Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we don't beat the Cardinals, we may not win a game all season. Kidding.....Sort of lol.

I get your joking but i think we're in pretty good shape to win more than most ppl think. Realistically, we were a couple of plays here and there of being 2-1. That's a far cry from last year, where we were already being taken to the woodshed by halftime most weeks. I always believed we would start either 0-4 or 1-3 the first four weeks as this team had to gel and get acclimated on both sides of the ball. Especially on offense. Kyle's scheme is complex and takes alot of moving parts all in unison, for success. And one TC and pre-season just wasn't enough time to get the timing and the familiarity with each other IMO. 

I really think we'll be better over the last eight games than the first 8. I still believe 4-6 wins is achievable. Outside of Carolina, all our games have been competitive and winnable. I don't see any team left on the schedule that I think clearly out-classes us. Maybe Dallas but they can definitely be beat. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I get your joking but i think we're in pretty good shape to win more than most ppl think. Realistically, we were a couple of plays here and there of being 2-1. That's a far cry from last year, where we were already being taken to the woodshed by halftime most weeks. I always believed we would start either 0-4 or 1-3 the first four weeks as this team had to gel and get acclimated on both sides of the ball. Especially on offense. Kyle's scheme is complex and takes alot of moving parts all in unison, for success. And one TC and pre-season just wasn't enough time to get the timing and the familiarity with each other IMO. 

I really think we'll be better over the last eight games than the first 8. I still believe 4-6 wins is achievable. Outside of Carolina, all our games have been competitive and winnable. I don't see any team left on the schedule that I think clearly out-classes us. Maybe Dallas but they can definitely be beat. 

I understand the pessimism by most, but I'm with you, I think we've looked a lot better than people think. If we had Reuben Foster all 3 games I think theres a chance we are 3-0. The drop off in play at that LB spot is the most obvious thing on our team now. 

Shanny's still turning over the many rocks in our offense, thats not easy to do while staying competitive in games which we have been in every game this year including the Carolina game. I dont know if this weekend in AZ is going to be a win but we aren't worse than I thought and I still think we can win multiple games in a row. Our division looks weaker, NFC east looks weaker in spots, AFC south looks weaker too, we aren't that far behind. 

The problem is injuries do happen and good teams are able to overcome them with good depth. That's just not us right now. When one injury happens to a solid starter, there is a huge drop off with the back up. So you have to expect more injuries along the way.

Now, I absolutely agree Foster is a true game changer. The last two games could have been different with him on the field. Armstrong is that bad missing his assignments and not knowing what to do. Shanahan showed just how good of a player caller and system he has last game. It's just with Hoyer, you never know what kind of performance he will give you. When he is playing well or even decent, the offense should be solid enough. But if he plays anything like he did in the first two games, the offense is bottom three in the league. And our defense just isn't good enough to overcome that.

Comapre our

LB situation today to having WIllis and a healthy Bowman both in the middle and Borland to back them up if one got hurt.

As for Hoyer, he's capable of playing pretty well, he's just not capable of playing pretty well all the time. Maybe it's my imagination,, but he seems to be particularly bad when he gets pressure.  So as our o-line gels and maybe gives him a little more time maybe we'll see more of the "good Hoyer" and less of the "bad Hoyer".

As I'm thinking about our o-line getting better over the year what in the world is happening to Garnett. If he's out for the year that is the quietest season ending injury I've ever hear of.  Never heard much about it early ... "need to get his knee cleaned out", and simply haven't heard a whole lot more about it since then. I actually was not overly hopeful he would turn into a stud, but there was always that chance, or least just an upgrade over the guys we've got. Oh well, maybe next year.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

As I'm thinking about our o-line getting better over the year what in the world is happening to Garnett. If he's out for the year that is the quietest season ending injury I've ever hear of.  Never heard much about it early ... "need to get his knee cleaned out", and simply haven't heard a whole lot more about it since then. I actually was not overly hopeful he would turn into a stud, but there was always that chance, or least just an upgrade over the guys we've got. Oh well, maybe next year.

He's on IR and not the kind with the "designated to return" label. All the injury talk has been on Ward and Hyde this offseason, but Garnett and another guy Reid have equally if not more concerning issues with staying on the field. 

Meanwhile Cody Whitehair is turning into stud and Nick Martin is starting for Texans (not sure how well he's playing). Those are two guys Trent could have had by simply staying put and not trading up for garnett. Of course had he stayed put it's likely that Garnett would still have been there and Trent would have taken him instead of the other two guys anyway.

I would have liked to see how Garnett would look in this system and just being in year two. I mentioned it in training camp how shady the team was being with his injury. Heck, with all injuries for that matter. They have been better since the season starter though.

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Call me crazy, but I loved the Garnett pick. I know, I'm in the minority--oh well. I was hoping to see him contribute, but apparently not this year.  

I wasn't against it. I think he wouldn't have been too bad this year. If the passing offense is predicated on getting the ball out fast, then it doesn't put too much pressure on the OL to pass protect. As long as it can run block and push people around, I feel our offense can be somewhat successful. Garnett would have been of greater help than Fusco, just like Tomlinson is much better for us than Beadles. I don't care if Tomlinson pass protects like a God. If he can make our running game work, then great. Hoyer can either get the ball out or get destroyed. Next year we need to invest on the OL if we want to protect our future investment at QB.

18 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I wasn't against it. I think he wouldn't have been too bad this year. If the passing offense is predicated on getting the ball out fast, then it doesn't put too much pressure on the OL to pass protect. As long as it can run block and push people around, I feel our offense can be somewhat successful. Garnett would have been of greater help than Fusco, just like Tomlinson is much better for us than Beadles. I don't care if Tomlinson pass protects like a God. If he can make our running game work, then great. Hoyer can either get the ball out or get destroyed. Next year we need to invest on the OL if we want to protect our future investment at QB.

Which makes it sad that we are still one of the worst teams in protecting the quarterback

Archived