Choice of draft pick

NJ Raider

So my team was derailed by injuries this year and just missed the playoffs. Got some players back towards the end of the season and ended up winning the consolation bracket which rewarded me with my pick of draft slot other than first. Question is, if you had your choice of draft spot other than the first pick, which would you choose? Most people choose second but I don't feel like there is much of a difference between Zeke, Barkley, Kamara, and Cook. There could however, be a drop off at receiver on the snake back in the second round. Going from the three, four, or five spot could lead to a better return in the second round. Btw, I already have Barkley in a dynasty league. Thoughts?

I guess it depends on how your league is set up? We play one keeper so if you happen to get the #1 pick in our league and also have a great keeper then picking #1 then waiting 23 picks again isn't bad. For example, this year's #1 pick in our league is probably Dalvin Cook. The team who also has the #1 has Joe Mixon as his keeper. So if a few things happen, he'll have a killer team by the end of round 3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, NJ Raider said:

So my team was derailed by injuries this year and just missed the playoffs. Got some players back towards the end of the season and ended up winning the consolation bracket which rewarded me with my pick of draft slot other than first. Question is, if you had your choice of draft spot other than the first pick, which would you choose? Most people choose second but I don't feel like there is much of a difference between Zeke, Barkley, Kamara, and Cook. There could however, be a drop off at receiver on the snake back in the second round. Going from the three, four, or five spot could lead to a better return in the second round. Btw, I already have Barkley in a dynasty league. Thoughts?

I still worry about Cook's health so I'd take 4th. If you're fine with Dalvin then pick 5th. Maximize your potential in round 2 if you think all 4 are the same

What I do though is rate the top-50 or so guys in a question of is this person worth of a Top-12 pick(assuming its a 12 team league), then compile a list of who you'd take round 2 and so on

If you have 9 guys you have a 1st round grade on, 11 guys you have a 2nd round grade on, 10 guys as 3rd rounders then you want pick 5 or 6 because assuming you stick to your grades on draft day you are guaranteed to get someone you deemed worthy of the spot before the draft even happened

Yes thats just 30 players out of a possible 36 but you dont necessarily have 32 1st round grades in the NFL Draft either

Also those numbers are purely based on your own bored and odd ball picks happen so you could get lucky, its merely just saying if everyone drafted according to your board then 5 & 6 give you the best option in this hypothetical. 

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I like being in the top 5. There is a pretty decisive advantage in building your team off of a stud RB. 

Yea it really depends year to year but having that stud RB right out of the gate really opens things up because after the first round or 2...maybe 3 if you're lucky the RB pool is hurting bad