2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Niang would probably be a 1st rounder if he didn’t get injured last season. So I don’t agree. Daniel Jeremiah has also said he wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Jets chose a WR.

Niang would never have been a first round pick. That's what the media may tell you, but no one in the NFL would suggest that. Ever. Totally overrated and sensationalized by PFF coming off of a 2018 where he had a high grade, but when you actually took a deep look at the player it became clear he was a mess. His ceiling is Brandon Shell, which indicates that he may be able to find a way to be a serviceable tackle, but he needs to totally rework his approach, technique, and fundamentals top to bottom. His injuries aren't going away either; he's not built to carry the weight that he'll need to as an NFL offensive lineman. Would be really disappointed if the Jets wasted a draft pick on him.  

There's certainly a possibility that the Jets go receiver. If their top tackles are off the board and they can't trade down then yes, the Jets would absolutely turn in the card and be happy with Ruggs and possibly Lamb. But by no means is that their preference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Just heard the Joe Douglas interview with Scott and Hahn. A few takeaways.

Douglas is looking for players who play like Jets (bringing back the Rex motto). Basically, all weather guys who love football.

He loves Jamal.

When drafting, he factors in the depth at a position. Reading into that a bit.... he may not go WR in the first (could be smoke though)

Positions he thinks are deep: RB, WR, OT, DT, CB

Watching the tape is the most important aspect of a scouting but he does believe each position needs a baseline of athleticism

The organization has a sense of urgency to surround Darnold with players

Exact quote in response to whether a WR is as important as an OT in the first round: 

"I think a lot of that depends on how you view the top rated tackle versus the top rated wide receiver... I don't want to sit here and say one position is weighted over another, but there is definitely things you think about, such as how many players do you have rated as a starter at one position versus how many guys you have rated as a starter at different positions and those things all come into play when you're deciding at the time when you select one position versus a different position... you have to take everything in and say, 'can I take this position later without much of a drop off'... you're thinking about all those different scenarios and that's what we've been doing the last few days in our strategy meetings."  

On 3/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, Bobby816 said:

Never said he wasn’t. Just Becton and Wirfs are more athletic.

You still high on Jackson?!?!

I see he’s slipping in mocks. Given they’re just mocks. But some are even having him available in Round 2 now. Personally I’d rather Jones in that tier. I still see one of the 4 OTs there at 11. Thomas not having elite athleticism might not be high for us (I think he’s very good FYI, I think he’s one of the safer picks in the whole draft).

I've downgraded Becton.... theres now a top 3. Becton is too much of a risk. Imo. 

I'd personally take him off my draft board unless it's a 2nd or we trade down. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Exact quote in response to whether a WR is as important as an OT in the first round: 

"I think a lot of that depends on how you view the top rated tackle versus the top rated wide receiver... I don't want to sit here and say one position is weighted over another, but there is definitely things you think about, such as how many players do you have rated as a starter at one position versus how many guys you have rated as a starter at different positions and those things all come into play when you're deciding at the time when you select one position versus a different position... you have to take everything in and say, 'can I take this position later without much of a drop off'... you're thinking about all those different scenarios and that's what we've been doing the last few days in our strategy meetings."  

Market inefficiencies baby. Party like it’s 2002. 

4 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I've downgraded Becton.... theres now a top 3. Becton is too much of a risk. Imo. 

Why do you feel this way? Like what is the reason you think risk? 

As for the perceived risk: the weight is untraditional, but it's not like he's a fat guy. He's 17% body fat... for a guy that size it's unheard of. There just are not many men that walk this earth that possess his size, let alone his athleticism. If there's one complaint I have with him as a prospect it's his limited pass sets, but despite only being in around 75 of them, they were extremely clean. I think the advantage that other prospects have over him is that they come from more traditional blocking schemes, but it's not like Becton is in a truly foreign one... still, it could be the reason why we see him fall a bit on draft day, because the transition for him will be harder than the others. Some people saw inconsistency, but let's point out how he was inconsistent. What was the root of some of his not-so-great tape? It wasn't a guy that became lazy (which is usually the biggest indicator of someone who will fail, especially when overweight), it was because he too often overexerted himself; he needs to become more patient. Channel that "I want to pancake you" energy into a few plays a game so that he can become more coordinated on a down-to-down basis. I'm not worried about Becton's play at all... he has the makings to be a highlight reel player at the tackle position.  

Off the field: if he's committed to football and to maintaining his weight, he's going to be really good. It's that simple. Unfortunately for us we have no way of knowing his commitment level, but everyone I've spoken to seems to believe that he'll skyrocket in an NFL program. The Jets are more than happy with him eating as long as it is the right stuff and unlike many teams they've developed a next gen meal program with a 5-star cooking staff in order to help make sure their players stay on track, and they will take another step in that direction this year with a whole new focus on sports science aimed at trying to keep their players fit while reducing injury through meal prep. 

