11th Pick Mekhi Becton

Bobby816

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But do you care about him “more than likely” straight up lying about it to our GM to make him think that it was his 1st rime ever smoking weed?

You've taken a supposition (that he lied) and now you are proceeding with it, carrying it to extremes as if it's fact.  This is all nonsense.  You don't know that he lied and if so whether he lied to JD or whatever.  Weed positives are not even going to publicized any more per CBA.  Non-issue.

Edited by dcat
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I doubt it was the first time he ever smoked weed too. But I don’t care. Apparently our highly regarded new GM doesn’t either. Or he’s easily duped. 

the fact of the matter is JD knows more about the situation and player than we do. And he still made the pick. 

Just seems trivial to worry about at this point 

Add to that you don't know what the hell he told JD in private.  The Jets had not one, but TWO interviews with Becton, in fact he was the only candidate with a pair of interviews.  I just don't know if the 2nd one was post the the reveal of the combine failed weed test.  

Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.  See Dan Marino who dropped for the similar reasons.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

That's interesting - do you have any numbers handy? This is definitely a common theme

Bectons number is ZERO.

The entire line, Becton, Fant, McGovern, Van Roten, Lewis had a combined total of 3 flags last year.  THis will be the most disciplined OL we have ever seen as Jets fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcat said:

Add to that you don't know what the hell he told JD in private.  The Jets had not one, but TWO interviews with Becton, in fact he was the only candidate with a pair of interviews.  I just don't know if the 2nd one was post the the reveal of the combine failed weed test.  

Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.  See Dan Marino who dropped for the similar reasons.  

Marino dropped for worse reasons the concern with him was coke.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Becton needing technique work means you play him at RT and let him compete with Edoga. If you pencil him in at LT and he isn't ready then Edoga is the LT and GOD no we can't do that to Sam. 

Play Fant at LT, he's best there it makes far too much sense, lets not overthink it.

May the best 5 lineman start I don’t give a $&@# who or where. Based on what we saw from Chuma, he would have had to have worked like a maniac to be one of those players.

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Becton needing technique work means you play him at RT and let him compete with Edoga. If you pencil him in at LT and he isn't ready then Edoga is the LT and GOD no we can't do that to Sam. 

Play Fant at LT, he's best there it makes far too much sense, lets not overthink it.

that's incorrect.  Fant was signed to be LT this year.  They might move him to RT, where he was very bad in Seattle, or just leave Egoda at RT and have Fant start at LT until Becton is ready to take over..  If they move Fant to RT, that will assure us that Egoda is a total bust.  It should be interesting how it plays out.

Otherwise Fant is just a one-year expensive depth guy.  $12 million guaranteed $10 of it this year.  When they cut him in January, it will be a $2 million dead cap hit.

Edited by dcat

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects No. 11 overall pick Mekhi Becton to start at left tackle.

That's not all that surprising, but the Jets have a ton of options after adding several linemen this offseason. Cimini sees the line shaking out as Becton at left tackle, LG Alex Lewis, C Connor McGovern, RG Greg Van Roten, and RT George Fant. That's four new starters, with Lewis the only holdover from last season. In this scenario, RT Chuma Edoga and RG Brian Winters head to the bench. Winters' roster spot should be shaky, as he's scheduled to collect over $7 million in 2020.

Here is another report our LT is Becton. I think he starts LT day 1 and Fant is RT. Fant is not that good. He had a good stretch of a few games last year but from the Seattle fans they said he will not be missed. 

3 minutes ago, dcat said:

that's incorrect.  Fant was signed to be LT this year.  They might move him to RT, where he was very bad in Seattle, or just leave Egoda at RT and have Fant start at LT until Becton is ready to take over..  If they move Fant to RT, that will assure us that Egoda is a total bust.  It should be interesting how it plays out.

You just agreed with me

3 minutes ago, dcat said:

You just agreed with me

7 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Marino dropped for worse reasons the concern with him was coke.

concern but not positive tests.  Becton will be fine in this regard.  Some people are seeing Josh Gordon... hahahaha