FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

Eagles war room playing hard ball right now... but they've settled on a democratic voting process

I'm hearing 'boos' constitute the traditional 'nay'... while throwing batteries is a sign of agreement

No sign of the type of battery used... my money is on D's 

• Like 7

Trade Alert:

Dolphins receive pick 29, pick 61

Titans receive pick 39, pick 56, and pick 153.

Great value move for Miami

Dolphins have 4 1st round picks as it stands... the last time a team had this much draft capital Kevin Costner was calling the shots

• Like 5

Sources inside informing us that the deal between Philly for 15 fell through because SanFran didnt want to let the Eagles get Ruggs

Cowgirls tried to jump and take ther NFC East nemesis' trade but ultimately didnt want to give up what the 9ners were demanding....fortunately for them the still got their man in Henderson

• Like 1

YGM 2 KC

Philadelphia Eagles: 21st Overall: Kristian Fulton: B+

What an entrance. A years worth of memes for an announcement. The internet celebrates. Philadelphia rejoices and boos can be heard from the liberty bell to the … (Pause for Philly monument research)… Don Quixote Statue..? 
Bearded women leave their homes to flip cars. Their tears mix with layers of spray tan to flood the cobbled(?) streets of city of Brotherly Love. 
Babies are kissed… from a respectable 6 foot distance.

Minnesota Vikings: 22nd Overall: Jeff Gladney: B-

Fetishes are a curious thing. Some people like whips and chains. Some like to party down in animal costumes. Some enjoy delights of an even more depraved and filthy variety
(in Cleveland they’re just called ‘steamers’)
The Minnesota Vikings like first round CBs…and while I don’t pretend to understand all of these acts, I’m not here to kink shame.

Jokes(?) aside, it seems like this is probably around the ceiling for Gladney. We’re getting to the point in the draft where everyones board looks very different and unfortunately for Minny and their needs this wasn’t an ideal spot to sit in. I can’t fault the Vikings for wanting to address a premium position, but you’d be hard pressed to convince me this was the top prospect available.

New England Patriots: 23rd Overall: Patrick Queen: B

Second LB off the board and the first since Simmons. This makes sense for New England. Van Noy and Collins both chased money this offseason so the Pats try to make sure they have some insurance. I won't pretend I like taking a LB at the end of the first tho. They’re entering a bit of a mini rebuild post TB and while I’m sure there was some talk of Love here they’re clearly ok with rolling out Brissett… for now. 

New Orleans Saints: 24th Overall: Kenneth Murray: B

The Saints have already had a very successful offseason coming into the draft. But with limited draft capital and cap space I think many assumed a trade down was in order.. where there are plenty of LB, DBs, and WRs available to plug some holes.

Now, sometimes that isn’t in your control, and if NOLA couldn’t find a trade partner they did well to fill a hole here. Again, QB probably got a look, unless the Saints and Sean Peyton seriously think 30 year old Hill is the answer behind Brees. But a backup QB doesn’t move the needle and this team is in win now mode. I just don’t like first round LBs (with exception).

Kansas City Chiefs: 25th Overall: Yeter Gross-Matos: A-

YGM has a great name. It’s a fun combination of letters. So is B, P, and A, and thats who it was for me here.

The obvious successor to Jones and a natural fit in KC. High upside pick but satisfies a need. There’s a lot ton to like with Clark showing him the ropes.

Edited by festiveonion
  • Like 1

Moar Draft Grades!

20th Overall Selection of Justin Jefferson to the Jacksonville Jaguars:

Grade - B+

Justin Jefferson was a difficult prospect to evaluate. Like A.J. Brown last year, he played almost entirely from the slot for a team with really talented weapons elsewhere and feasted on running into holes in zones with seam routes and deep over routes. He has a quality football mind and great hands. Unlike Jerry Jeudy, he never had a game where he played mostly outside and toasted an NFL draft pick like Jeudy did to Lavert Hill in Alabama's Bowl game. Like A.J. Brown, Jefferson tested athletically like he might have more than big slot as his ceiling, but Jefferson isn't the YAC guy A.J. Brown was (who is?). I'm not sure he's ever more than a quality big slot guy that exploits the openings created by other players well, but that's still quite valuable. A more athletic Cooper Kupp. Victor Cruz. Something like that. That's a valuable piece and you can be pretty sure that Jefferson has something like that as his expectation. I think that you are also pretty sure that he doesn't have much more as a ceiling. And maybe that's okay with D.J. Chark on the other side. But it is also possible that there was more available at corner or in terms of wide receivers that open things up for an easier to obtain kind of guy like Jefferson.

21st Overall Selection of Kristian Fulton to the Philadelphia Eagles

Grade - A+

Kristian Fulton had a down year and was still one of the best defensive backs in the SEC. The year prior, he was the best. He's intelligent in reading zone keys and can stick well enough in man. He's versatile and long enough to play multiple schemes. I'm a touch wary about his injury history, but otherwise he's brilliant value here for the Eagles. The difference between Slay and Fulton and what they trotted out last year is night and day. Now just cross the fingers that Arcega-Whiteside remembers what football is and that the rest of the receiving corps stays away from trainers' bench.

22nd Selection of Jeff Gladney to the Minnesota Vikings

Grade - B+

I really like Jeff Gladney. I think that he was the third best primary man corner in this draft. He's super sticky, avoids picks well, and doesn't overreact to head and hip route fakes. It's a bit of a weird fit - Minnesota plays mostly zone and has preferred longer corners previously, but they run just as much matchup and replacement zone stuff that basically converts to man. I can follow the logic. I can also see why they would be wary of selecting Trevon Diggs (who has the better zone instincts and is the more traditional Vikings sort of fit physically here) - he has the double whammy of both being a Diggs and being a long corner after the fanbase spent the entire year watching Xavier Rhodes fail to follow receivers with his turning radius of a small aircraft carrier. 

23rd pick of Patrick Queen to the New England Patriots

Grade - C+

An interesting decision here. Patrick Queen is in the Devin White mold - super athlete, not quite good at reading his keys in the run game or the passing game. I do think that he's reasonable value here. I get that both Kyle Van Noy and Jamie Collins are leaving. And maybe the team should continue bolstering their already formidable defense in the hopes of gaining talent while still losing enough games with Stidham and Brissett behind center with an anemic group of weapons in order to get a quarterback next year. But this pick calls out to me of letting the offense rot. And while it makes some sense, it makes me sad. I dock it a grade for this reason.

• Like 1