The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Consider yards per carry, but not yards after contact or the amount of yards blocked for before contact. Okay...

Do you think Jacobs was good value in the 1st round?  Also do you think we should resign him and if so for how much?  

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Patriots gave Damien Harris the majority of their carries until he got hurt and then it was a 60/40 split with Stevenson. But a big reason for that was because Stevenson provides value as a receiver and Harris doesn't. Jacobs showed last season that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and be a 3 down back. 

I'd guess something like 250 carries/1,100 yards/10 TD + 35 receptions/300 yards/1 TD.

So you have him having a great year for him.

Beating his career average in Carries, Yards, YPC, Rushing TDs, Receptions, Reception yards, yards per reception and receiving TDS.

I just do not have that same faith, I think best case we see lower usage, but higher YPC numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you think Jacobs was good value in the 1st round?  Also do you think we should resign him and if so for how much?  

I wouldn't hate bringing him back, with the understanding he's best utilized as a committee RB2. 

I'd offer him 5/yr on a 2 year deal with various incentives. At age 26, if he proves more valuable with a better team around him, talk an extension for something more like 3-4 years at 6-7m per, with some wiggle room depending on just how much he shows. 

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I said none of this. We are cap strapped so I don't think we can, but I think he's one of the better players in his class for sure, especially looking at a lot of the busts that year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I said none of this. We are cap strapped so I don't think we can, but I think he's one of the better players in his class for sure, especially looking at a lot of the busts that year.

Unless the RB is elite I have always had the philosophy of turn em' and burn em'.  Get them while they're on a cheap contract, run them into the ground and move on.  

Unless Jacobs wants to sign for 5M or below per season then I say we move on as Jacobs is an average to slightly above average back.  His lack of break away speed is his biggest knock. 

Every year there are a ton of busts.  i can name 10 players who were taken after Jacobs that would have provided much better value including the player I wanted with one of our 4 early picks that year and that was AJ Brown.  

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

His last two season he has averaged 3.95YPC.  That is not good value in the 1st round no matter how you try to spin it. 3.95 YPC over the last two years can be had much later in the draft....

Watch film for once and tell me that Mixon is not a better back than Jacobs.  Mixon is more explosive and has better hands, those are facts.  Mixon is a true three down back who has been plagued by poor QB play and stacked boxes.  With Burrow, the triplets they have at WR, Mixon will continue to have big season just like he did last year.  Mixon will have another big season barring injury to key players.  

Are you advocating that we pay Jacobs after this season and if so how much would he be worth paying according to you?  You're arguing that he was good value and you clearly have him ranked amongst the best backs in the league according to the stats you've vomited all over everyone.  According to the players you have him ranked up there with (Henry, Cooks, Zeke) you must be advocating that he should be making at least 12 per year going forward.  Is that what you're saying? 

It's hilarious that you mention cherry picking stats when you're literally lumping the last two seasons together to bring down his YPC number. He has averaged 4.8, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.2 ypc for his career. Mixon has averaged 3.5, 4.9, 4.1, 3.6, 4.1 and 4.1 for his career. 

Last season Jacobs had 271 touches/1,220 yards/4.5 yards per touch. Joe Mixon had 334 touches/1,519 yards/4.5 yards per touch. So on a per touch basis they had identical numbers, Mixon just had significantly more touches and played in a much better offense. 

Mixon is the 7th highest paid RB in the league at $12M APY yet his production and efficiency per touch are basically identical to Jacobs who you paint to be a bad player. 

Where did I ever once say anything about extending or paying Jacobs? The only thing I've done is rebute that he wasn't worth a late 1st round pick when he has been one of the most productive RB's in the league despite a bad OL, terrible play calling, and Carr fading late in every season he has been here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Going back to 2000 there are probably only like 4, maybe 5 guys we've picked in the 1st round that have provided more value/production for us than Jacobs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The level of absolute denial regarding Jacobs is proof that the Grudock years she'll shocked many fans.

Some folks think he's getting 7m a year 😂

If Jacobs is so bad can you please explain to me why only a handful of RB's have been more productive?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BakeSpeaks said:

Beating his career average in Carries, Yards, YPC, Rushing TDs, Receptions, Reception yards, yards per reception and receiving TDS.

I just do not have that same faith, I think best case we see lower usage, but higher YPC numbers.

For his career Jacobs has averaged 17 carries and 2.5 receptions per game, over the course of a 17 game season that's 290 carries and 41 receptions. Both Patriots RB's averaged 4.6 YPC last season and I wouldn't call either guy elite by any stretch. His YPC for his career is 4.2, I have him at 4.4, not significantly different if you expect McDaniels to live up to the hire. He had 54 receptions last year and 33 the season before that, lol. 

Rushing TD's should increase as well as McDaniels is one of the best play callers in the red zone in the NFL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's unreal how much hate he gets from our fanbase, lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's hilarious that you mention cherry picking stats when you're literally lumping the last two seasons together to bring down his YPC number. He has averaged 4.8, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.2 ypc for his career. Mixon has averaged 3.5, 4.9, 4.1, 3.6, 4.1 and 4.1 for his career. 

Last season Jacobs had 271 touches/1,220 yards/4.5 yards per touch. Joe Mixon had 334 touches/1,519 yards/4.5 yards per touch. So on a per touch basis they had identical numbers, Mixon just had significantly more touches and played in a much better offense. 

Mixon is the 7th highest paid RB in the league at $12M APY yet his production and efficiency per touch are basically identical to Jacobs who you paint to be a bad player. 

Where did I ever once say anything about extending or paying Jacobs? The only thing I've done is rebute that he wasn't worth a late 1st round pick when he has been one of the most productive RB's in the league despite a bad OL, terrible play calling, and Carr fading late in every season he has been here.

If Jacobs were to hit the FA market how much do you think he would command?  

12M is a bit steep for Mixon who I consider one of the best RB's in the NFL.  There are very few RB's I would give 10M to but Mixon is on that list with his 1500 Yards/16 TD's compared to 1200/Jacobs 9.  He should have another monster season.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

14 hours ago, BakeSpeaks said:

This is exactly how I see it. I feel we'll rotate the backs more, 'horses for courses' so sone weeks Jacobs will thrive but others we'll focus on receiving backs, he should be efficient but with less bulk stats I think.

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If Jacobs is so bad can you please explain to me why only a handful of RB's have been more productive?

Can you explain why Jacobs, who you claim is amongst the best backs in the NFL and is still only 24, just had his 5th year option declined? 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Can you explain why Jacobs, who you claim is amongst the best backs in the NFL and is still only 24, just had his 5th year option declined? 

Ahh, the ol answer a question with a question.  Well played, sir.  You and my wife have a lot in common.  😂😂😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Totty said:

Ahh, the ol answer a question with a question.  Well played, sir.  You and my wife have a lot in common.  😂😂😂

😂😂😂 Well he mentioned Jacobs being on par with Henry, Zeke, Cook etc.  Those types of players don't get their 5th year options declined or hit FA when they are 24 years old and still in their prime years.  

If Jacobs is truly amongst the eilte backs in the NFL like @NYRaiderclaims then he must be suggesting that he thinks JM and Ziegler are incompetent.  Would an NFL GM decline a 5th year option an "elite" RB still in the heart of their prime that are on par with Cook, Zeke and Henry?  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz