A Different Mock

Joe

Not going to dabble in FA with this one. I'm going to use some new names that we're probably not used to seeing in mocks and this may not be the mock we would particularly want, but I'm hoping it could be realistic. There are a couple things that will throw you off, but hear me out on them.

1(30): Josh Jones, OT, Houston:
NFL Draft 2020: Patriots, OT Josh Jones, a possible first-round ...

Sources suggest that we are very interested in Josh Jones. Tampa Bay, New England, and Chicago have all shown similar interest, but given Tampa's needs at RB and DB we shouldn't expect to see Jones selected at 14, and with all of New England's needs, I suspect he won't go at 23 either. That leaves us and Chicago. Chicago would be foolish to trade up given their incredible lack of draft capitol post-Mack trade(they have two 2nd rounders and then they don't pick until the 5th); that leaves us as the most logical place to land him and we wouldn't be reaching on a guy whom we will develop for the RT position at least initially. By this time in the draft, QB needy teams will have already drafted their guy in the first and if not, they would not be looking to trade up for Eason or Fromm so trading back is unlikely. Additionally, we have been tied to Ezra Cleveland and Saadiq Charles; the latter of which fits our body mold very well. Again, Jones is more pro-ready than either Cleveland or Charles despite TDN's criticism.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joshua-jones?id=32194a4f-4e50-6329-4716-1f544b2c7ee9

Alternative picks: Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU; Justin Madubuike, IDL, Texas A&M; Zach Baun, EDGE/LB, Wisconsin

2(62): Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama:
Tide OLB Terrell Lewis projection for 2020 NFL Draft

We're drafting an EDGE somewhere in this draft and with Fackrell gone, we can take a chance on Lewis. Lewis has some medical red flags, but those injuries were back in 2017 and 2018. Given Zierlein's negatives, Lewis may be better off standing up as an EDGE rusher rather than functioning in an even front. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/terrell-lewis/1tIwyEshGw - Harris
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrell-lewis?id=32194c45-5772-9970-70f8-fe95f5aaea05

That said, this becomes a head-scratcher for most of us because we're expecting ILB or WR. However, Lewis claims we've spoken to him multiple times according to several different sources. The link below is the most reliable.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/27/packers-meet-multiple-times-with-alabama-edge-rusher-terrell-lewis-at-combine/

That said, the Giants would have to reach on him a bit at 36 given his injury history, Atlanta has too many other needs to consider him at 47, especially given their hole at CB. Seattle is a possibility in the first at 27 if Schneider wants to roll the dice and could be in play at pick 59 given their needs. However, they too may pass given their time spent interviewing top CB prospects, the possible return of Clowney, and the fact that Yetur Gross-Matos may likely be there at 27 as he has slowly slid down the boards.  Philadelphia has been a possibility as well but they too may pass on Lewis given their immense need at WR, CB, and OT.

Alternative picks: Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio State; Raekwon Davis, IDL, Alabama 

3(94): Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado:
Laviska Shenault, Colorado WR: 2020 NFL Draft profile - cleveland.com

Many of you may be thinking why I have him at 94. Answer is very simple: where does he really fit? Scouts are concerned not only about his durability, but these concerns stem from the fact that he was essentially Colorado's entire offense. This leads to a concern over fit and after reading numerous scouting reports, he would thrive in a place like Green Bay given that he wouldn't have to shoulder such a heavy workload. In the meantime, he can use his existing physical traits to wreck a game while his route-running knowledge and some other technical skills improve. Simply put, Green Bay just might be the best place for him as MLF could be creative in using Shenault's ability to line-up anywhere as a WR, but also the potential to come out of the backfield. Ergo, Shenault falls due to the current injury concerns, but also due to a perceived lack of fit. Every year, we're shocked to see someone plummet down the boards and once they're selected, we figure out why; Shenault is that guy this year.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5 - read Solak's comments

Alternative picks: Saadiq Charles, OT, LSU; Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise St.; Zach Moss, RB, Utah 

