RB Drake re-signs with Cards

bomont

Whew! Gave me quite the scare there because the link says 84 million. It's only a one-year, $8.4 million tender. Could do better, could do worse. Drake and Chase Edmonds should be a very nice, potent duo when healthy, much like last year, but without DJ2K this time around. David Johnson was invaluable in the passing game last year, but perhaps Drake or Edmonds will finally be able to show more development in that area. They both project as scat backs, just neither have been as good in pass pro or running routes as DJ2K to this point. I love Chase Edmonds ability, though, dating back to pre-draft when I thought the Pats would draft him (crazy quick, good at everything with very few holes in his game, but not elite at anything, either). Drake is stronger and more explosive than the other two relevant Cards RBs from last year, but he's been banged up every year and doesn't play as nasty as he should. He's a rich-man's Kalen Ballage, IMHO in that he's the exact same, but Ballage is softer. Anyways, decent re-sign for the Cardinals, stops us from needing to spend an early pick on an RB this year. I'd also target someone like Jhurrel Pressley next week as a back-up on a very affordable deal if I were the Cards.

With his workload, limited as it was, Drake was on pace for 1,286 rushing yards at a rate of 5.2 yards per carry, 16 rushing TDs, 56 receptions, and 342 receiving yards had he played a full 16-game slate. He scored 8 TDs in 8 games with the Cards, and contributed over 100 yards from scrimmage per game. Really nice and efficient for 8 million dollars. It SHOULD be noted, though, that Drake was 2 yards shy of beating his production from any single season with the Dolphins. In eight games. He played a full 16 games in each of his first three seasons with the Dolphins. With the eye-test, though, he was definitely the most consistently explosive weapon in that Cardinals offense last year.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Whew! Gave me quite the scare there because the link says 84 million.

xD  

I think it's a smart deal to show what he can do in a full season. If it doesn't work out nothing much lost, if he does, work on a multi-year deal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Monster production for a team and still they only give you a 1-yr deal? That's quite mean, Arizona. What does a fella have to do to earn some job security around here?

Just means he signed his tender. They can still negotiate a long term deal

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

It SHOULD be noted, though, that Drake was 2 yards shy of beating his production from any single season with the Dolphins. In eight games. He played a full 16 games in each of his first three seasons with the Dolphins

He also averaged 4.8 YPC for his career. So he has always been super efficient when given the ball.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FinSting said:

Monster production for a team and still they only give you a 1-yr deal? That's quite mean, Arizona. What does a fella have to do to earn some job security around here?

I’d recommend a fella not play RB if the payday and long deal is what he’s after.