Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

2 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Italy is 7x more densely populated than America. It's hard to make a strong comparison. Their public transit probably gets (or got) a lot higher % of their population. 

They are also much smaller and easier to lock down, and have been testing much more on a percentage basis.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not religious, so take this for what it’s worth, but any church that doesn’t suspend services or stream them (ie cancel the live “events”) needs to now and forever stop talking about the ish they do like helping the community, aiding the sick, etc, etc.

Gathering hundreds of people in a confined space elbow to elbow to shake hands and in some cases receive communion is nothing short of negligent imo, as is attending.

I won’t dive deep on this, but I’ll just say it’s hard for old folks who carry cash and a checkbook to tithe online. That’s the motivation, nothing more.

I'm sure that's the underlying reason in some cases.  In others, there are certainly church leaders that don't understand or buy into the danger.  In that case, they're no different than thousands of businesses out there making the decision to keep their doors open too.

Lots of very large, very public corporations have made the decision to close.  That decision hasn't yet rolled downhill to the small businesses.  For example: my company is not closing, and is still expecting people to show up to the office.

Anyway, a lot has changed this week.  A lot more will change next week.  I wouldn't be surprised if the number of churches closed dramatically rises by this time next week.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

They are also much smaller and easier to lock down, and have been testing much more on a percentage basis.

I’m also curious as to how much of their population is in complete denial regarding the severity of it?

we’re somewhere around 40%

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I'm sure that's the underlying reason in some cases.  In others, there are certainly church leaders that don't understand or buy into the danger.  In that case, they're no different than thousands of businesses out there making the decision to keep their doors open too.

is this a church or a business or both?  Only one of those should be the right answer.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Lots of very large, very public corporations have made the decision to close.  That decision hasn't yet rolled downhill to the small businesses.  For example: my company is not closing, and is still expecting people to show up to the office.

Probably because they can’t afford it. 

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Anyway, a lot has changed this week.  A lot more will change next week.  I wouldn't be surprised if the number of churches closed dramatically rises by this time next week.

Agreed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's actually really easy to make a strong comparison, since the progression of the disease has been basically identical. It was so easy they even color coded for you.

It's staggered by 2 weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Italy is 7x more densely populated than America. It's hard to make a strong comparison. Their public transit probably gets (or got) a lot higher % of their population. 

4 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

It's staggered by 2 weeks. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2