***Trade*** We send picks 136, 192, 209, and 236 to Atlanta for picks 119 and 228

4(119): Jordan Elliott, IDL, Missouri:
Jordan Elliott, Missouri DT: 2020 NFL Draft profile - cleveland.com

Elliott is an incredibly flexible athlete for 315 lbs. He will be a bit of a developmental prospect, but can step in and contribute early on. Like Kenny Clark, his play strength pops out on tape, but he'll need to clean up some technique and self-control issues in order to turn the corner. The ceiling is certainly there.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jordan-elliott/7dxcMmdTfH

Alternative picks: Quartney Davis, WR, Texas A&M; Antoine Brooks, DB, Maryland; K'Von Wallace, S, Clemson 

5(175): James Morgan, QB, Florida Atlantic: Should this surprise anyone? Zierlein hates him, but the fit is just too easy to project because most of Morgan's issues are very correctable and being home will help in the mental game to fix these issues.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-morgan?id=32194d4f-5216-3437-2fdf-965084d7442b

6(208): Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vandy: Vaughn draws similarities to Jamaal Williams, which trips our interest. TDN's scouts have a higher opinion of Vaughn due to his effort. At pick 208, you're gonna want a try-hard who isn't a liability.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ke'shawn-vaughn?id=32195641-5545-8202-856a-988711b103bf

7(228): Reggie Robinson, CB, Tulsa: Complete project with NFL size and strength. Look for Jerry Gray to unlock his potential.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/reggie-robinsonii?id=3219524f-4273-6176-83a6-25be1b8cd671

7(242): Ray Lima, IDL, Iowa State: Lima's impact doesn't show up in the box score, but Lima drew enough attention in collapsing the pocket in order to free up teammates to make plays.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ray-lima/ijvy3ScPaI

Notable UDFA's: Josiah Coatney, IDL, Ole Miss; Darrion Daniels, IDL, Nebraska; Kamal Martin, LB, Minnesota; Dezmon Patmon, WR, Wash. St; Jet Anderson, RB, TCU; Jake Hanson, OL, Oregon; Stanford Samuels, DB, FSU

• Like 2

The draft is such a crap shoot.  I don't know much about the players but do like the positions drafted.  One can argue and I'm sure some will about who/where drafted but good work on explaining your draft though out.  OL, DL and WR are positions of need and you did that.

I like different takes;

-not a fan of the edge pick since we have 3 right now but I get it

-I could definitely see Laviska fall. Maybe not 94, but R 3 for sure. Bad combine+injuries+ your concern about his position. He has a C Patterson, Ty Montgomery vibe where he might just be a flex player that isn’t elite at anything. What is that worth? 

Overall interesting

• Like 1

If this is how the top 4 picks go, I would really like this draft, but I find it unlikely that Shenault will fall to the third. There are a lot of WRs lumped around the same grade, so we all will have someone falling, but just dont see Shenault falling all the way to the end of the third.

I have gone back and forth with Jones and do think he will go in the first, but I am not sold on him yet. I think for us it works a little better than most teams as he can sit for a year and develop some better technique and footwork. He does check a lot of boxes, physically and athletically, but I don't know what it is for me, but something just feels off for me with him. I think he can be a solid OT in the league, but will need the right situation, which I think we have for him.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Why do you think Shenault will fall to 94 and Elliott to 119? 

Not sure on Elliot.

The more I think of it, I do think teams are going to see Shenault as a late second to like 4th round. If healthy he was a late first/early second. He then had an injury and tested horribly. That pushes him down at least a round. If my career was on the line, it would be hard to take him in the first 2 rounds. You can get a nice receiver a lower ceiling, but without the additional 10-20% injur bust risk.

12 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

.I have gone back and forth with Jones and do think he will go in the first, but I am not sold on him yet. I think for us it works a little better than most teams as he can sit for a year and develop some better technique and footwork. He does check a lot of boxes, physically and athletically, but I don't know what it is for me, but something just feels off for me with him. I think he can be a solid OT in the league, but will need the right situation, which I think we have for him.

