Texans @ Patriots

amazingandre

Great effort by Texans.  3rd and 1 dive call doomed us as it has so many times before. However, this loss should be firmly laid at Kareem Jackson's feet.  This player is 100% certifiable garbage and  continues to prove it game after game season after season.  Dude can always be counted on for idiotic drive extending defensive holding calls and getting fooled leaving his man wide open.  Entire winning drive targeted Jackson which the league has been doing in crunch time for 8 seasons now. Wanted to punch people in the face last week for saying he had a good game because of a hit on a runner and a sack - just like people will applaud Gilchrist's sack while ignoring his abysmal coverage. I've been warning about the obvious "weak links" in coverage will destroy all the good things this defense does elsewhere and we can chaulk up 1 loss absolutely, positively on Kareem Jackson and the safeties.  Would have been a season changing victory - lost because of a stubborn coach ignoring a mountain of data showing diving into pile in short yardage doesn't work (especially with THIS line and Lamar Miller) and a GM who ignores the safety position every season, and the WORST coverage corner in the NFL 8 season's running - Kareem f'ng Jackson.

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So much emotion on this one. This game should have been ours. Coaching staff let us down today. Players did everything they could.

Eh...the secondary sucked all game not just when they went to prevent. Hogan was apparently invisible.

That was so demoralizing. So many chances to close out the game and they just didn't make the necessary plays. Obrien not calling a timeout once Hopkins went down was infuriating, but it shouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place. The front seven played lights out, too bad the secondary couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.  

Deshaun Watson is so fun to watch though, hopefully he can keep it up. 

3rd and 1 call and amatuerish handling of clock at the end is how a coach loses a locker room.  What should have been his finest hour is going to morph into a very uncomfortable plane ride home. 

PS - leave Kareem Jackson on the tarmac. If he was just stupid you could almost forgive him, but he also quit on this team with the game on the line.  Effort on final TD drive, TD catch, and 2 pt conversion need to be looped and replaying on the seat monitors.  Stupid.  Lazy. Quitter.

Football Gods are just toying with me at this point.  Baylor losing to Falwell U / Texans losing to Jags was an abysmal weekend getting slapped in the face with the reality of how far the teams I love have fallen.  This weekend with Baylor beating #3 Oklahoma then letting it slip away late & the Texans beating the #1 Pats then letting it slip away late hurts even more as they made me believe again, then tortured me for it.  Sure, feel much better about the state of both teams than after week 1, but these kind of losses are so much more emotionally crippling as you start envisioning how great it's going to feel, then watch it slip thru your fingers.  Sadly there was also points in both games where you could see the trainwreck coming and could do nothing to stop it.

Well, hopefully Kareem Hunt saves my fantasy weekend as unlike the Texans I LEARN from my mistakes and adjust my lineup. 

38 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Eh...the secondary sucked all game not just when they went to prevent. Hogan was apparently invisible.

Doesn't matter. Game was within reach within a minute left and they botched it. Secondary was burned on the same route multiple times, but the team was still in the game until the coaching staff botched the last possession, then the last stand where you let the the best QB in the game walk into the W.

This is on coaching. Period. End of story. A well coached, disciplined staff wins when their franchise QB does what he did today in his 2nd start.

I defended O'Brien this entire offseason, but I'm done with him after today. He is the problem.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

UMMM thanks captain obvious

If people focus on those :10 seconds, we're doing it wrong.  I can forgive "mistakes."  That one is mutual between O'Brien and Watson but cost us one play to maybe get a few yards closer before throwing a hail mary most of which get intercepted anyway.  What is unforgivable is making the SAME mistake over and over.  Running speed back Miller into the pile in short yardage hasn't worked in 2 seasons and has literally cost us games before (Raiders, last year?).  Kareem Jackson isolated in coverage on ANYONE has been costing us games for 8 seasons now.  

BTW - The true mistake was made when management approved of letting O'Brien be both Head Coach and OC.  No data to back it up, but it seems like every coach who does this ends up costing his team dearly at some point because they are busy coordinating and miss things the Head Coach would ordinarily be in OCs ear about or at least there as a check and balance.   Kubiak did the same thing as he could never manage both the clock and calling the plays, go for it/kick decisions were terrible, and challenge flag use was awful.  I even saw it show up in the Tech/UH game this weekend with Kliffy almost costing his team a FG (in a 3 point game) because he was talking to his QB instead of making sure his kick team was on the field and calling a time out to avoid taking delay of game penalty pushing them to the limit of the kickers range.  There are a few times every season where you need the HEAD COACH to step in and cover the butt of an OC who has his hands full getting plays in and when the HC is OC, it means you don't have a HC watching the the bigger picture in crunch time! I'd like to think a HC  know how critical it was to not give Brady 2 minutes and a TO needing only a TD to win, but it's not like he overruled Godsey when we were repeatedly running Miller into piles in short yardage last year.

Props again to the Jay Prosch resigning today.  The only possible justification for carrying a fullback in this era of football is for short yardage situations with the game on the line and we have to have been amongst the worst short yardage teams in football the entirety of Jay Prosch's time here.  Teams figured out long ago that fullbacks actually clog more holes than they open and allow the defense to focus even more attention on the point of attack.  A tight end must be accounted for as a play action threat causing at least some hesitation for lineman on the edge.  If anything a fullback calls defensive attention to where the play is going with a player who is not athletic enough to be a threat to get the football and not big enough to make any impact running into D-lineman and Linebacker who dwarf him.  It's just a stupid old school philosophy that ignores the massive physical advantage defensive players in THIS ERA have in short yardage and a fullback on the field leading speed backs into piles only tips the scale further in the defenses favor.  How about using our heads instead of running them into brick walls, Mr. Ivy League! 

PS - Run blocking is the only reason XSF is still on this roster - How's that been working out?

This goes back to BOB making the challenge on the Watt no sack. there was no point in challenging that play. The difference was 12 yards and it was going to be 4th down and the Pats were going to punt. It cost us a TO. If we dont do that we have the ball at midfield with 13 seconds left and a time out at the end, instead of what should have been 13 seconds and no TOs. He really screwed us on that one. Watson was making plays all day and the Pats D is almost as bad as ours. I would have liked the chances of Watson getting another 15-20 yards to get us in good FG range. instead we throw a hail mary pick 6 which will forever add to Watsons INT total for absolutely no reason. 

But BOB the "Greatest Coach in Texans History" has a long history of not knowing what the heck he is doing. Watson has me scared now that he will get us to 8 or 9 wins and we will keep BOB for another year. 

I do have a more positive impression of our team after this game. Its obvious that our Line has problems, but they have gotten a little better, and Watsons ability to not get sacked is exactly what we need with the line the way it is. Filo is still the weak point, which hopefully he will go to the bench when Allen is back. Fuller will make a huge difference. Watson will hit him on some of those overthrows he had today because of his speed. 

we need to take either the Titans or the Chiefs game and then beat the Browns. In order for us to make the playoffs this year, its going to take 10 games. I can see us beating the Browns, Colts x2, Rams, Cards, and 49ers. None of those are a given, but that would give us 7 wins. Which means we have to win 3 of the Titans x2, Jags, Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, and Seahawks. Maybe a split with the Titans, beat the Jags and then maybe either the Ravens or Seahawks who are struggling. Steelers are gonna tear our secondary apart.  

Archived