Saturday Mock

BZski

FA:

CB- Byron Jones- Multiple reports that the Lions are going to make a run at him and with BQ/MP in win-now mode they get their prize FA. 5 years 16 mil a year

DT- Venon Butler- I am not sure why he is so under the radar but he fits our defense very well IMO an upgrade over AShawn. 3 yr 11 mil

NG- Beau Allen- BQ targeted him in FA in the past before he signed with the Bucs and I can see him going after him again on the cheap. 2 yr 4 mil

MLB- Nick Kwaitkoski- We need a thumper in the middle. NK looked fantastic when giving the starting role in CHI when Travathan went down. 5 yr 35 mil

CB- Bradley Roby- Is familiar with Undlein and can play outside and slot. He can battle AO for #2 CB and also fill in for Coleman if there are any injuries there. 2 yr 16 mil

Draft:

DET trades #3 pick to LAC for #6, #37, #71, and a 2021 2nd rd pick

DET trades CB Darius Slay to PHI for the #53 pick

#6- Play maker- Isiah Simmons- I have been all over the place between Simmons, Okudah, and Brown but Simmons is the type of versatile play maker this defense needs. I see him in the Tavon Wilson role to start but he allows us to limited packages because he can play all over the place and adjust on the fly.

#35- WR- Jalen Reagor- Draft is deep at WR but we get the explosive WR that the offense lacks. He has deep ball speed but also is great at getting YAC. IMO he is a better Deebo Samuel.

#37- DE- AJ Epenesa- Had a bad combine and it looks like he is falling to rd 2 in most mocks. He fits our defense very well as MP prefers the power pass rushers in his scheme.

#53- G/C- Cesar Ruiz- His value seems to be late 1st mid 2nd so this may be wishful thinking but he is a versatile interior OL that can play both G spots and C. Replacement for GG.

#67- MLB- Logan Wilson- this will be the "WTF" pick for Lions fans but I think he goes much higher than projections and I think the Lions loved him from SB.

#71- OT- Ben Bartch- Small school guy that showed very nice at SB. Good guy to develop to replace Wagner at RT in 2021.

#99- RB- Cam Akers- Explosive RB that can be effective in the run game and passing game. Keyyon insurance.

#131- DT- Leki Fotu- Strictly a NT but he has potential to be a steal this late.

#155- WR- Donovan Peoples-Jones- Tested off the charts at the combine and in this deep WR draft could be a steal. He adds immediately as a returner.

#163- P- Brandon Mann- Martin is gone, we all know it, Lions made no secret they like Brandon Mann as they requested he was on their SB roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What are you doing to me man?! Simmons, a stud WR AND Epenesa, not to mention Ruiz?? That would be absolutely nuts.

I feel like Epenesa has become one of my favorite players in this draft, so landing one of the blue chippers and him is my best-case scenario.

I like Epenesa much more in rd 2. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman and Patrick Kerney. 

If they are going to sign a DT it should be Javon Hargrave.  He might cost more but he gets it done in the running game and passing game.  Not a big fan of Bradley Roby.  He has crazy physical skills but has never played to his potential.  I like the Kwaitoski signing but would rather have another LB who can cover TEs and RB because as things stand, we have ZERO LBs who can cover.  I don't think Epenesa falls past the late first round.  The one thing that would be problematic if our off-season when like this is that we get no O-line help in free agency and don't pick an offensive lineman until #71.  Rick Wagner has been terrible for two years but Tyrell Crosby played well at LT and RT.  He should be able to step into a starting RT role.  

Our situation at guard is another story.  Joe Dahl is our starting LG.  He is a decent player but is probably a really good back-up rather than being a really good starter.  The Lions are letting Graham Glasgow test the free agent market.  Bottom line:  we have gaping holes at our starting guard positions.  At least one of them has to be filled by a veteran free agent.  

21 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

If they are going to sign a DT it should be Javon Hargrave.  He might cost more but he gets it done in the running game and passing game.  Not a big fan of Bradley Roby.  He has crazy physical skills but has never played to his potential.  I like the Kwaitoski signing but would rather have another LB who can cover TEs and RB because as things stand, we have ZERO LBs who can cover.  I don't think Epenesa falls past the late first round.  The one thing that would be problematic if our off-season when like this is that we get no O-line help in free agency and don't pick an offensive lineman until #71.  Rick Wagner has been terrible for two years but Tyrell Crosby played well at LT and RT.  He should be able to step into a starting RT role.  

