2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

One thing Adam Gase was able to improve was our WR separation. In 2018, Darnold had to thread every single throw. Even with Crowder and a bunch of jags, our WR were more open in 2019.

We still need another starting WR and my preference is to go WR at 11. Imagining giving Gase Darnold and WRs? Oh man. We should bring Peters in as a 1 year stop gap to let our day 2 OT and Edoga time develop.

I don't necessarily agree on the Peter's signing but I agree OT should be address on say two if our top OT isnt there at #11. 

Theres also something to be said for moving back a few spots, grabbing ruggs and an extra 3rd to a team that wants to jump over Oakland. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

One thing Adam Gase was able to improve was our WR separation. In 2018, Darnold had to thread every single throw. Even with Crowder and a bunch of jags, our WR were more open in 2019.

We still need another starting WR and my preference is to go WR at 11. Imagining giving Gase Darnold and WRs? Oh man. We should bring Peters in as a 1 year stop gap to let our day 2 OT and Edoga time develop.

I agree with this sentiment ... not many QBs have success early when you dont give them weapons and dont give them time as well ... at least Baker Had weapons but then they took away his line and decided to change their targeted concept to go deep.

We can be good in the quick passing game but for that we need receivers who get open early and can make after the catch ... long drawn out drives with a young QB increase chances for a turn over ... a dynamic receiver would also open up things for everyone else.

• Like 1

One thing not being addressed in this WR/OT debate is our inability to run the football and how that might effect our passing game.

We have one of the greatest offensive playmakers of the past decade being wasted away behind an incompetent offensive line. What's even more frustrating? Bell was also neutralized as a receiver because of our dependency on him in pass protection. Take a look at the top 10 rushing offenses last season:

1. Ravens
  2. 49ers
  3. Titans
  4. Seahawks 
  5. Cowboys 
  6. Vikings 
  7. Colts
  8. Bills 
  9. Texans 
  10. Cardinals 

More importantly, only two teams (Brady//Mahomes) made the playoffs last year without an above average rushing attack. Let that sink in.. 

Controlling the down and distance is still the best way to help a young quarterback - It's why Gase was so committed to establishing the run on first/second down, granted it didn't work but the philosophy made sense. In doing so effectively, the entire offense would open up dramatically. What's being ignored is that the quickest way to help Sam could simply be helping Bell first... 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

17 of the 25 WRs who broke 1k last year were taken outside of round 1.

How are ever going to find one?

Well aware of that. But nearly every single one of them had a better QB than what we have throwing to them. Or were team that was just slinging the ball all around (Tampa Bay). I’m a HUGE Darnold fan... but we can’t act like he’s an established QB. You think Michael Thomas would be Michael Thomas if he was here instead of NO? I think there’s no way. My point being that Darnold isn’t good enough “yet” to make those mid round talents look great. What he could have though is a great WR help him get to great. And yes I get he needs to be protected too

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Good question - 14/25 were taken in the first + There's La'el Collins who should've been.

Fant and Edoga ranked 57th and 79th respectively O.o 

It was a good question and good find.  Seems like data supports going OT too over WR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Well aware of that. But nearly every single one of them had a better QB than what we have throwing to them. Or were team that was just slinging the ball all around (Tampa Bay). I’m a HUGE Darnold fan... but we can’t act like he’s an established QB. You think Michael Thomas would be Michael Thomas if he was here instead of NO? I think there’s no way. My point being that Darnold isn’t good enough “yet” to make those mid round talents look great. What he could have though is a great WR help him get to great. And yes I get he needs to be protected too

You continue to make any excuse you can drum up.  Well Sam isn't Brady and these guys are only good because of their QB.

Sam in a clean pocket is really good not Brady good but too 10 good possibly.  There are facts to support that.  Those facts are taken from a season when he had much less to work with at WR then he will this year so who are you to say Sam isn't capable of elevating his WRs.  I mean with just a mediocre OL and staying healthy last year he probably has Robby in the 1k club and what a 7th rounder.

OL, scheme, and QB make most WRs who they are, not the other way around.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You continue to make any excuse you can drum up.  Well Sam isn't Brady and these guys are only good because of their QB.

Sam in a clean pocket is really good not Brady good but too 10 good possibly.  There are facts to support that.  Those facts are taken from a season when he had much less to work with at WR then he will this year so who are you to say Sam isn't capable of elevating his WRs.  I mean with just a mediocre OL and staying healthy last year he probably has Robby in the 1k club and what a 7th rounder.

OL, scheme, and QB make most WRs who they are, not the other way around.

Yet even with a clean pocket we still struggled on offense (we had the 2nd worst offense in the NFL, only barely above Washington). Think of how many of those plays could have been BIG plays if there was a great WR receiving the ball. Not a Vyncent Smith, Berrios, a washed up DT, etc. Gase's scheme relies on getting the ball in a playmakers hands and them doing the work for you. Most of the passes are quick passes. Meaning that it relies more on the playmaker than it does the OL. A quick screen eliminates most the OL. A quick slant eliminates most the OL. Obviously that's not the whole game plan... but that's largely how Gase likes running things in the receiving game. Also a wide spread OL shakes things up quite a bit from what you saw from us on the OL last year. We can't 100% say that Fant will play good in this system, but on paper he should be better. Same goes for Edoga. And I'm well aware they aren't great players. But the interior of our OL is quite a bit better. McGovern is a good C, GVR is a good G and a healthy Lewis or Winters should be better as well. The OL IS BETTER than it was. It doesn't need 5 new starters in 1 offseason to be addressed. It can continue to get addressed via Round 2 and/or 3. And if its still a weakness than we use a 1st next year on a OT (another good class next year). But by then Edoga has another year to show something. Fant as well and that 2nd or 3rd rounder too.

• Like 1

I can't stand this "20 of 25 top WRs or OTs were taken in the first round" conversation, lmao

Takes into account zero new information, zero influences of the coaching staff or general management, etc

For example, Joe Douglas himself has had more success finding later round offensive line talent than wide receiver talent

Also FWIW, the Eagles won the Super Bowl the year that they had the #1 rated OL

• Like 1