Panthers releasing QB Cam Newton

.Buzz

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's like being the biggest turd in the Toliet? In the end it's still a floater. 

Just because Teddy might actually be a better QB at the moment (should hope so) then a Broken Cam, doesn't mean it's an upgrade. Just means the standard in which Teddy is being Judged against , happens to also be Crap!

Nah, as someone who watch all of Bridgewater's games last season, he looks like he could turn out to be a solid starting QB for the Panthers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

If were being fair though Bridgewater was in a Saints Sean Payton led offense.  One of the greatest offensive minds and offenses in the game today. You could put most Qb's in that offense and they would do quite well imo.  I myself think if Cam is atleast somewhat healthy he is a better QB than Bridge is and if Cam was in the Saints offense it would be deadly as well.

If we are being fair though Bridgewater previously was in an archaic Vikings offense that revolved around AP with little to no help at the WR spots. Not really a good gauge on what his true potential was in that offense. Bridgewater still had to make the throws at the end of the day in the Saints offense, and showed he was more than capable of doing so. As for Cam in the Saints offense, no thanks, and I certainly don't think he would be better than Bridgewater in it. Our offense is designed for accurate QB's, Cam is probably one of the least accurate starting QB's in the NFL, and is nowhere near the athlete he once was.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Just feels like a match for the Jaguars on a cheaper 1-year deal to prove the time off has rejuvenated him.  If he's still got some of what he had when he was healthy, he'd be a good fit.  If not...as long as it's a reasonable 1-year gamble deal, they can just go back to Minshew and walk away from the experiment.

I agree, but he didn’t want to play his one remaining year with the Panthers. He apparently wanted an extension and we weren’t willing to do that. Curious to see how long it takes him to sign somewhere. 

3 hours ago, DaveDX said:

I agree, but he didn’t want to play his one remaining year with the Panthers. He apparently wanted an extension and we weren’t willing to do that. Curious to see how long it takes him to sign somewhere. 

Have to think he's running out of potential landing spots too quickly to really leverage into a multi-year deal at this point.  But who knows?  Teams do weird stuff sometimes.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Have to think he's running out of potential landing spots too quickly to really leverage into a multi-year deal at this point.  But who knows?  Teams do weird stuff sometimes.

I wish him the best but he’ll either have to compromise or wait til someone goes down in camp. 

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Just feels like a match for the Jaguars on a cheaper 1-year deal to prove the time off has rejuvenated him.  If he's still got some of what he had when he was healthy, he'd be a good fit.  If not...as long as it's a reasonable 1-year gamble deal, they can just go back to Minshew and walk away from the experiment.

I feel like Jameis is a better fit in Jax. Newton's skill-set doesn't really fit Gruden's scheme well.

On 26/03/2020 at 8:56 PM, jrry32 said:

I feel like Jameis is a better fit in Jax. Newton's skill-set doesn't really fit Gruden's scheme well.

But Jameis' does?  He of many turnovers, sloppy mechanics and timing, long ball mcgee launching things into the stands, and no real mobility to speak of?  Cam certainly isn't the "Jay Gruden Archetype QB" by any means...but i feel like there are at least more aligned attributes to work with there.

Moreover...Even if i could see any sort of fit in a Gruden offense with Winston, i don't really see any point to signing Jameis Winston in Jacksonville.  He stinks, and he's basically always stunk.  If Minshew isn't the guy...either bring in someone like Cam who could be good if he's rehabilitated his foot well enough and is healthy, or takes us right back to Minshew.  Or make it a young guy out of the draft to start grooming.  The Jaguars aren't winning anything with Jameis Winston under center in the short term...and he's not a project anymore.  That's not the future.  We don't need to do Trent Edwards all over again, but with a less likeable off-field personality and controversy.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But Jameis' does?  He of many turnovers, sloppy mechanics and timing, long ball mcgee launching things into the stands, and no real mobility to speak of?  Cam certainly isn't the "Jay Gruden Archetype QB" by any means...but i feel like there are at least more aligned attributes to work with there.

Moreover...Even if i could see any sort of fit in a Gruden offense with Winston, i don't really see any point to signing Jameis Winston in Jacksonville.  He stinks, and he's basically always stunk.  If Minshew isn't the guy...either bring in someone like Cam who could be good if he's rehabilitated his foot well enough and is healthy, or takes us right back to Minshew.  Or make it a young guy out of the draft to start grooming.  The Jaguars aren't winning anything with Jameis Winston under center in the short term...and he's not a project anymore.  That's not the future.  We don't need to do Trent Edwards all over again, but with a less likeable off-field personality and controversy.

Jay Gruden worked well with Dalton and Cousins, who were both somewhat turnover prone.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Jay Gruden worked well with Dalton and Cousins, who were both somewhat turnover prone.

Different kinds of turnovers.  But if "Jay Gruden likes turnover prone QBs" is his "type", then we really ought to be working out a deal to get Bortles back here.

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Different kinds of turnovers.  But if "Jay Gruden likes turnover prone QBs" is his "type", then we really ought to be working out a deal to get Bortles back here.

You've talked about Trent Edwards and Blake Bortles, but they're both false equivalences.