The Next 4 Games Will Determine the Fate of Our Regime

roger murdock

43 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I agree that inaccuracy did hinder him last week.  But against the Steelers he seemed pretty accurate.  I just think 2 weeks isn't enough time to determine his fate.  He has a lot more positives than negatives, especially at this point.

It is too soon, he has to get comfortable and if we can figure out when that is then we can see what his accuracy looks like. My #1 requirement for a QB is accuracy though, without it nothing else matters. I'd rather have an accurate Kessler arm than an inaccurate Dan Marino arm. Obviously it is best to have a strong and accurate arm.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:18 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Really?

Peyton threw 28 picks as a rookie and didn't win anything, what did that tell us?

These expectations around here are (as usual) absurd.

Before you throw anymore stats at me, what did Manning have around him that first year? I'm all for giving a rookie time to learn but the Colts look like garbage. If Kizer plays the same way he did against Pit, he SHOULD look really good vs the Colts. If he struggles against them then Hue better identify what part of his game needs the most work. 

that is all

mastercheddaar

8 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Before you throw anymore stats at me, what did Manning have around him that first year? I'm all for giving a rookie time to learn but the Colts look like garbage. If Kizer plays the same way he did against Pit, he SHOULD look really good vs the Colts. If he struggles against them then Hue better identify what part of his game needs the most work. 

that is all

mastercheddaar

What did he have around him? Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Ken Dilger, Marcus pollard, Tarik Glenn.....

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To some degree that young QB and his WR's are going to have to be the ones to help themselves.

Both teams stacked the LOS and were going to force a rookie qb (and those WR's) to beat them vertically. At some point Kizer is going to have to start making teams pay for that, but thus far their have been poor throws, poor reads, dropped passes, miscommunications, and an inibility to get open at times. Once teams start getting toasted, the coverage will adjust and the run game will open up.

And while he may have only had 17 rushes, what was the ypc on those attempts? It's not as if he was ignoring a run game that was getting 5 ypc.

3.4 yards per carry by the backs. Pretty damn good for going against that defense, with a stacked box, and with Crow doing the fox trot behind the line half the time.

2 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

It was until Joe Thomas craps all over my point with the whole "run efficiency > rush average" point he made at the end of his presser yesterday. Now I don't know how to think, because that kind of math is above my pay grade.

Lol, I haven't watched yet but I will on my next break.

Just now, ditchdigger said:

It was until Joe Thomas craps all over my point with the whole "run efficiency > rush average" point he made at the end of his presser yesterday. Now I don't know how to think, because that kind of math is above my pay grade.

I heard him explaining it.  It had to do with 60% of the runs resulting in 4+ yards, a first down, or a touchdown.  You can have runs of 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, and 70 and you will have one hell of a ypc.  But That doesn't translate well into the efficiency.  You wouldn't want to run the ball on 3rd and 4 if only one of 8-10 runs have actually went that distance.  There would be no confidence in being able to pick it up.  That may not be exactly how it works, but it's similar from what I understood.

14 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I heard him explaining it.  It had to do with 60% of the runs resulting in 4+ yards, a first down, or a touchdown.  You can have runs of 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, and 70 and you will have one hell of a ypc.  But That doesn't translate well into the efficiency.  You wouldn't want to run the ball on 3rd and 4 if only one of 8-10 runs have actually went that distance.  There would be no confidence in being able to pick it up.  That may not be exactly how it works, but it's similar from what I understood.

Ah, well that makes perfect sense. YPC is a good overall indicator, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or, as @Mastercheddaar might say, Corey Coleman and.....

....that is all.

We got Duke and a few decent TEs we could try throwing to more. But if Hue wants to continue to call plays for the Sensational Kenny Britt and the Stunning Stonehand Gang then we are not going to be very good.  

xD Now I can think of is Britt and company dressed as KISS singing, "Kizer keeps on passing, He keeps on throwin! I, not gonna catch a ball ALL NIGHT!!!! and hold on every play." 

