Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-covid-19-adviser-suggests-001626425.html

I'll toe the line here, but at least one advisor is recommending a 4-6 week "total shutdown" with major government help on lost wages, etc. coming by January/February if not implemented by then.

Governor DeWine hinted at a major shutdown coming in the next week or 10 days due to the massive spike in cases here in Ohio.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I'll toe the line here, but at least one advisor is recommending a 4-6 week "total shutdown" with major government help on lost wages, etc. coming by January/February if not implemented by then.

Governor DeWine hinted at a major shutdown coming in the next week or 10 days due to the massive spike in cases here in Ohio.

This is all dependent on getting another and possibly bigger stimulus through that will allow all of the things he mentioned to happen. Additionally, I just don’t think the US and its citizens can deal with a national lockdown. Maybe states will do their own again. But there’s too many resistance right now for a true lockdown. And as someone who respects Osterholm, I know why he suggesting this. But they’ll use everything else first ie. federal mask mandates and testing/tracing first before resorting to the idea of a national lockdown.

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

This is all dependent on getting another and possibly bigger stimulus through that will allow all of the things he mentioned to happen. Additionally, I just don’t think the US and its citizens can deal with a national lockdown. Maybe states will do their own again. But there’s too many resistance right now for a true lockdown. And as someone who respects Osterholm, I know why he suggesting this. But they’ll use everything else first ie. federal mask mandates and testing/tracing first before resorting to the idea of a national lockdown.

I mean, here in OH we've had a mask mandate and a 10 or less mandate for months, but the issue is, as always, enforcement. I don't think DeWine's "Mask Task Force" will be taken seriously/enforceable, but the press conference yesterday was absolutely a warning shot across the bow. He's going to do some MAJOR things here in the next week or so I believe. He hinted at schools/virtual yesterday, gatherings "not in your household" (Translation: Extended family right before Thanksgiving/Christmas), and reevaluating restaurants, bars, etc.

He banned dancing/congregating without being seated (insert Footloose joke/gif here), and masks must be worn unless actively eating/drinking in restaurants.

I'm not sure what Biden is going to implement federally that's really going to change things for a majority of the states in the nation (albeit some outliers are still around). A 2nd stimulus will eventually happen, but I'm not sure what the scale and finer points will include.

Not free:

At dinner parties and game nights, casual American life is fueling the coronavirus surge

A record-breaking surge in U.S. coronavirus cases is being driven to a significant degree by casual occasions that may feel deceptively safe, officials and scientists warn — dinner parties, game nights, sleepovers and carpools. Many earlier coronavirus clusters were linked to nursing homes and crowded nightclubs. But public health officials nationwide say case investigations are increasingly leading them to small, private social gatherings. This behind-doors transmission trend reflects pandemic fatigue and widening social bubbles, experts say — and is particularly insidious because it is so difficult to police and likely to increase as temperatures drop and holidays approach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/12/covid-social-gatherings/

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

My guess is this is a bluff to try and reduce some of the blatant complacency that has creeped in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My guess is this is a bluff to try and reduce some of the blatant complacency that has creeped in.

Yeah, it absolutely could be, and I'd be curious to see what he would do without the approval of Congress via executive order, but I won't go there for obvious reasons.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, here in OH we've had a mask mandate and a 10 or less mandate for months, but the issue is, as always, enforcement. I don't think DeWine's "Mask Task Force" will be taken seriously/enforceable, but the press conference yesterday was absolutely a warning shot across the bow. He's going to do some MAJOR things here in the next week or so I believe. He hinted at schools/virtual yesterday, gatherings "not in your household" (Translation: Extended family right before Thanksgiving/Christmas), and reevaluating restaurants, bars, etc.

He banned dancing/congregating without being seated (insert Footloose joke/gif here), and masks must be worn unless actively eating/drinking in restaurants.

I'm not sure what Biden is going to implement federally that's really going to change things for a majority of the states in the nation (albeit some outliers are still around). A 2nd stimulus will eventually happen, but I'm not sure what the scale and finer points will include.

More or less, I think we see a lot of the above.

Cuomo has started testing K-12 schools and personnel as well:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-releases-guidelines-testing-protocol-schools-reopen-red-or-orange-micro-cluster

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I am going to preface this by saying I am not advocating for anything here.

Allowing the states to make their own mandates in terms of masks/lockdowns is trifling at best. If one state goes into lockdown and their neighbor doesnt, what is the point exactly? Those who take COVID-19 seriously, well how much will their day to day actually change? They are probably already doing most of what a lockdown would accomplish. Those who don't take it seriously? Why wouldn't they just go a state over and go out drinking or go to a party or an event of some kind? 

IMO, the way this country and populace functions, a Federal level mandate of any kind is the only thing that will have a major impact. 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, SwAg said:

Vaccine is exciting, but I don’t know how we pretend that nearly 1/4 of Americans view vaccination as junk science.  And with the inaccuracy of polling on “political topics” lately, that figure could be terrifyingly higher.

Rams posted a few hundred pages ago about % of people needed to hit herd immunity and if I remember correctly you can get it done without those people.  However, yes, it may be higher now all things considered.  But if push comes to show and people are told "take this and things go normal" most people are going to take it, maybe they just don't admit it for the optics. 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, MWil23 said:

I'll be getting the COVID vaccine, but I'm not going to be in the first wave of people who stand in line to get it. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to make sure it's completely safe and effective. Since my family has already had it, I've got the luxury of having a little time.

The pediatric portion of the vaccine is more or less what I'm intrigued to see. 

*Note*

I'm 100% in favor of vaccinating my children/have them vaccinated, including annual flu shots, so please don't read into my comments above.

This.  However my wife will be in the first batch to receive the vaccine most likely, so if she grows an arm out of her face I should pretty quickly be able to report that here.  

23 hours ago, TVScout said:

THE first volunteers to get the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine have said they felt like they had a "severe hangover" after the injection.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1776166/first-volunteers-pfizer-covid-vaccine-feels-severe-hangover/

I am on record saying I would rather die than have another severe hang over so I guess death it is for me. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yea, that will go over well. 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh, it's not going to go over well at all...but that doesn't mean that it won't happen/be attempted.

I don't think it will, I think, like what rams said, it is more of a threat so people/states start to take their own steps/precautions more seriously.  

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Why does that matter?

Well I am not a constitutional lawyer but I do not believe the US Government can force its own people into a forced quarantine, the States however, I believe that they can.  Maybe since we are in a pandemic there are some acts or rules out there that would give the Federal Government that power? So yea, I think it matters if they cannot actually do it on a federal level, we are back to where we were when this first hit, some States lockdown some won't.  At best I believe the CDC can govern who can and cannot fly but I am not sure how that even works nor does it seem to be the reason for the issues to begin with.