Baltimore Ravens 2020 NFL Draft Thread

coordinator0

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't think it's about winning, so much as it's a fun way to look back on personal evaluations and value compared to how the actual GM executed the draft.

I guess other participants could vote for who they think had the best haul a couple years later though.

Makes sense. We could probably play it now... just with the benefit of the entire draft picture... versus the micro picture of the moment. Would still be about player evaluations at that point.

Like for instance in the post draft of 2018... no way most of us are taking Hayden Hurst. In that moment we might’ve said... give me this player instead. For instance in my hugely flawed WR rankings I tried for that year... Courtland Sutton (though I wasn’t a fan for much of that process) ended up I believe at the top with DJ Moore. So I might’ve decided to take the trade and go with him instead of Hurst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I like the name (as in our QB), but I hate the player here, I had him in mocks early just because of the irony. But while he’s very physical, he’s not a CB. He doesn’t have the speed to play there... maybe if he goes to a cover 2 squad he could be a fit. Definitely not a fit for our defense IMO.

It was purely for the reason to have 2 Lamar Jackson's haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Makes sense. We could probably play it now... just with the benefit of the entire draft picture... versus the micro picture of the moment. Would still be about player evaluations at that point.

Like for instance in the post draft of 2018... no way most of us are taking Hayden Hurst. In that moment we might’ve said... give me this player instead. For instance in my hugely flawed WR rankings I tried for that year... Courtland Sutton (though I wasn’t a fan for much of that process) ended up I believe at the top with DJ Moore. So I might’ve decided to take the trade and go with him instead of Hurst.

I think the point of their game is that you don't have the benefit of hindsight in any form.  Not even knowing later that you could have gotten better value.

For example, I think there were people that wanted Mims at 28, but knowing now that he was available at 55 could just take him there instead and get a "free" first rounder by reorganising things.  Same with Zach Baun, except you'd get a "free" 1st and 2nd.

Making your pick as they happen irl means you'd be giving a more true representation of what you'd do if you were the GM

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I think the point of their game is that you don't have the benefit of hindsight in any form.  Not even knowing later that you could have gotten better value.

For example, I think there were people that wanted Mims at 28, but knowing now that he was available at 55 could just take him there instead and get a "free" first rounder by reorganising things.  Same with Zach Baun, except you'd get a "free" 1st and 2nd.

Making your pick as they happen irl means you'd be giving a more true representation of what you'd do if you were the GM

Like I did? I drafted Baun first in our Mock.. Smh. Harrison in the 2nd, Cushenberry too.. 

I'll just hide. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It was purely for the reason to have 2 Lamar Jackson's haha

Makes sense then, I was definitely in the same boat too. Kind of like how it would’ve been cool if Josh Allen played with Josh Allen last season or AJ Green the corner got drafted by the Bengals to play with AJ Green the receiver... in which case all of them would be lined up opposites sides of the ball... but especially in AJ Green’s case they could literally lineup against each other consistently in practice reps.

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

For example, I think there were people that wanted Mims at 28, but knowing now that he was available at 55 could just take him there instead ad get a "free" first rounder by reorganising things.  Same with Zach Baun, except you'd get a "free" 1st and 2nd.

Oh I understand. I’m simply saying because the idea was brought up in hindsight it could be played in hindsight for the first year... and then change in future years.

3 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Like I did? I drafted Baun first in our Mock.. Smh. Harrison in the 2nd, Cushenberry too.. 

I'll just hide. 

Eh, I think db brain washed most of us into the "Zach Baun at pick 28" cult  I say blame him :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I'll always question the Dobbins pick. Think we could've hit on an early impact guy at a need/key position, but I'll give that one some time and EDC certainly looks to have dug some value out of the board.

I think that Dobbins presented too much value for the Ravens at that point.. It sounded like Dobbins was super high on their board and they were shocked he was still there.. I personally love how the Ravens don't obsess over need,  it's what allows them to make so many great value picks.. 

