PSU AD: Two month lead time for CFB season

naptownskinsfan

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Meanwhile, Clay Helton is saying it would take a month to get his team ready to play 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/clay-helton-suggests-usc-would-need-minimum-four-weeks-to-prepare-for-season/

I think about a month prior to camp is probably the general sentiment. I said earlier, I think if you get past the beginning of July and there aren’t organized activities, you are at least looking at a delay. Since the ebbs and flows vary by region, this is a very tricky situation. Ohio State’s President already canceled all organized on-campus activities until July 6. I am sure similar judgments have been made at other places, or will be. If this stuff continues to get pushed further back, even in one region or with a major university, things are really in jeopardy. How one state or one university feels will be irrelevant as it relates to the football season. If one region or school of significance is not on board, it’s trouble. Granted, financially every AD is going to want football. But as this remains rampant, with the CDC and state governors involved, some things will be out of University control. I am guessing this has already happened on some level, but these athletic departments might want to start going over scenarios concerning whether it’s even possible to limit spectators and have college football. Or play just conference games. My opinion is that we will either have all or nothing, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 12:43 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Meanwhile, Clay Helton is saying it would take a month to get his team ready to play 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/clay-helton-suggests-usc-would-need-minimum-four-weeks-to-prepare-for-season/

If I were Clay Helton, I would be saying the earliest my team will be ready is 9/6. I'm using every excuse in the book to try and avoid the beating Alabama is about to throw down.

I like Whit a lot. Always have. He knows there is a real possibility it might not happen on time.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/08/virginia-tech-ad-we-would-be-open-to-shifting-the-cfb-season/

“Everyone wants to try to play a football season if it’s safe,” Babcock said, according to Richmond Times-Dispatch’s Mike Barber. “We would be open to shifting the season, even if it overlapped with other sports.”

That comment isn’t just some AD speaking either. Babcock is a member of the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee, a key decision-making body. While he doesn’t speak for the committee as a whole, the fact that he is even bringing up the topic is notable.