The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

What do you guys think of the Florida State big safety prospect. I don't think its our number 1 or 2  need (run defense and pass rusher are), but he has some great highlights. That Bama DL looks pretty good to at 13 (Payne)

My two top players for us to get are Payne and James in that order. Either one would give us a young stud on defense which is what we need. You could argue that after letting fuller go, James would be the better pick because he can play both safety positions and slot. But of course I'm biased as a FSU fan.

1 minute ago, Umbaugh21 said:

My two top players for us to get are Payne and James in that order. Either one would give us a young stud on defense which is what we need. You could argue that after letting fuller go, James would be the better pick because he can play both safety positions and slot. But of course I'm biased as a FSU fan.

I certainly wouldn’t be against this but for me I’d rather see the Redskins draft a running back in round 2.

While losing Bree & Fuller are big losses we can’t lose sight of the fact that we re-signed Dunny and we drafted Moreau last year to be Breeland’s replacement on the outside opposite Norman.

Either Dunny or Moreau are likely to be our starting corner opposite Norman and we’ll see what happens with the slot. I haven’t really formed an opinion that Moreau can’t be our answer at the slot position because I don’t know the answer to that one way or the other. 

This time last year not many had faith in fuller developing into a good or even great slot corner like he did in 2017. I was one of the ones that said we needed to give Fuller a shot to be the guy in the slot and I believed he could do it, when I got chastised by most of this forum and on twitter for having that opinion.

We have to have some faith in the development of the guys who are already on our roster like Dunny, Moreau and Holsey who they really like as well and has a lot of the same skills that Fuller has as far as playing the slot.

44 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Dhall thinks fuller will be an amazing starter . Said he gonna be elite 

I believe it at the same time, corners usually don’t win you games tough, but it is true they can lose you games if you don’t have at least good ones. We’ve re-signed Dunny and drafted Moreau last year to be the replacements. We have Holsey to develop who flashed a little bit and has some talent.

Now, losing a top 10 qb and not having a replacement for him seems like a much larger problem than losing a great slot corner.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I believe it at the same time, corners usually don’t win you games tough, but it is true they can lose you games if you don’t have at least good ones. We’ve re-signed Dunny and drafted Moreau last year to be the replacements. We have Holsey to develop who flashed a little bit and has some talent.

Now, losing a top 10 qb and not having a replacement for him seems like a much larger problem than losing a great slot corner.

Where do you rank smith .

On 12/12/2017 at 12:28 PM, Doc Draper said:

Step 1 Develop a plan

2. Hire the best peoole

3. Gather as many resources get rid of the old deadwood and trade anybody over 28 to gather more picks ( means being even worse for 2 years)

4. Draft and develop high ceiling passionate football players

5. Win

its not rocket science, but like a diet or anything else- you need a plan and commit to the plan. No shortcuts

I'm going through this whole thread, so I'm WAYYYY behind. However, I liked this post with one exception:

I'd argue you need to hire the best people before developing a plan. You want the best people to be invested in their plan not handed one and grudgingly execute it.

#4 is the trick. Finding the "passion" is the challenge.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm going through this whole thread, so I'm WAYYYY behind. However, I liked this post with one exception:

I'd argue you need to hire the best people before developing a plan. You want the best people to be invested in their plan not handed one and grudgingly execute it.

#4 is the trick. Finding the "passion" is the challenge.

Hiring the best people is part of the plan. In any case, there has to be a model to build with. Unfortunately, the Redskins are not capable of developing such a plan. 

Let’s see what happens the rest of this offseason. It’s totally plausible now that we have the qb position settled for at least the next few years that we can move on. It’s totally plausible that we will find a starting RB in FA or the draft this offseason, a better wr to start opposite Doctson - preferably a speedster - and our D will improve and actually stay healthy in 2018, unlike 2017.

Now it’s most likely that Bruce Allen will screw it up somehow, but we just need to see what happens. I’m hopeful we re-sign Zach Brown, Cravens has finally got his mind straight and returns to be our 3rd/hybrid safety and dime ILB again, and we find a starting a NT, RB and WR in free agency or the draft. 

Thats a lot of things to have happen correctly this offseason and we likely won’t get them all done, but if we just get better at starting RB and NT at the least and stay more healthy on OL and defense, our team should be at worst equivalent to it was the last 3 years, if not better.