I fully trust Eric and company,  they are the best in the business and everyone knows it! 

54 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Eh, I think db brain washed most of us into the "Zach Baun at pick 28" cult  I say blame him :P

FWIW I’ve been all over the place this draft season. My first draft crush Tyler Biadasz all the way last mock season since he didn’t come out, early this mock season I had Cesar Ruiz as my backup option as a top shelf center option. But then Patrick Mekari started to emerge as center and I really love his potential so I thought other positions might provide more impact round one, such as a Derwin James type of hybrid safety... so I fell in love with Jacoby Stevens of LSU. Then I felt he would go too high and I thought we could improve our IDL so I had Raekwon Davis in a mock as the first pick... granted this was likely back in November or something after much tape hadn’t been watched. 

Jacoby Stevens stayed in school and I went searching for another LBer that I liked, hating most LBers I stumbled onto that were high in boards at that time, then I watched a little of Jacob Phillips and thought... maybe, then I decided he was not only too slow for what we need, but had a slow trigger, that he didn’t make a lot of proactive plays that many were reactive plays... then I stumbled upon Zack Baun and he was the first LBer I saw that ACTUALLY showed me something in this class and I love him for it... but then I saw Patrick Queen in a mock somewhere as an early 3rd round pick out of no where as he had surprisingly declared... looked into his LSU tape and was in love with him as well...

Then I noticed that Zack Baun was 23 turning 24 and began to hate his limited upside potential, lowering him in my estimation. Also around that time I began to notice early season Patrick Queen and I got nervous about him, so I search for other LBers. I found Jordyn Brooks and really began liking him as a backup option to Queen, with Malik Harrison being the backup to the backup. Roughly right before that @DreamKid showed his first highlight of Justin Madubuike... and I was convinced that he would also make for a beastly first round selection, then I noticed some inconsistency issues in his tape.

Then I noticed Chris Orr’s sack production at Wisconsin and I began to start to wonder if perhaps there was something I wasn’t seeing with Baun, that perhaps he was a product of his system... he was only a one hit wonder after all. Watching Wisconsin, I figured I might as well rewatch combine standout Jonathan Taylor and loved what I saw... then I rewatched him after someone else on here @baltimoreRebel perhaps mentioned he had a problem with his tape and I revisited Taylor’s tape looking for flaws as well as revisited my initial RB rankings from preseason... where I had him ranked #4, (my #1 RB being one JK Dobbins) figured the combine might be influencing my opinion of him too much. That and his number of carries are high. So I lowered him down in my rankings onto that same level as Nick Chubb (Hadn’t heard about all the fumble issues until the draft, didn’t see any on his cut ups and thus didn’t think to see if I could find those numbers.) 

Then I just decided to look at the safety position with a playmaker such as Grant Delpit or Antoine Winfield as that position is the one least likely to bust in the first round. Also must’ve read too much into that Jamal Adams trade speculation that we might’ve been looking to deploy another high option safety. 

I had already seen Brett Kollman’s video on Denzel Mims, but I rewatched it and really started to like the idea of giving Lamar a physical WR that could also take the top off the defense and he became my final “guy”.

This was certainly not like 2018 with Nick Chubb, Derwin James, and then Lamar Jackson late in the process when I saw him shred Derwin James or like 2019 where Jeffery Simmons and JJAW were the guys I wanted the entire time. The only player in this class I didn’t move around on was Jerry Jeudy... but I figured we hadn’t much of a shot at getting him/trading up the needed amount of value for him.

So long story not short, this whole draft season I’ve sort of been the boy who cried draft wolf. So I definitely can’t complain that Eric DeCosta skipped on Denzel Mims... had the draft been an additional week I might’ve gotten cold feet with him too.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

Could well be the next UDFA to make the active roster to keep the streak going considering that there is likely a spot at TE3 up for grabs

Definitely looks like a natural catching the ball. Haven't seen much comment on his blocking ability. 

Edited by CoverZero
  • Like 1