Our situation at guard is another story.  Joe Dahl is our starting LG.  He is a decent player but is probably a really good back-up rather than being a really good starter.  The Lions are letting Graham Glasgow test the free agent market.  Bottom line:  we have gaping holes at our starting guard positions.  At least one of them has to be filled by a veteran free agent.  

Hargrave will cost a lot more. I went a little cheap at DT but I am really high on Butler which nobody else seems to be, lol. Nick K showed last season he is very adequate in coverage plus with adding Simmons he will play some of that role. We added Ruiz at G at #53 in this mock. I think he is a day one starter at either R/LG.

I think Epenesa is kind of overrated. In last year's draft he would have been well down the list, certainly no higher than #6 among edge rushers and maybe not even there. There are just hardly any premium edge guys this year after Young, which makes last year's decision to take Hockenson sting even more.

Simmons is very intriguing but I honestly think he's got a fair amount of bust potential. A guy with no clear position can be good if he's just that great of a player, or goes to a team with a proven ability to fit guys in the right roles, but if he's not a paradigm changing talent he can just as easily get caught trying to learn too much. He isn't going to be covering wide receivers in the NFL, I feel pretty confident saying that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Simmons is very intriguing but I honestly think he's got a fair amount of bust potential. A guy with no clear position can be good if he's just that great of a player, or goes to a team with a proven ability to fit guys in the right roles, but if he's not a paradigm changing talent he can just as easily get caught trying to learn too much. He isn't going to be covering wide receivers in the NFL, I feel pretty confident saying that.

Eh, I actually think Simmons' floor is quite high. It's one thing to be a player that doesn't truly fit any positions. That isn't Simmons. You could start this guy at WLB immediately, and his floor at that position is pretty freaking high. If you wanted a versatile strong safety, he'd fit well in that role.

I sure hope that he's not covering NFL WRs at 230+ pounds. He'll excel at covering TEs, making him a valuable talent to have.

• Like 1

I like the draft for the most part.  I am not overly high on Reagor. He is a poor mans Golden Tate IMO and although I would use this pick on a Tate like player, I just dont want the poor mans version.  I actually think with DPJ's combine he will be pushed much higher up the board (2nd/3rd round).  I actually think he has a better NFL career than Reagor once he gets some real coaching in the NFL.  

The rest of the draft is solid.  I would like to see Gallimore instead of Reagor and then maybe another WR late (maybe where you took Fotu because I also dont think he will last that long).  Overall, good mock and I would be ok with this. 

12 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Simmons is very intriguing but I honestly think he's got a fair amount of bust potential. A guy with no clear position can be good if he's just that great of a player, or goes to a team with a proven ability to fit guys in the right roles, but if he's not a paradigm changing talent he can just as easily get caught trying to learn too much.

I'm in agreement on this. I've said several times I think he is going to be one of the 3 people we end up with, but he scares me a little bit. Is he the next Brian Urlacher or Boss Bailey? Are those even fair comparisons? It's as if someone else drafts him he'll be a superstar, if we draft him, he'll be a bust. He's definitely polarizing.  All the talent in the world though.  Also, would we want to use the 6th pick on a wlb?  I'm not a big fan of that.  I know he, in theory, offers so much more, but ultimately that's what you are doing with Simmons.  I wouldn't be upset with him at 6, but I would be concerned. For me, if we draft Simmons, we have to get another 1st round DL to be ok with it.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I'm in agreement on this. I've said several times I think he is going to be one of the 3 people we end up with, but he scares me a little bit. Is he the next Brian Urlacher or Boss Bailey? Are those even fair comparisons? It's as if someone else drafts him he'll be a superstar, if we draft him, he'll be a bust. He's definitely polarizing.  All the talent in the world though.  Also, would we want to use the 6th pick on a wlb?  I'm not a big fan of that.  I know he, in theory, offers so much more, but ultimately that's what you are doing with Simmons.  I wouldn't be upset with him at 6, but I would be concerned. For me, if we draft Simmons, we have to get another 1st round DL to be ok with it.

I think the interesting thing about Simmons is that he profiles as an elite WLB and is perfect in nickel packages, one of the most frequently used defensive formations right now. He also adds value as a blitzer, giving the defense added variety.

He's a guy that never has to leave the field, and is great at whichever role you'd want him to play. It gives a team a lot of personnel flexibility.

• Like 1