Cowboys - Build The Board, #29

DaBoys

DALLAS COWBOYS BIG BOARD     

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #29 Player on our big board?

• DE- Curtis Weaver, Boise St
    • CB - Trevon Diggs, Alabama
    • RB - J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
    • DT - Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
    • OT - Joshua Jones, Houston
    • CB - Jaylon Johnson, Utah
    • DT - Ross Blacklock, TCU
    • C - Cesar Ruiz, Michigan
    • TE - Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
    • RB - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Clemson
    • WR - Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St.
    • CB - Kristian Fulton, LSU
    • WR - Laviska Shenault jr., Colorado
    • S - Grant Delpit, LSU
    • CB - A.J. Terrell, Clemson
    • S - Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
    • OT - Austin Jackson, USC
    • RB - D'Andre Swift, Georgia
    • DT- Marlon Davidson, Auburn
    • WR - Tee Higgins, Clemson

Lots of good CBs around this area. Fulton has been getting votes, Trevon Diggs is rumored to the Cowboys at 17, but I'm going with Jaylon Johnson out of Utah. I would have picked him over Gladney personally.

CB - Jaylon Johnson, Utah

Nfl.com has him as the 3rd best CB behind Okudah and Henderson.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/CB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

Overview

Boundary bully with an improving skill set to clamp down on WR1s and limit their exposure to the football. Johnson is built for press, with the size, length and athleticism to force receivers to work harder getting into their routes. His eagerness to stay tight to the route leads to inconsistent balance and positioning from time to time, but his foot quickness and agility allow for rapid recoveries. He's equipped to play the deep ball but needs to fully prove himself in that area. He's a physical press corner with off-man ability whose anticipation and ball skills should continue to help him make plays as a CB1 and first-round pick.

dJ actually has him ranked 29th

Jaylon Johnson, CB

Jaylon-Johnson-1.jpg

School: Utah | Year: Junior 

Johnson offers an enticing size/speed combination for the position. He plays a lot of press-bail technique, but also flashes a firm two-hand jam. He is very fluid to open up and has plenty of long speed to carry vertical routes. He also excels when he slides inside to cover the slot. He was rarely challenged down the field in the games I studied. His ball production was outstanding in 2018 and opposing teams chose to avoid him last fall. He is very aggressive versus the run. He closes quickly before coming to balance and delivering firm tackles. Overall, Johnson is very talented and should be a Day 1 starter outside with the potential to cover in the slot as well.

usatsi_11684471.jpg?w=1000&h=646

merlin_17317.0.jpg

Jaylon-Johnson-vs.-Washington.jpg

11022019_uw_171652-1020x793.jpg

Guy is a ball hawk going back to his freshman year. He has a TD each of the last 2 years, and 6 picks... had 11 pass breakups last season 

Makes me wonder if CJ Henderson is the right pick at 17. With Trevon Diggs, Kristian Fulton, AJ Terrell, Jeff Gladney, and Jaylon Johnson still hanging around. I'd probably rather have one of them and two 2nds than CJ Henderson and one 2nd.

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You mean Delpit. And yes, he’s fallen because he can’t tackle.

Lmao at the autocorrect, been working on my phone a little too much, apparently.

And yes, I am aware why he has fallen, and  is not considered a top choice for #17. But I am surprised how far he has fallen. It seems Cowboys fans don’t even view him as a potential option, even in a trade back to the late 1st round. I’m personally very much a fan of his if we were able to land him in the late 20s.

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Lmao at the autocorrect, been working on my phone a little too much, apparently.

And yes, I am aware why he has fallen, and  is not considered a top choice for #17. But I am surprised how far he has fallen. It seems Cowboys fans don’t even view him as a potential option, even in a trade back to the late 1st round. I’m personally very much a fan of his if we were able to land him in the late 20s.

You like him better than Winfield?

This is an interesting write up

Cesar Ruiz, C
Cesar-Ruiz-1.jpg

School: Michigan | Year: Junior 
Previous rank: 37 

Ruiz is an extremely consistent, physical and aware center. In pass protection, he has a tight punch and immediate anchor. His lower body is outrageously strong. He is very aware vs. twists/stunts. He lacks elite foot quickness, but he doesn't have any issues sliding and redirecting to stay square vs. defenders. In the run game, he latches and runs his feet to create movement. He is outstanding on combo blocks, staying under control, locating and walling off linebackers. His lack of foot quickness shows up on outside pulls. Overall, Ruiz reminds me of Travis Frederick coming out of Wisconsin.

Edited by DaBoys

12 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I still can't believe we habe McKinney so high. Him and JT are on eyesore on this big board.

Nahhh...  maybe a little high on Taylor but not egregiously so. McKinney is situated just fine imo, when you look at other boards

Xavier McKinney ranks:

DC Forum Board: 22nd

CBS.com: 21st

NFL.com 35th

TDN: 15th

DraftTek: 19th

Sports Illustrated: 23rd

Jonathan Taylor

DC Forum Board: 28th

CBS: 32nd

NFL: 27th

TDN: 32nd

Sports Illustrated: 29th

DraftTek: 41st

The real eyesore is that we haven't been able to push D'Andre Swift through. He's ranked as high as 11th on other boards.