Didn't wanna wanna let go of fuller but he wasn't some probowl corner who was shutting down Jones .

for all we know he sucks next year ... and if skins think breeland better than sure . Like it or not breeland was good his first two years and had a shaky third year and did better this year . Made some good tackles to.

just trying be positive here fellas we can't predict fuller future . If he's great than damn??‍♂️

46 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Didn't wanna wanna let go of fuller but he wasn't some probowl corner who was shutting down Jones .

for all we know he sucks next year ... and if skins think breeland better than sure . Like it or not breeland was good his first two years and had a shaky third year and did better this year . Made some good tackles to.

just trying be positive here fellas we can't predict fuller future . If he's great than damn??‍♂️

They don't think Breeland is better otherwise they wouldn't have benched him against the Chargers. They paid Dunbar and they are going to let Breeland walk. Bruce, yet again, turning a strength into a weakness.

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They don't think Breeland is better otherwise they wouldn't have benched him against the Chargers. They paid Dunbar and they are going to let Breeland walk. Bruce, yet again, turning a strength into a weakness.

Breeland got benched because he made mistakes early in the game, it happens. They could have benched Swearinger just the same for blowing at least one coverage. The good thing is that Bree rebounded, had a pick 6 when they put him back in later and finished out the rest of the season strong. Just because they benched Bree one time in 4 years doesn’t mean they don’t think Bree is better. 

The reason they chose Dunbar over Bree - at least so far FA hasn’t started - is because they’re about equivalent, Dunny will be cheaper and he’s a converted wr with better hands so he should get more ints. I mean, FA hasn’t started yet, we could still re-sign Bree if he doesn’t cost too much, not likely but possible.

I can’t say yet that we know that our corners will be weaker this year than last year, even w/o Fuller and if Bree isn’t re-signed. For one, Norman will be healthy gain, and hopefully stays healthy all year. Don’t Norman broke ribs last year, missed several games and played the final 3 months through the injury.  Also, we can’t be sure how well Moreau and Holsey will develop. It’s totally possible that Moreau makes a big jump this offseason and becomes a starter and even better than Bree was the last few years just like Fuller did last offseason. Then, it’s possible that Holsey develops into a decent slot corner or better. 

Lastly, we haven’t had free agency or the draft yet. We could sign or draft another corner who ends up being a good player for us. The loss of Fuller stings, but we currently have three young corners on our roster who are still developing. They could develop into good or even great players like a Fuller was last year and we could still improve at corner through FA or the draft.

The trading away of Fuller for Alex Smith also says that the Redskins expect Dunny, Moreau and Holsey to develop into good players for them. So, the trading away of Fuller is also an endorsement of those 3 young players.

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

I don’t think Fuller will suck in KC, he’s a good player and will continue to get even better throughout the rest of his career. Truthfully, he and Bree are different types of corners anyways. Bree is taller, stronger, longer and better at pressing a WR at the line of scrimmage. Fuller is smaller and quicker with good ball skills.

Breeland was good every year. In 2016 he injured both of his ankles badly and played through the injuries except he missed one game, that’s the only reason he wasn’t quite as good two years ago. Breeland has been a good corner for us every year, 2016 wasn’t as bad for him as some make it out to be and he played 3/4 of the year through ankle injuries.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Dashing202 said:

Where do you rank smith .

Not that it really matters because rankings are just biased opinions that really don’t mean anything in reality but I’d rank Smith right around Cousins, and possibly one spot above Cousins based off of each of their play last year. Their entire stats are about the same except two glaring ones - interceptions and fumbles - Cousins had 6 more fumbles and 8 more interceptions than Smith last year which is huge when winning the turnover battle usually means you win games. So, I’d put Smith right above Kirk just about last year.

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Brees

4. Wentz

5Roethlisberger

6. Rivers

7. Ryan

8. Stafford

9. Wilson

10. Smith

11. Cousins

12. Carr

13. Goff

14. Keenum 

15. Dalton

16. Winston

17. Eli

18. Dak

19. Flacco

20. Bradford

Garapollo should be somewhere in the mid teens too but I have to see more of him. If the 49ers had Garapolllo when we played them, we probably would have lost the game. Then, guys like Tyrod, Bortles, Marriota and McCown.

Archived