Is Nicholson the answer at Safety?

turtle28

24 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Did you ever watch ST's college film? It was clear he was going to be an elite talent in the NFL

Its pretty silly to use a HOF caliber player to justify this argument.  That's like saying we should consider taking a Punter in the first round because Ray Guy was awesome.  

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I've never ever disagreed with that, ever but having an elite FS takes a good D and makes them great. See all the teams with elite FS's. See Ravens, Redskins when they had Reed & we had Taylor, and we didn't even have an good pass rush when Taylor was here.

For the millionth time, there will never be another Sean Taylor, so stop trying to find one.  

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

For the millionth time, there will never be another Sean Taylor, so stop trying to find one.  

I agree but that is no justification for passing on an elite FS, if he's the best player on the board and you don't already have a great FS you should take him.

I don't think the Jets are going to regret taking Adams, the Colts are not going to regret taking Malik Hooker. Marcus Williams and Von Bell are already making Kenny Vaccaro expendable in New Orleans. Bell was their 2nd round pick last year and Williams was their 2nd round pick this year.

Honestly idk if this kid is the awnser yet. Some players have good stretches until the league finds things they lack on film. That said this guy has looked like a vet deep and in the box. He's big can hit and has range and ball skills. I know he has earned his time on the field and I'm very impressed and excited to see him grow!!

4 hours ago, mar29020 said:

skins need to continue to dump picks into the defense and get a LG

That's why you don't draft for need!!! You draft the best players avalible because eventually you can have groups with so much depth that all of them stay fresh and have major impacts even with less snaps. We should continue to draft for value and attitude!!! These guys in recent years you can see have a football first attitude. Of course some guys missed the last few years but these last 3 drafts showed up huge against Oakland!!!!!

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

That's why you don't draft for need!!! You draft the best players avalible because eventually you can have groups with so much depth that all of them stay fresh and have major impacts even with less snaps. We should continue to draft for value and attitude!!! These guys in recent years you can see have a football first attitude. Of course some guys missed the last few years but these last 3 drafts showed up huge against Oakland!!!!!

Oakland raiders are overrated I don't see them making the playoffs .

i actually think we broke there spirit especially if they lose to Denver .

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

Oakland raiders are overrated I don't see them making the playoffs .

i actually think we broke there spirit especially if they lose to Denver .

I don't think Oakland is overrated, they're probably still a 10 or 11 win team. I do think we are underrated though. We are literally 1 bad throw away from being 3-0.

He's done well. I'd be cautious to expect too much out of a rookie. But he's been challenged this season and has met those challenges. Don't know how much of that is his pedigree, coaching, or his teammates.

If he plays like this the rest of the season, I would say that safety is not a pertinent need in the offseason/draft.

34 minutes ago, Slateman said:

He's done well. I'd be cautious to expect too much out of a rookie. But he's been challenged this season and has met those challenges. Don't know how much of that is his pedigree, coaching, or his teammates.

If he plays like this the rest of the season, I would say that safety is not a pertinent need in the offseason/draft.

I heard Nicholson give a lot of credit to Swearinger. Swearinger has made a huge difference on our defense just out of attitude and communication alone. It seems he's got some London Fletcher in him where he's almost like a coach on the field.

I am inclined to see that a front 7 can make the back 4 better simply because they are not left alone for very long. If the QB is under complete duress, there is a greater chance for turnovers because of QB mistakes. 

But if a S has good range, much like Taylor did, the front 7 will simply make him that much better. Taylor was great because of his range, his speed an just the ability of having a nose for the ball. I get tired of hearing all these S's that say they want to be like him. Hey, that's great. But there is no S out there right now that has been able to be that kind of player. But having a solid front 7 who can get pressure, allows the S's to be more ball hawking. 

And you're not going to convince me that Thomas, Berry, Collins, Clinton-Dix, Adams, Hooker, are anything like him. They are not. Its a completely different position now and a completely different mindset. 

No one is saying they are Sean Taylor. I don't know if there will ever be another safety as complete as Sean Taylor was.

That being said, to act like other safeties don't have great range, can't make unbelievable plays on the ball and don't have great instincts themselves just doesn't hold any water either.

Good and great safeties are a cross between a corner and a linebacker and they are the ones most freed up to read offenses from deep, see plays as they develop and make plays. They are the ones who get blocked the least by OL which allows them to fly around in make plays in the run game. If the front 7 or corners don't  make a tackle in the run game or a pass gets off and the corners get beat, you need good players on the back end to keep those passes/mistakes from becoming big plays. 

Some say they are the furthest away from the line of scrimmage so they don't matter as much well when I watched the game Sunday night I seem to remember Swearinger and Nicholson mattering a whole hell of a lot. They matter, just in a different way than those closer to the line of scrimmage and if you have good ones who can cover, tackle and have good ball skills it makes a huge difference on a defense.

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

I am inclined to see that a front 7 can make the back 4 better simply because they are not left alone for very long. If the QB is under complete duress, there is a greater chance for turnovers because of QB mistakes. 

But if a S has good range, much like Taylor did, the front 7 will simply make him that much better. Taylor was great because of his range, his speed an just the ability of having a nose for the ball. I get tired of hearing all these S's that say they want to be like him. Hey, that's great. But there is no S out there right now that has been able to be that kind of player. But having a solid front 7 who can get pressure, allows the S's to be more ball hawking. 

And you're not going to convince me that Thomas, Berry, Collins, Clinton-Dix, Adams, Hooker, are anything like him. They are not. Its a completely different position now and a completely different mindset. 

I think it's the other way around. The front 7 are good, but the secondary is making them look even better. They're locking guys down. You pick on Fuller and Nicholson right now, you are paying. They're locking down receivers just long enough to force opposing QBs to go to second and third reads, which allows our revamped front 7 to get to the QB.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

I think it's the other way around. The front 7 are good, but the secondary is making them look even better. They're locking guys down. You pick on Fuller and Nicholson right now, you are paying. They're locking down receivers just long enough to force opposing QBs to go to second and third reads, which allows our revamped front 7 to get to the QB.

Against the Raiders they were rushing 4 and getting there.  Those 4 guys were doing work, and Carr looked really uncomfortable in the pocket.  I agree with Mike.

Archived