Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If you have received an offer to work, you are physically able to work and you aren’t in the risk category for COVID, you should not be able to get unemployment.  I don’t care what that makes people think of me.  

If you think I’m wrong for saying that, just think of how much unemployment benefits and other benefits could help those who actually, truly legitimately need it if there weren’t people milking the system.

And yeah, I think it’s an issue that’s more prevalent than a lot of people are willing to admit.  

I think the problem and answer is more complicated than what you just stated. People that were paid fair wages, for example, shouldn’t just accept a low paying job at a fast food chain just to get off of unemployment. Mortgages and rent need to be paid. It’s a complicated process as that NPR article showed.

Edited by Xenos

Extending unemployment is just a duct tape and bubble gum fix. It can work if things are actually remedied in a relatively brief time frame, but continuing to try use it to patch more and more holes is just going to lead to a lot of unintended consequences if it goes on for too long.  The sooner we can reopen the better, places like Florida, Texas, Arizona, are good examples of places that need strict guidelines for now, however other locations should proceed with caution so that the amount of duct tape needed is diminished.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

well this is just dumb.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He specifically defends billionaires in the baseball forum, so I’d consider the source tbh.

It'd probably be best if we nipped this conversation in the bud, frankly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I think the problem and answer is more complicated than what you just stated. People that were paid fair wages, for example, shouldn’t just accept a low paying job at a fast food chain just to get off of unemployment. Mortgages and rent need to be paid. It’s a complicated process as that NPR article showed.

It’s not complicated.  I’ve taken in-between jobs before that were below me until I’ve found jobs.  In no world is it right that people can get paid 600 dollars a week when they have offers for jobs and get paid more than people who risk getting COVID every day they go to work and make less.

Every nickel some freeloader takes is a nickel that doesn’t go to people who need it.  And there are freeloaders.  If you think otherwise, I can literally name 6 right now that I personally know and have personally offered a job.

I can also tell you that they’re not doing it because they’re afraid of Covid or doing it because they can’t do the job they’ve been offered or it’s below them.  It’s the same job.  

Again, I’m not bemoaning people who need it.  I know damn well there are people who genuinely need it.  I’m bemoaning the people taking advantage of it.  I realize there’s not much that can be done about them, but that doesn’t stop me from being upset about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s not complicated.  I’ve taken in-between jobs before that were below me until I’ve found jobs.  In no world is it right that people can get paid 600 dollars a week when they have offers for jobs and get paid more than people who risk getting COVID every day they go to work and make less.

Every nickel some freeloader takes is a nickel that doesn’t go to people who need it.  And there are freeloaders.  If you think otherwise, I can literally name 6 right now that I personally know and have personally offered a job.

I can also tell you that they’re not doing it because they’re afraid of Covid or doing it because they can’t do the job they’ve been offered or it’s below them.  It’s the same job.  

Again, I’m not bemoaning people who need it.  I know damn well there are people who genuinely need it.  I’m bemoaning the people taking advantage of it.  I realize there’s not much that can be done about them, but that doesn’t stop me from being upset about it.

I'm currently furloughed with hopefully a return date in September. With the extra $600 a week, I almost make as much as my original salary. It helps to pay the rent, childcare, and healthcare. It gives me peace of mind while I update my resume and apply to jobs that actually pay a living wage so that I can take care of my family. So yes, it is right for people like myself to get paid an extra $600 a week.

I'm sure there are freeloaders and people who do cheat the system. But what's the percentage of that happening versus people who legitimately need it? 50%, 70%, 90%? Otherwise, we're just marginalizing people that the social safety net was created to help.

I will say this again though. Congress had 4 months to figure out a better solution.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2