Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He was drafted in the 3rd round with damn near everyone expecting him to be a project. That doesn't mean he can't play this season, because I do think his number will be called. But it's not surprising he is inactive when he isn't a starter. This team uses three safeties often during dime packages instead of four CBs. If by week 8 or 9 he isn't on the active roster, than I would start to worry a bit.

That's kind of my point.  We use safeties because our CBs are not very good.  I'm not sure I buy the "he's not playing because he's a project" thinking.  I still contend that a guy taken at 66 should have a reasonable chance of playing - and of contributing.  If he's such a big project that he has no realistic chance of contributing then 66 is too high for him.  We'll see J.  Maybe you're right and he'll come on strong as the year progresses. I hope so.  I'm just saying that I worry about him not being able to make the active roster more than most here seem to.

Guess I missed a heck of a game. I bailed after the Brieda fumble. Figured I should just go back to work instead of postponing it. Just judging from the box score and the post game replies here, it seemed like the team at least came to play offensively. I was wondering the other day in the shower if Hoyer would even have a 300 yard passing game this year. His first two starts were that bad. I'm not a moral victory kind of guy, but since I want us to get a top QB next season this was the best kind of game to hope for. A loss combined with the team playing pretty well on offense. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Guess I missed a heck of a game. I bailed after the Brieda fumble. Figured I should just go back to work instead of postponing it. Just judging from the box score and the post game replies here, it seemed like the team at least came to play offensively. I was wondering the other day in the shower if Hoyer would even have a 300 yard passing game this year. His first two starts were that bad. I'm not a moral victory kind of guy, but since I want us to get a top QB next season this was the best kind of game to hope for. A loss combined with the team playing pretty well on offense. 

It was Mostert that fumbled I believe. 

I was told a stat I couldnt believe by someone the other day that last year Hoyer had a 300yd game in every game he started and its true! with the exception being the game he was injured for the rest of the season. 0 ints too in that span. 

You missed a good game I left it on in the background while I worked on some things and had to rewind it just to see what the hell was happening. 

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Honestly, I don't care if we go 0-16 if all the games are more entertaining than infuriating. If it's a fun game I enjoy watching, I really won't care if we win or lose. We aren't going anywhere this year, so I mainly just want to be entertained. 

Its one of the first times in a while that the NFC West is so open for the taking, thats why these losses are such a bummer for me. Around week 15 I'll probably be glad Robbie Gould missed that extra point, and Goodwin dropped that first down, but right now having those 2 wins mean a lot more to me than draft position. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Its one of the first times in a while that the NFC West is so open for the taking, thats why these losses are such a bummer for me. Around week 15 I'll probably be glad Robbie Gould missed that extra point, and Goodwin dropped that first down, but right now having those 2 wins mean a lot more to me than draft position. 

There's a certain irony in this - wasn't it Gould who missed the chip shot a couple of years ago that won us a game and cost us draft position? Maybe he was just paying us back this year. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

There's a certain irony in this - wasn't it Gould who missed the chip shot a couple of years ago that won us a game and cost us draft position? Maybe he was just paying us back this year. 

Indeed. So that took us from what the 4th spot to the 7th?

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Indeed. So that took us from what the 4th spot to the 7th?

Yeah...not that I'm going to really complain about that. We did land Buckner with that pick. He's just as good as the guys ahead of him for the most part. Have you looked back at that draft? Seems really promising to be a great top of the draft. 

Goff and Wentz are coming on this year after rookie struggles. Bosa is a beast. Zeke is a top 3 running back. Ramsey is already a stud. Stanley is already a very fine LT. Buckner is Buckner. Conklin could rank as one of the best RT's in footabll already. It's not until you get to picks 9-12 that you have some guys who have questions. Leonard Floyd hasn't done much that I know of. Apple appears to be fine as a CB2, but I don't know that he's going to be a CB1. He's okay. Hargreaves I think had a really rough rookie season...not sure if he did anything this year. Rankins got hurt, so that's still up in the air. Then picks 13-18 are pretty good. It's not until after that where you get some guys who look like they may not pan out. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maybe it was too high for him, but I didn't think so at the time nor do I now. I had reasonable expectations for him. This is a team for the future so drafting someone who has high potential isn't the worse of things.

Yeah. This I totally agree with. I don't know if he's that guy or not. But I agree completely about taking a guy with a high ceiling even if we have to wait for him to get there rather than a lower ceiling guy who can play right away.

Really good game. Very fun to watch. I take back many of the things I've said about Hoyer. He played well. He's still not the answer, as he is known for being inconsistent. But on good days, at least he can give us a glimpse of what Kyle can do. 

Goodwin played a very solid game. It's good to see in game what we've heard about him throughout camp. I'm just happy that this offense is showing some promise. The defense also flashes at times. We still need key pieces to this team. An actual franchise QB, a receiving threat that can draw more attention, an explosive pass rusher who actually gets to the QB. I know we need more than 3 players, we need to improve depth, we need to pass protect better, and run block better, and get open more often, and cover longer, and tackle better. But I think we're really just 3 players away from having a realistic chance to win week in and week out. 

Archived