Just how clutch Matthew Stafford?

Illadelegend215

10 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Clutch is a stupid made up thing to explain away why a player didn't play better for 55 minutes of the game. FYI Stafford is a good QB. Good QBs should do well when given four downs to get 10 yards.

Nah I disagree. There are plenty of players throughout all of sports that ball out through entire games, they just get in a zone during the end of them. I've noticed Matt Stafford does it a lot. I'm a Vikings fan, but I do watch them from time to time and he is pretty impressive down the stretch of games 

20 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

He led 8 comebacks last year, almost had one today if it wasn't for the knee touching first. He seems to thrive during late game situations. Where does he rank as a clutch qb? Can we have an argument to put him in the Tom Brady/Aaron Rogers realm?

I would say he's up there but below those guys. Part of the reason he's had so many is because the lions are behind more than the packers/patriots. 

Hes definitely up there but I can't put him with or ahead of those two in that category.

21 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

He led 8 comebacks last year, almost had one today if it wasn't for the knee touching first. He seems to thrive during late game situations. Where does he rank as a clutch qb? Can we have an argument to put him in the Tom Brady/Aaron Rogers realm?

Stafford is doing well in that category, but Vinny Testaverde also had plenty of regular season comebacks. The mark of an elite QB is usually being able to pull off the comeback in bigger games, like the postseason. The HOF-bound guys usually find a way to execute against the higher competition. Tony Romo is a mystery, had plenty of regular season comebacks, but failed when his team needed him most. One of those inexplicable aspects of sports.

The word clutch gets thrown around too often, and it doesn't necessarily mean what people think it means.  It is a real thing, in the sense that some people perform better under pressure than others.  Some people even thrive under pressure.  However, if you dissect a lot of these comeback victories, you'll find a lot of stuff has to go right, and there's often a lot of luck involved.  But the QB always gets all the credit for it, and sometimes they deserve it, sometimes not.

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Feels like just yesterday the narrative surrounding Stafford was how he had never beaten a team with a winning record. My my, how times have changed.

Well, I mean, in fairness, he has improved a good bit since losing Calvin Johnson.  Its not like that narrative was completely off base.

In terms of the thread.....Ive been giving Stafford alot of credit over the last 2-3 years, but when has he been clutch in a career defining moment?    Im not saying he isnt clutch at all, but its downright silly to ask if he should be mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady.  

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Feels like just yesterday the narrative surrounding Stafford was how he had never beaten a team with a winning record. My my, how times have changed.

Him being clutch doesn't change his awful record versus winning teams. Whatever side of the fence you lie on with Stafford and that record, it doesn't have to coincide with how clutch you think he is.

Archived