See this is where I am with him as well, but the fact that we’ve visited with him at multiple events strongly suggests that he’s our pick at 30 IMHO. His mobility is what triggers our scouts I think. Same with Saadiq Charles in particular, but again, we go with Jones because he’s slightly less of a project. I thought about going Jones, Shenault, Charles, but that’s highly unlikely.

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The more I think of it, I do think teams are going to see Shenault as a late second to like 4th round. If healthy he was a late first/early second. He then had an injury and tested horribly. That pushes him down at least a round. If my career was on the line, it would be hard to take him in the first 2 rounds. You can get a nice receiver a lower ceiling, but without the additional 10-20% injur bust risk.

Snag him....somewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

See this is where I am with him as well, but the fact that we’ve visited with him at multiple events strongly suggests that he’s our pick at 30 IMHO. His mobility is what triggers our scouts I think. Same with Saadiq Charles in particular, but again, we go with Jones because he’s slightly less of a project. I thought about going Jones, Shenault, Charles, but that’s highly unlikely.

Yeah the interest is there, at least to the public, and I think he brings a lot to the table that intrigue us. He is someone that if some things get cleaned up he could be a very good RT and a potential LT is something goes horrible with Bahk's contract negotiations. 

Value perspective, I like Charles in the third or fourth better than Jones in the first just from the perspective that if they are both going to sit lets get the guy with similar tools later and draft for a guy that can impact earlier. With that said I wouldn't be upset with Jones at 30, but just feel indifferent. 

27 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

I have gone back and forth with Jones and do think he will go in the first, but I am not sold on him yet. I think for us it works a little better than most teams as he can sit for a year and develop some better technique and footwork. He does check a lot of boxes, physically and athletically, but I don't know what it is for me, but something just feels off for me with him. I think he can be a solid OT in the league, but will need the right situation, which I think we have for him.

If you liked Andre Dillard last year, you're a fan of Josh Jones.  If you didn't like Dillard, you won't like Jones.  He's not quite the pass protector that Dillard was and not quite the athletic tools, but they're cut from the same cloth.  Unlike Isaiah Wilson, he's got the tools to be an elite pass protector and you're taking a chance on the tools and believing you can develop him.

2 hours ago, rbens06 said:

Value perspective, I like Charles in the third or fourth better than Jones in the first just from the perspective that if they are both going to sit lets get the guy with similar tools later and draft for a guy that can impact earlier. With that said I wouldn't be upset with Jones at 30, but just feel indifferent. 

That's exactly how I feel, just can't ignore the kind of interest we're showing with the guy though. This may be as predictable as Sternberger's selection last year. Everyone knew we were going to take him at 75.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you liked Andre Dillard last year, you're a fan of Josh Jones.  If you didn't like Dillard, you won't like Jones.  He's not quite the pass protector that Dillard was and not quite the athletic tools, but they're cut from the same cloth.  Unlike Isaiah Wilson, he's got the tools to be an elite pass protector and you're taking a chance on the tools and believing you can develop him.

I think we take that chance because of the tools that are already there. He just has to clean up some basic things and he could be a good long-term solution IMHO. That said, Charles is in the same boat and fits the body mold that we typically go for; the only problem is that he's apparently further behind in his next level jump than Jones or so the scouts claim. I didn't have an opinion on Dillard last year, but I know a lot of people here were very high on him. Again, I'd rather go Charles in the 3rd or 4th if he's there and go IDL or WR at 30 if we don't trade back; which I doubt we will.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And that is where I am at, I was not a huge fan of Dillard, nor Jones, in round one. Give me those guys in round two last year or this year and I am happy. But I understand why they go in one. With that said I am not upset with them at that 30 spot (I know Dillard was last year, but just for comp sake), but its one I am a little nervous about from a bust perspective. I think for us this year to let Jones sit, develop more strength and refine technique some (I have seen some horrendous first steps out of him) would benefit him tremendously and could be something that allows him to be a solid OT for a long time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe said:

That's exactly how I feel, just can't ignore the kind of interest we're showing with the guy though. This may be as predictable as Sternberger's selection last year. Everyone knew we were going to take him at 75.

Totally understand that. 

• Like 1