Lions sign OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai (5 year, $50 M)

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Or that Lane Johnson is probably the best RT in the game and they drafted their LTOTF to replace Peters. 

Yeah, exactly. It seems pretty transparent.

But, so be it. I understand that this is the fanbase of negativity, and that context is the enemy. Whatever. They signed a 26 year old run blocker to play RT.

8 minutes ago, winitall said:

I also think it’s worth pointing out that if everyone thought he was a stud, someone would have traded for him over the last few years. Someone would give a 3rd in a heartbeat if they saw a top-10 RT based on his film after he played a ton in 2017 on a rookie deal. Or the Eagles would have made a move to figure out how to get him more snaps. I just don’t see a relatively smart franchise in the Eagles wasting a potential top RT as a swing tackle for 4 years without getting more value. 

Probably the best point made in this thread.  The eagles obviously knew they weren’t going to keep him.  

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, exactly. It seems pretty transparent.

But, so be it. I understand that this is the fanbase of negativity, and that context is the enemy. Whatever. They signed a 26 year old run blocker to play RT.

52.6 PFF grade in those starts.  The negativity is well deserved. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Also to be fair, in 2018, he had a 49.9 grade with 4 sacks allowed in 300 snaps.  So if he is magically that much better on the right side, you give him a prove it deal, not top 8 RT money. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Although I've agreed with almost everything you've said, I do think it is a fair point of TL's that he was playing out of position at LT for most those starts. Does anyone know his pff grade at RT only?

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Although I've agreed with almost everything you've said, I do think it is a fair point of TL's that he was playing out of position at LT for most those starts. Does anyone know his pff grade at RT only?

My point is he likely could be a good RT, but its an experiment.  If his play on the field at LT shows he is trash and shouldnt be in the league, its an experiment to pay him top 8 money on the right side.  Give hima prove it deal.  He has done nothing to show he is worth close to that contract.  He has shown nothing better than what Crosby has shown.  So bring him in to compete with Crosby but dont pay him top end starter money to do it.  I hope he turns out, but its a stupid contract no matter how you look at it. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

My point is he likely could be a good RT, but its an experiment.  If his play on the field at LT shows he is trash and shouldnt be in the league, its an experiment to pay him top 8 money on the right side.  Give hima prove it deal.  He has done nothing to show he is worth close to that contract.  He has shown nothing better than what Crosby has shown.  So bring him in to compete with Crosby but dont pay him top end starter money to do it.  I hope he turns out, but its a stupid contract no matter how you look at it. 

I absolutely agree.  I was just wondering what his PFF grade was on the right side to possibly help make some sense of the signing.  As it stands now, it makes no sense and I would have rather had Glasgow and Wagner.

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If the arguments against George Jefferson ignored context and reason, sure.

Context = he sucked at LT

Reason = He must be an amazing RT, and Quinn must know what he is doing which is why we are always so good at football and support everything he does

Response = Give him all the money

8 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I absolutely agree.  I was just wondering what his PFF grade was on the right side to possibly help make some sense of the signing.  As it stands now, it makes no sense and I would have rather had Glasgow and Wagner.

That is good context and reasoning.  From all we have, he has been very bad when he played, other than a couple games at the end of 2019 when he was about as good as Wagner.  I dont have the premium membership so I can't split it by LT and RT.  So I am using the context of the information I have, the response from talent evaluators around the country, the statistics, and the coparison to other Rt contracts to reasonably confirm this was a bad signing.  Even if it works out and he plays well, he did not earn this contract based on what he has shown to date.  

• Like 1