broncos67 Mock Draft v.1

broncos67

I'm going to do 2 separate mock drafts, one with trades, one without. Part 1 is going to be the draft assuming no trades. As is my usual strategy, I'm projecting what I think Denver will do, not necessarily what I want or what I would do.

Round 1, Pick 15- C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida

Given I am assuming no trades, I would tend to believe the 3 WRs and 4 OTs will be off the board by the time we pick. In real life, I think this could be a prime trade back scenario, but in this scenario, I see us taking Henderson. I am personally somewhat lukewarm on him because I don't see the scheme fit, necessarily, but I do very much think the Broncos like him, especially with some of the media smoke. He's a sticky cover guy, which is obviously ideal, but not sure he's the most willing tackler. That said, he fills a major need for us.

Round 2, Pick 46- KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State

Candidly, I am not a huge Hamler fan. I live in PSU country, I watch him often. He's got lightning speed, and his electric with the ball in his hands, but he's small, some questions about his catch consistency, and clearly he's not an outside threat and is limited to the slot. That said, I think the Broncos are flat out enamored with speed. Saw Klis mention something about how Denver's WR big board is different than other teams, which leads me to believe there's a premium on speed. If we can scheme Hamler open, it could be a good gamble, but we still lack the #2 on the outside.

Round 3, Pick 77- Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

Niang has a ton of potential, if not for getting hurt (and playing through it) last year. I think the lack of offseason testing is going to push certain OTs down the board further than they normally might go, and Niang is a guy who can take a developmental year in an ideal world, and then slot in at one of the tackle spots in 2021. He's got a ton of upside, and I think represents a significant value at this spot.

Round 3, Pick 83- Tyler Biadasz, OC, Wisconsin

I believe this guy will be firmly on Denver's radar at this point in the draft. They've shown interest in Cesar Ruiz, so I would not be surprised to see both IOL and OT addressed relatively early in this draft. Some concerns with Biadasz have popped up recently, but I think he's a great fit in Denver and would, again, represent a great value and could be an early contributor for this offense.

Round 3, Pick 95- Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

Four year starter, three year captain, plays locally, fills a position of need. This one seems to check all the boxes Elway and Co. like in players, and he would be a contributor on ST at least on Day 1. 

Round 4, Pick 118- Leki Fotu, DL, Utah

Fully expecting Denver to take a long, hard look at Fotu around this spot. He's an absolute load in the middle, and can be a rotational piece for this year with an eye towards starting in the future. Purcell and Casey are here for 1-2 years. Fotu re-anchors the middle of the line going forward.

Round 5, Pick 178- Antoine Brooks, S, Maryland

He's going to be a good one. Brooks is a nice dime DB that can fill some of the Will Parks role. Worst case, he can slot in a reserve role and be an excellent special teams option, which, at this point in the draft is crucial. Plus, he's a Terp.

Round 6, Pick 181- Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt

Fully expecting Denver to snag a RB at some point. Vaughn is not a superstar, but he is an effective one-cut guy who could do well in this scheme and has pass blocking chops. I think his long speed probably drops him down board some, but he's a good player.

Round 7, Pick 252- Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech

Pure projection + upside guy. I know we met with him, so we take a stab at some depth with potential backup TE upside.

Round 7, Pick 254- Robert Windsor, DL, Penn State

Another guy we recently met with. Another dart throw that Kollar can work with on the PS.

• Like 1

Henderson is a top 15 prospect, but he’s one of my least favorite prospects in this draft.  His effort and mindset are serious red flags.  His attempts and faking being interested vs the run are some of the most comical things on a football field I’ve ever seen.  Either way I think he’s good value at 15.

Now on the flipside, Hamler is one of my favorite prospects in this draft, he’s electric and plays hard.  It’s clear he loves football.  However, I was telling a friend of mine yesterday that as much as I like him, he’s a player I’d have trouble drafting ahead of bigger players that can play the outside at WR if I didn’t already have that player on the roster.

Those are just some of my thoughts.  It’s still a very good draft.

Very good draft this, wouldn't complain at all. I'd probably prefer a 2nd WR (a bigger possession guy) to pair with Hamler and a FS to backup Simmons at some point, but I'm just nitpicking. Love the Brooks pick which I also had in my mock, and love Biadasz. Only reason I went for Hennessy over him is because of the medical concerns, but love Biadasz as a player.

But, as you say Ben, if we don't move and if all three WRs and all four OTs are off the board, I expect a trade down. 

Honestly, a trade down (Say 15 to 25) while getting a 2021 1st and another 2020 3-4 round pick could be a prudent move. Next draft the evaluation process should be back to normal so your not taking the same type of risk IMO. 

NO seems to trade up somewhat frequently, something like 15 for 24, 130 and 2021 1st. I could see them regress this year as well if Brees finally breaks down, making that a potentially lucrative FRP. 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Honestly, a trade down (Say 15 to 25) while getting a 2021 1st and another 2020 3-4 round pick could be a prudent move. Next draft the evaluation process should be back to normal so your not taking the same type of risk IMO. 

NO seems to trade up somewhat frequently, something like 15 for 24, 130 and 2021 1st. I could see them regress this year as well if Brees finally breaks down, making that a potentially lucrative FRP. 

The risk associated with this years draft vs next years is a good point.  I wonder how much it’ll affect trade negotiations and such

On 4/17/2020 at 12:10 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I would be happy with this. 

But, as you say Ben, if we don't move and if all three WRs and all four OTs are off the board, I expect a trade down. 

Hard to imagine it being the case. I agree I'd be happy with this as well. QBs and defensive players I think will all be gone. I think Jeudy goes to the Raiders and we get our pick of all the WRs and maybe 2 out of the 4 OTs, worst case.