Twins Talk - Where Snow Outs Happen

The Gnat

Thread for talk on the Minnesota Twins who are currently sitting about .500 and are close to playoff position.

Do the Twins try and get a starting pitcher for cheap that could push them over the top? Or do the Twins sell on Ervin Santana and maybe a player like Kintzler or Dozier?

After the series with the Tigers, I feel like the Twins should basically sit tight at this point in time. I wouldn't mind trading Santana right now, but I don't know about the message that they would be sending to the fans, especially casual fans that you need to help fill the stadium/make money.  Santana should bring back a nice haul though.

I think with Dozier that they should hold onto him until the off season, and move him then if they decide to. If he can heat up some in the second half, it'll help is trade value which isn't bad right now, but could be better with a strong second half showing.

And I was wrong, the Twins have now made a move and gotten Garcia. I don't mind the Twins making the move, they didn't give up that much, or at least that much that would impact the team any time soon.

If the Twins don't make the playoffs, I'm  not opposed to them trading Dozier at the end of the season still.

Trading for Jamie Garcia and then trading him away was slightly odd, but we got a couple of pitchers a bit higher up the food chain in the minors in the deal.

The trade deadline is today, I hope that the Twins can manage to move Santana now. They should get a massive haul for him if they did because he has another year left after this one and a club option for a year after that. The option makes me fine if we keep him, but I'd be more fine moving him now.

Twins have been hanging around even after selling off the piece that they bought and Kintzler. I feel like hanging around (and hanging around .500) is what we can expect the Twins to do.

The defense was a bit shoddy yesterday, and Ervin Santana couldn't extend his lead over all other MLB teams with his 6th complete game (no other team has more than four).

If Dozier stays hot, I'd be pretty happy with trading him in the off season.

Twins win again!

The offense was very impressive last night. Not much power, but stringing together singles is more impressive in many ways, and I'll gladly take that as the power is there in the line-up as well. Buxton needed those three hits as he'd been hovering around .220 since he came back before that. I think by the end of the year Buxotn will hopefully be hitting .230-.235, and if that is the case, I would expect a better start from him next year and hopefully hitting in the .250-.260 range for a season.

Enns looked okay-ish in his first start. I'd be fine with him getting another start. That was the first time I'd seen that hard throwing reliever pitch. I like him, but I forget his name.

I might be talking to myself, but the Twins are winning, so I got to keep commenting.

Buxton has been doing well as of late as have Rosario and Dozier as of late. Polanco and Mauer have been hitting the ball as well. Really the whole line-up is hitting and when one player isn't hitting, someone who hasn't been hitting starts hitting.

The pen has been great as of late, but man, the starters, we need Santana and Berrios to get back to pitching like they were to start the season so we have someone eating up some innings.

They're probably out of the division race now after a rough series (1-3) against the Indians.

The Twins hit well, but couldn't drive in runs yesterday in both games of the double header. Thankfully they got a great start for a rookie and were able to win the second game. Buxton is also hitting really well right now. Up to a .234 batting average, which doesn't sound that great, but with the number of AB's he has and having a couple of bad months earlier in the season, he's hitting the ball really well.

Also, Robbie Grossman broke his thumb (I think) when he and Buxton kind of collided in right center field. The Twins brought up corner OF and catcher, Garver from the minors. He has some pop and I hope he does well enough that next season he can either start at catcher or at least be the back-up catcher. He's a good defensive catcher, and better offensively than either Castro or Giminez.

Twins win some more!

The pitching staff has done well as of late, and the offense has been mashing the ball. That was a fun first inning, that I almost completely missed. I was really happy to see Rosario and Buxton moved up in the line-up. I hope both of them stick towards the top for right now.

Sano going to the DL could have a fairly big negative impact. He seemed to be seeing the ball well and while he hadn't been mashing as much (though that seemed to be improving again) he was playing great defense at 3rd base and was drawing walks.

Vargas, while not Sano, has performed well with limited and not routine playing time. Combine that with Sano's recent struggles, the weak upcoming schedule, and the relatively short amount of time that he will be on the DL, and I think they will be ok.