3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

Jack Wepfer -  A couple notes on Deguara from a little study + some team-based analysis: -Easy mover -Not a violent blocker, but really effective. For as much as I liked Vitale's upside, he was inconsistent as a blocker, imo.

Ultimately, I have no idea if the Packers were correct with their valuation. It seems likely they could have gotten him later. That said, I think Deguara really is an essential piece for how LaFleur wants to run his offense.

You can't make everything look the same if your personnel is predictable as hell, or you have serious flaws with your personnel (see: Graham, Jimmy & blocking). Shanahan went out and spent bags of cash on Juszczyk and McKinnon in Year 1. This is GB's version of that.

The Pats jumped over a bunch of teams in a trade up to take Asiasi. Most mocked him in rounds 5-7 to teams. Hunter Bryant, a guy in most top 5's at the TE position was an UDFA. Cole Kmet was just about everyone's #1 TE, outside of that it was total crapshoot. There's no way anyone can say with certainty that Deguara was a guy we could get later. Teams took "their guy" starting in rd 3. We got ours. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Pats jumped over a bunch of teams in a trade up to take Asiasi. Most mocked him in rounds 5-7 to teams. Hunter Bryant, a guy in most top 5's at the TE position was an UDFA. Cole Kmet was just about everyone's #1 TE, outside of that it was total crapshoot. There's no way anyone can say with certainty that Deguara was a guy we could get later. Teams took "their guy" starting in rd 3. We got ours. 

Agreed. You can go bleary eyed reading all these "experts" who apparently only see one way a team can address its perceived needs. I remain convinced that going after Love (and losing our #4 in the process) affected our 2-3 round selections.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's fine to say you can't complain about the 4th RP in the trade up. Even if I don't agree with the Love pick - using a 4th didn't bother me, but it sure did have an impact.

Agree. They want/wanted Love. NOW. They felt they had a shot at a (perceived) top 1st round draft pick they might not be around to get their hands on later - without tanking.

So...okay...do it.

They're staking a claim. Putting their talent eval skills to use and on the line - and putting AR on notice his game needs to improve.

I can get behind that.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Degaura is actually one of my favorite picks in our draft. In terms of immediate impact, I think you're looking at a guy who will basically be a starter in this offense in the FB/HB/TE2(in line) role. 

Agree with this too. Tonyan better up his game as well. Lewis isnt long term with the team - but I think his OT/OL skills will keep him around. Tonyan's the one whose snaps might be endangered.

6 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

If we didnt take him where we did I believe the Pat's would have a couple picks later instead of dalton keen.

Heh heh...I guess Bill was a little salty after the draft, saying that the draft hadn't gone the way it did for them by design. There's a possibility that we outmaneuvered them for Love and  Deguara.

I am as guilty as any one for playing the angry fool during the draft, but to me that is just indulging in the self-entertainment of feigned outrage. Look, you can't get on the Packers for "reaching" when they calculate the possibility that the player they want might be selected thirty picks from where they sit. This year it really seemed like they wanted who they wanted with an uncharacteristically narrow focus. Sorry Bill.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with this too. Tonyan better up his game as well. Lewis isnt long term with the team - but I think his OT/OL skills will keep him around. Tonyan's the one whose snaps might be endangered.

Frankly, I think Tonyan will be fighting Baylis for his job. Baylis flashed last year during the preseason and we called him up a few times. Have to figure we'll keep Stern, Degaura (as HB/TE), Lewis and probably one of Tonyan/Baylis. 

Make or break year for Tonyan. There's been a lot of talk about him, but little results. 

12 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

...Combine him with Sternberger if the also turns out, and you have a nice collection of guys that you can win in the run game against DBs and win in the pass game against LBers. I think he could accumulate a surprising number of targets if he continually draws guys who struggle in coverage on 1st-2nd down.

That's a nice perspective, MrBob.  

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

CWood, could you change the title and spell Deguara correctly? My OCD is not compatible with these things.

Son of a...

I spelled his name in Madden based on this and now the entire thing feels tainted.

8 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Heh heh...I guess Bill was a little salty after the draft, saying that the draft hadn't gone the way it did for them by design. There's a possibility that we outmaneuvered them for Love and  Deguara.

oh come on. If Bill wanted either, he had plenty of draft capital to make it happen. He has to retool that defense which is job #1 after losing so many to FA. He knows it's at least a 2 year project to get both sides of the ball back to where they relatively were in 2018.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hmmmm....I never knew that Kelce came from Cincinnati University as well.

Oh yeah, I was HUGE on him coming out and royally pissed we didn't draft him. He had some off-the-field issues, which pushed him down the board that year.

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I thought Bryant was ridiculously overrated whereas Asiasi was underrated. He'll have a specific role in McDaniels' offense where he'll carve out a niche a la James White.