Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

38 minutes ago, N4L said:

you are surprised by this? 

LA basin has been bringing down CA numbers the whole time. 

Bay area should be out of lockdown in another 2 months, and we have significantly less cases 

I continue to be surprised and disappointed by California tripping over themselves to use the bluntest, most damaging public health responses in the country when their per capita cases remain far lower than most of the rest of the country and despite huge systematic advantages that should allow them to re-open more quickly than the rest of the country. 

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I continue to be surprised and disappointed by California tripping over themselves to use the bluntest, most damaging public health responses in the country when their per capita cases remain far lower than most of the rest of the country and despite huge systematic advantages that should allow them to re-open more quickly than the rest of the country. 

Perhaps our per capita cases remain far lower because of the blunt public health response. 

regardless, the headline and reporting is misleading. They are already taking steps to loosen restrictions of the safer at home orders, and from the sounds of it, hope to continue to do so to a greater degree over the next three months. This seems reasonable. This isn’t an order for us to be on lockdown for another three months, and we aren’t even on a lockdown now.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, here is a link to an article discussing a few different proposals for MD schools returning next year.  There is also a link to the 54 page report.  

Amongst options considered- 1 in person instructional day and 4 distance learning days, entire grades done at home vs in school, one week on/one week off and staggering times for students in school.  

https://wjla.com/news/local/when-will-maryland-schools-students-return?fbclid=IwAR1AXPKurtpzn_nGynbeXo0Ib2kudyTiUx6y1PGx-EZZ8TAQNrAtCXieZj0

32 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I moved mine from June to November, hoping that’s far enough.

We just got the ok (Finger Lakes region of New York) to begin phase one of reopening on Friday.

I'm best man in a wedding for November, they still haven't sent the invitations out and aren't in any rush to make it happen.  Thinking they might actually prefer to continue waiting.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The government needs to do a better job of messaging this then and the media has to do a better job of avoiding sensationalist headlines

Because the headlines everywhere now is LA lockdown extended 3 months

Which will just continue to make this whole situation more polarized, partisan, and lead to much worse outcomes 

Nobody thought we were going to zero on May 15.  But we need to start moving in that direction now and terms like 'shelter in place' or 'stay at home' cant be part of the next phase of this response or there's no point do anyhting

The proposed Maryland plan a few weeks ago had phase two starting on labor day, phase three at the first of the year.  And really, Phase 1 was nothing much more than we just did by lifting restrictions on boating, golf and outdoor activities.  

33 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The government needs to do a better job of messaging this then and the media has to do a better job of avoiding sensationalist headlines

Because the headlines everywhere now is LA lockdown extended 3 months

Which will just continue to make this whole situation more polarized, partisan, and lead to much worse outcomes 

Nobody thought we were going to zero on May 15.  But we need to start moving in that direction now and terms like 'shelter in place' or 'stay at home' cant be part of the next phase of this response or there's no point do anyhting

So just an FYI but CA's Phase 2 involves Stay At Home just with more businesses opened up as well as less restrictions for certain things. Densely populated places like LA County are going to be stuck in Phase 2 a little longer than the other parts of the state.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, theJ said:

Update: Men's Wearhouse is apparently not following state recommendations, and instead following national standards.  Ohio opened up retail today, but they have declined to open.

No suit for me.  I demand a refund!

Men's Wearhouse as a company may not be ready for it.  Given how much time they've had in being closed, I would be surprised if that's the case.  Given that some places are doing haircuts for essential workers, I can't imagine it would be much more for them to tailor a jacket or suit for someone and limit in-store people. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mission27 said:

It's okay if you don't quite get it. It just means the true brains all along was actually TLO 😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The proposed Maryland plan a few weeks ago had phase two starting on labor day, phase three at the first of the year.  And really, Phase 1 was nothing much more than we just did by lifting restrictions on boating, golf and outdoor activities.  

For real?  That insane

17 minutes ago, TLO said:

Perhaps our per capita cases remain far lower because of the blunt public health response. 

regardless, the headline and reporting is misleading. They are already taking steps to loosen restrictions of the safer at home orders, and from the sounds of it, hope to continue to do so to a greater degree over the next three months. This seems reasonable. This isn’t an order for us to be on lockdown for another three months, and we aren’t even on a lockdown now.

Ah yes TLO I'm sure the difference between LA and New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, DC, etc. is your governor shutting things down a whole 2 days earlier than everyone else... not the fact that LA is warm, spread out, and has no subways and those other cities are cool, cramped, and have subways 

And I'm sure Florida, Texas, and the rest of the warm, spread out areas of the country that didn't institute as harsh measures and/or re-opened sooner just got lucky? 

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

So just an FYI but CA's Phase 2 involves Stay At Home just with more businesses opened up as well as less restrictions for certain things. Densely populated places like LA County are going to be stuck in Phase 2 a little longer than the other parts of the state.

A lot of the plans that you see from states tend to read similarly like that. Phase 1 is opening up stuff where common sense should prevent transmission (parks and whatnot), Phase 2 is mostly the same as Phase 1 except a a few more businesses open (e.g. restaurants open for dine in at like 25% seating capacity), and Phase 3 is schools, but even in Phase 3 there is heavy monitoring and it slides right back to Phase 2 if/when things get worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

For real?  That insane

Yes, and they haven't done much to distance themselves from it besides this statement.  Not tying it to any timeline is just as bad.  

* According to a working document Maryland Strong Roadmap to Recovery, Stage 1 could tentatively start on May 15, 2020 and end on September 2, 2020. Stage 2 could tentatively start on September 3, 2020 and end on December 31, 2020. Stage 3 could tentatively start on January 1, 2021. All of the dates are subject to change based on the progress made.

NOTE:  Per Mike Ricci, spokesperson for Governor Hogan, the administration has not tied the roadmap to any timeline. The chart was part of a presentation made by a professor to the team.

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2020/05/governor-hogans-update-on-covid-19-response-go-boating-and-golfing/?fbclid=IwAR3DNFxHkwJS5XxGLAnSOZpodROGl1E_lkLlM2u5c5S20nmrfOudZRiGgW0

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm best man in a wedding for November, they still haven't sent the invitations out and aren't in any rush to make it happen.  Thinking they might actually prefer to continue waiting.  

Yeah we haven’t sent out invites, but we are hopeful.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Decent men's fashion? Agreed.

LOL.  

I could understand a restaurant not being ready to open their doors for in-person dining if things switched, especially if they radically made changes to carryout and curbside and were seeing success.  

But a place like Men's Wearhouse has had two months to think about what things look like when they reopen, and it's not like they have a lot to worry about.  Also, really, really bad job at business by not calling clients like @theJ who had orders in and trying to get them expedited or picked up. 

• Like 2