Becton is smart, has the right mentality, and showed dedication this past year. The flagged drug test is a bad look, but as Douglas said it's not a big deal when background checks out. The only real thing we have to be worried about: is Becton duping us. Intel says no, but there's no way to get inside someone's head and be 100% sure. You're taking that risk with nearly all players, and "scared money doesn't make money". 

Btw, I don't know why it was relevant to this discussion, but that quote you referenced which says "You still high on Jackson?!?!" is going to age real well on Thursday.

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Pin this: Lucas Niang is not a good prospect. He's an overrated one who may fall to the 5th-6th round. 

Peardt is a solid, developmental tackle who has a similar profile to Edoga for better or for worse. But to suggest the Jets would be better off going WR in the 1st and reach on him in the 2nd rather taking one of the top tackle prospects in round 1 and any of the wide receivers in round 2 is kind of outrageous. Heck, Hamler is considered a 1st round prospect among some in the NFL, and had he not been limited by the diminished offseason would have been more hyped... he's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind whose range is unanimously somewhere between 45-75 both in league circles and in the media, whereas Peardt is looked at as a player who should go between 60-120!

More realistic, assuming WR at 11: whatever fallen talent is there at 48 (WR/CB/DE), followed by OT at 68... the value for an OT at 48 is going to be pitiful, and reaching for one doesn't make much sense. 

By the way, the Jets are comfortable waiting until the 3rd round before drafting a receiver. That's what I have heard and Daniel Jeremiah kind of eluded to it in his pre-draft conference call. Douglas will let the board fall to them, and there's a very distinct possibility they draft a CB (possibly a specific DE) in round 2 based on what I've heard. He is in the camp of executives that believes day 1 WR starters will be drafted well into the 5th round. No reason to take one in round 2 if the value will remain rich in round 3. 

Said with so much conviction. Are you part of the front office. Reveal your source now!!! 

Only joking. It does interest me how assumptions can be made though unless people really do have people ‘in the know’. This is the biggest poker game of the year so why would any GM a few days out give away their hand? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

Said with so much conviction. Are you part of the front office. Reveal your source now!!! 

Only joking. It does interest me how assumptions can be made though unless people really do have people ‘in the know’. This is the biggest poker game of the year so why would any GM a few days out give away their hand? 

Looks and sounds like jetskiid made a new account if you aks me.

Few things I gathered from listening to JDs press conference...

He wants Jamal here. His stance pre Schefty making his report about a week ago was he will sit down and talk to Adams post the draft. And that stance hasn’t changed. Wouldn’t discuss money so it’s hard to tell if money will be an issue yet.

We will draft and/or sign an edge. Not sure when... but he said it’s a premium position and you can never have enough guys. Not sure when we draft a guy or who a FA signing post draft might be. But I expect an edge to be added in the next week or so.

Wouldn't reveal his cards at all whether it’s OT or WR he wants or values more. When asked about both, he talked highly of both positions of what we have already. Valued depth and brought up Connor McDermott on the OL and Josh Doctson at WR. So didn’t favor a positional group even there.

Was asked about Mekhi Bectons flagged test. And didn’t seem overly concerned bc of the new CBA rules. But did state that this is when a team would really have to dig in to why he had a flagged test and talk to the player and such to be comfortable drafting a guy like that. Not sure if he is or is even able to do that given the circumstances. I got the feeling he won’t be making his 1st ever pick and the 11th pick at that Becton. I could be wrong though.

This is what he is supposed to do as a GM to keep other teams guessing. Is it frustrating as a fan? Yes. But it’s 100% the right way to do things. You don’t want a team trading ahead of you bc you revealed you wanted an OT (for example).

He didn’t talk about much else bc all the questions were all about Jamal, OT and WR that were related to what we care about.

8 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

Not only that for me but I’ve soured on Wirfs. There’s talk that his footwork might be too slow to play tackle early on in his career and it’s questions about him ever playing tackle. He might be exclusive to the guard positions.

For me it’s Willis, Thomas & a gap.

13 minutes ago, DowNY said:

Not only that for me but I’ve soured on Wirfs. There’s talk that his footwork might be too slow to play tackle early on in his career and it’s questions about him ever playing tackle. He might be exclusive to the guard positions.

For me it’s Willis, Thomas & a gap.

I wasn’t high on Becton to begin with bc if some risk I saw in him. But I haven’t soured in any of the other 3. I’d be happy with any of those 3 at 11

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

I agree with him actually.  I wouldn't love it but if a pass rusher drops to is at 48 it wouldn't shock me to see us wait until round 3.  

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I agree with him actually.  I wouldn't love it but if a pass rusher drops to is at 48 it wouldn't shock me to see us wait until round 3.  

I could see that happening as well. But I would not be a fan of it. Imagine being able to draft CeeDee Lamb and ending up with Van Jefferson.

8 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

Whoa whoa whoa risk? 

I personally feel you’re being very irrational. Can you go deeper into why you feel that way?