1980s Sci-Fi - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

They were two kids who were uneducated and it was "stressful for them because of their lack of education on human sexuality" and did not know any better and were about to die on an Island....  And have you seen the young Brook Shields?   Maybe they were second cousins, but honestly who cares it is freaking Brook Shields.  That baby of theirs was pretty dumb though.  

Are you nominating it for that reason?  And Pretty Baby too?

9 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

4)  Predator (this really belongs more in Action, but with the ridiculous genre bending and ignoring we've allowed and seen win...)

If it doesn't win you can use it again in action.

Just now, Daniel said:

The Empire Strikes Back. That’s it.

Zero percent chance I even consider anything else.

I’d argue Star Wars is fantasy in space more than science fiction unless you don’t purposefully ignore midichlorians.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I’d argue Star Wars is fantasy in space more than science fiction unless you don’t purposefully ignore midichlorians.

I have had the Star Wars genre debate many times. For the purposes of this poll, like a lot of the movies nominated, it can fit in a lot of genres.

It’s an intentionally derived myth, which is why it feels like a fantasy to some, but I would call it a space western. The desert setting, the fact that Han is dressed as a cowboy without a hat, the cantina/saloon, and the borrowing from the samurai films of Kurosawa (which heavily influenced westerns), etc.

Space western!

@Daniel, E’rbody knows about the western similarities, but don’t get me started on defining a Western.  I’d have to dig out my old school papers to tell you how it doesn’t fit any of the narrative tropes or mores of a Western.  I don’t want to turn up the pretentious BS. It’s got Western visuals, but only visuals.  It has almost every single narrative feature of a fantasy.  

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Now after you poop your pants in anger because how dare I quote you, good luck against these in the 80s for romance.  Good night.

An Officer and a Gentleman
Children of a Lesser God
Terms of Endearment
The Blue Lagoon

Not even including Dirty Dancing because was not a giant fan of that.  

Not to mention Romancing the Stone