The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, Woz said:

This whole argument is going to be splendiforous to review when we end up drafting someone like Denzel Ward with both Vea and Payne available ...

It’s going to be Leighton Vander Esch. We love overdrafting blue collar LBs for some reason.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s going to be Leighton Vander Esch. We love overdrafting blue collar LBs for some reason.

If by "blue collar" you mean LBers too slow and big to be LBers but should instead be DEs in a 4-3, I agree.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

If by "blue collar" you mean LBers too slow and big to be LBers but should instead be DEs in a 4-3, I agree.  

Vander Esch is a 3-4 ILB or 4-3 OLB, not a 3-4 OLB. 

Question, who drafted Preston Smith again? I’d say the guy that did knows how to scout college 4-3 DEs and project them into 3-4 OLBs.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

This whole argument is going to be splendiforous to review when we end up drafting someone like Denzel Ward with both Vea and Payne available ...

I wouldn’t hate it, Ward has defensive rookie of the year and all-pro written all over him just like Marshawn Lattimore of the Saints from last year.

If both available at 13 would you guys take Vita Vea or Fitzpatrick?

This has a 50/50 shot of actually happening I think. If it were up to me I would take Fitzpatrick all day. The problem lies in our 2nd round pick though. If we do take a rb in round 2, a nose tackle isn't happening until the 4th round

46 minutes ago, Eric said:

This has a 50/50 shot of actually happening I think. If it were up to me I would take Fitzpatrick all day. The problem lies in our 2nd round pick though. If we do take a rb in round 2, a nose tackle isn't happening until the 4th round

Vea. I don’t have him graded much lower, and the need is much higher for Vea.

49 minutes ago, Eric said:

Fitzpatrick because he’s simply a better player. 

1 hour ago, Eric said:

If we signed Hankins, we could have the best of both worlds.  Since Bruce Allen is a moron, give me Vea here.

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I mean a true NT is only going to play probably 30% of the defensive snaps.

We would get a good player either way, but I would definitely take Fitzpatrick, he can do so many things. I am really starting to think trading back in first ( even if opportunity presents itself) may not be the smartest move. We should definitely get an impact player at 13 the way the draft is likely to fall

4 hours ago, Eric said:

We would get a good player either way, but I would definitely take Fitzpatrick, he can do so many things. I am really starting to think trading back in first ( even if opportunity presents itself) may not be the smartest move. We should definitely get an impact player at 13 the way the draft is likely to fall

Finally seeing the light. Come into the Turtle cave.

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean a true NT is only going to play probably 30% of the defensive snaps.

Yeah, this is why it is important to identify the "NT" draftees that could also be useful on Nickel snaps. 

This is why I'm leaning towards Vea as the better value over Payne. Vea has more pass rush prowess, imo, if asked to pin ears back inside. 

( not a Payne hater, either. I see him as a worthwhile player in the 25-40 range )

Top 15? give me a guy that I feel can effectively stuff the run in base, while also seeing some snaps inside, when they go to Nickel. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, this is why it is important to identify the "NT" draftees that could also be useful on Nickel snaps. 

This is why I'm leaning towards Vea as the better value over Payne. Vea has more pass rush prowess, imo, if asked to pin ears back inside. 

( not a Payne hater, either. I see him as a worthwhile player in the 25-40 range )

Top 15? give me a guy that I feel can effectively stuff the run in base, while also seeing some snaps inside, when they go to Nickel. 

I honestly don’t think it’s going to matter much. Neither Payne or Vea will play much in nickel. 

We have Allen, Ioannidis and Lanier - who had 5 sacks in about a half season w/ meaninisnaps last year - as good to great interior pas rushers. We also have 1 great and 2 other good OLBs so we could put them all on the field together and have Kerrigan or Preston Smith rush over the guard. 

No matter what NT we draft in whatever round or if we sign Hankins, they’re not going to get a lot of snaps in the nickel defense. At most our starting NT in our D is looking at 50% of snaps, but probably closer to 40%.

Archived