and Taylor grow, i'll be a happy camper. 

Also add before I take off. Rams look legit too. McVey was the other coach I really wanted and seeing him succeed is vindicating but scary. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Anyways, pretty encouraging game all things considered. Clearly have some issues, but the two most encouraging things I'm finding are that the positions where we've invested the most high picks in safety and interior line, have both come along nicely. If we can start seeing something out of Kittle and continue to see Breida and Taylor grow, i'll be a happy camper. 

Also add before I take off. Rams look legit too. McVey was the other coach I really wanted and seeing him succeed is vindicating but scary. 

If y'all get a QB next year, this could be like the 49ers-Rams rivalries of old, except with the Rams winning a lot more often haha. It's time to take the division back from the Seahawks.

6 hours ago, John232 said:

And? Should they feel responsible that Hoyer has been playing like trash even by his standards? Dude is a stop gap, you're not looking at this play and trying to draw any serious prognosis for the future of this team. 

Seeing guys like Taylor, the O-line, Hyde, Breida and Garcon all step  up. That's what i'm excited about. 

My point is that Lynch said "we need a win in the worst way" (possible paraphrase) and Jed in general needs this team to win games. And tbh, I do think at least Lynch did expect more. I think he trusts Kyle so much that even a stop gap should play better (not blaming Kyle here)

40 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

My point is that Lynch said "we need a win in the worst way" (possible paraphrase) and Jed in general needs this team to win games. And tbh, I do think at least Lynch did expect more. I think he trusts Kyle so much that even a stop gap should play better (not blaming Kyle here)

I think you're reading way too much into comments and into what Brian Hoyer is and always was supposed to be. First - all the need a win stuff - of course that's a public comment. They can't come out and say wins don't matter. But they got 6-year contracts because this team is and always was going to be a process. 

And regarding Hoyer - he wasn't brought in to be a starting QB for the 49ers that could potentially lead the team to the playoffs or any amount of wins. He was brought in to be a backup QB, of which he would be one of the top backup QBs in the league. He got backup QB money. He's making approximately the same money as Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Chad Henne, Drew Stanton, and Colt McCoy. He's a backup QB. When he was signed, we were still in full court press for Kirk Cousins. That didn't work out, so Hoyer starts for 2017 and only 2017, and it was always going to be only 2017, because it wasn't even supposed to be 2017. 

What happens this year, in terms of wins and losses, is almost entirely meaningless, because there were no set of moves the team could have made that would place it in a position to contend in 2017. So whatever happens with Hoyer this year is almost a footnote. But a lot of people are really overreacting as if they expected the team they saw last year to be turned around in an instant. Was never going to happen. It's a 3-year rebuild from an ultimate Trent Baalke disaster.

Which means I have bad news for anyone who has dreams of a playoffs run in 2018 as well...I'll happily break it whenever someone asks. 

I think Hoyer's alright. Marginal starter, but still glad he's the guy this year. That pass pro last night.. still not finished watching.. but the OL should hang heads in shame. They were atrocious.. and it showed that Hoyer's got some real composure to be fighting back hit after hit. 

Just watched the Garcon deep completion, and that dude needs more targets per game. The rest of the wideouts do not impress, though I liked Trent and will give him time. 

Trent Brown, as I thought as a draft prospect, has no business playing outside at OT. Just awful. Slow and plodding. 

Just some quick thoughts. I'm no 49ers expert though. 

Really? Disagree big time on Trent Brown. He didn't have a good game but he's a very solid pass blocker. Struggles a bit in the run game, but before yesterday he hadn't even allowed a pressure in the first two games. 

I agree Garcon needs more targets. Easily our best receiver who makes nice contested catches. 

The major problem on the OL is the interior. All three need to be replaced next season. 

Archived