That is all

mastercheddaar

4 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

This is the type of running we saw from Barry Sanders with the Lions.  He had a crap line his entire career and that stat line looked a lot like his typical lines.  He was just that talented, most yards were yards after contact, the bulk of his yards came on plays that he broke a bunch of tackles, slipped free, and it was off to the races.  He was also almost always facing a stacked line with defenses loading everyone up front to stop him.  Truly the GOAT, had he been on a team with a line that actually opened holes, and a passing game to demand at least a little respect, he would have set a record that would have never been broken.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:12 PM, bosko1616 said:

Hues play calling is subject to how well the team is playing. If we're behind all game we gotta throw the ball to get back into it. Would he like to be a heavy run team? sure but when your consistently behind and don't have a true bell cow. How can you run the ball. 

When you've got one of the youngest QBs to ever start a pro game and lackluster WRs/TEs, you've got to keep running the ball. This has to be your approach if you're even considering starting Kizer from way back in camp. You alter your playcalling and practice to emphasize this. If you need more depth or talent in the backfield to make it work you go acquire it. You're not going to win throwing the ball 80% of the time with one of the youngest rookie QBs and poor talent at the receiver positions. That ought to be obvious.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:13 PM, mistakey said:

Hue Jackson got 24 TD and 7 INT out of andy dalton in 13 games to the tune of 8.4 YPA, and got 1805 rushing yards that season for his team, to the tune of 13th best in the league.  this was with a bad jeremy hill as the starter.  

Did Hue Jackson forget how to call plays?
or is it that his super young team is making mistakes/doesnt have enough talent yet on offense (which was pretty commonly accepted before the start of the season)?

im gonna go with 2

Hue can call plays. But has he shown the ability to adapt a system to particular players? ..or does he just plug players into his system. (..and given the results here I'm not confident Hue had any real decision making on those previous players talent evaluation in the first place. If you can't evaluate them how can you adapt a system to them?) Jay Gruden arguably got better production out of Andy Dalton and the rushing yards were relatively the same except for Jeremy Hill's rookie year, when he looked like one of the best young backs in the game.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:24 PM, buno67 said:

also how can you trust to call run plays when the RB cant read the blocking and the #2 RB has to be used as a WR

Duke didn't have to be used as a WR. He hasn't been very good as a RB, that's why they made the switch.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:46 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Ok look if your ideal life is to live the life of negativity, you go ahead and be you. Lets be real Eeyore carved his nice little niche in them 100 acre woods no doubt. I'm sure he's doing alright for himself right now.  Those that are complaining about Hue and the coaching, do you realize that we as a 1-15 team that were completely gutted and overhauled took on 2 of our division's absolute best?  2 teams that have a legitimate shot at the super bowl? 

Yeah I know why bother?

d7858d3d520ad86b17925be52ceaaa6c.jpg

My gripe is with the entire approach from FO and HC. It really didn't take a genius to recognize the skill positions were lacking heading into this season. What was the gameplan or philosophy to try and field a competitive team? If the coach is sour on Kessler for whatever reason then what was your plan? If you felt there was a strong possibility you'd be starting a rookie, then where's your plan for that?

Evaluating Crowell as a #1 RB heading into the year. Awful. Not having a legit #2 RB besides a 7th round rookie heading into the year...especially with a rookie QB.. Awful. Evaluating Coleman as your #1 WR heading to the year. Awful. Not franchising an obvious talent like Pryor. Awful. (Think there's a correlation with no threat on the outside and Pitt/Bal keying on Crowell?) Not keeping a steady vet like Barnidge around on a young team with lackluster skill talent. Awful. Not at least running the ball half as much as you're throwing it in the first 2 gms with a guy who would've been a Jr in college this year taking the snaps. Awful. Doing it the right way isn't assuring you of wins but screwing it up almost certainly assures you of losses.

I think they simply got lucky with Kizer's performance week 1, because they're not setting him up for any kind of success...sort of like Kessler last year.

I don't think we're beating Indy and it's not just a glass half empty thing. We have nothing to match Gore/Hilton/Doyle on offense and the Colts defense looked really good last week. I guess we need to hope Brissett has some kind of melt down. (which would be interesting because he was this FO's 1st choice after trading out of Wentz last year..but anyways)

Sorry but the #1 overall pick again is a distinct reality. And the HC and the FO would both be on fire. I'd gladly be wrong..but...

Archived