Falcons sign DE Dante Fowler to 3 yr, 48M deal

.Buzz

Don't like it. A single pass rusher isn't going to change the Falcons fortunes on defense (they need quantity more than anything else), and I suspect that we grossly overpaid for Fowler. I've never been impressed with Fowler's work, and I expect him to be mediocre in his time in Atlanta. I would legitimately rather have Trufant on the roster than Fowler.

I'll be a bit more optimistic if they got Fowler on the cheap, but I expect that the Falcons basically blew their load so they can say to the fans "look, we fixed the pass rush!" and then go on to have a mediocre draft before being fired.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 3

Okay yeah, the Falcons basically blew their load. Well it was nice knowing Dan and TD. Time to look at 2021 Head Coach and General Manager candidates I guess.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't think ATL is going to be happy paying him that much once they see him as the main guy/without Calais or Donald with him.

We have Grady Jarrett who has been very disruptive, but that's it. I think this is more about signaling to the fanbase that they care about the defense. IE "we fixed the pass rush now guys!". Even though the pass rush still needs another 3-4 bodies to fill. The Falcons grossly overpaid on this move. Matt's basically got to play at a top 3 level in 2020 if we want to even just sniff a wildcard.

Edited by Hukos

Just now, Hukos said:

Okay yeah, the Falcons basically blew their load. Well it was nice knowing Dan and TD. Time to look at 2021 Head Coach and General Manager candidates I guess.

We have Grady Jarrett who has been very disruptive, but that's it. I think this is more about signaling to the fanbase that they care about the defense. IE "we fixed the pass rush now guys!". Even though the pass rush still needs another 3-4 bodies to fill. The Falcons grossly overpaid on this move.

Yeah, tried to edit that out at the end because I forgot about Grady. He should help.

I will admit I didn't watch him a ton in LA, but I believe I read an article saying 60-70 percent of his pressures were phantom pressures created by Donald and the rest of that DL.

Hope it works out for their sake, but I'm just not a fan.

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’d like to see Rams fans chime in if Fowler’s pressures and sacks are still primarily the result of scheming him into opportunities or if he’s started to become a disruptive piece by himself. 

Imo this is more than he’s worth. Most of his sacks were cleaning up from AD’s pressures. Rarely generates his own sacks.

• Like 2