Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Does the full amount still count against the cap? Even when a player is IR? Also if so could we not do an injury settlement and clear the 11?

Yes the full amount of his cap counts on the cap. Only way we would save any cap cost is if he had weekly active game bonuses (which we do on a lot of deals- but only account for 250-500k of a players yearly compensation).... but he didn’t have that.  Even then I wanna say it becomes a credit on next years cap not immediately on this years.

what will happen is first day of next years league year he will have to take a physical....

if he fails he’s given an injury waiver, like Nick Nelson got.  It’s what happened to Marquel Lee and Cory James and many others over the years.

if he passes we just release him outright

either way it’s the same result

either way he’s off the books 100% for 11.6M (11.5m salary and .1m workout bonus)..... maybe we really like him and he settles for a very low salary with injury protection.... like 3M plus big incentives, which would be deemed unlikely to achieve, and not count towards the ‘21 cap.  But that’s unlikely.  We’ll just wanna move on prolly.  I doubt there’s much of a market for him after waived.  2 years of being injured and ineffective outside of first 5 games.... the caps dropping drastically and there will be a good FA and draft class of WRs

Edited by jimkelly02

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

and that’s also the end of Tyrell Williams as a Raiders.  Add WR to the list of needs in ‘21.

Meh. I think it just depends on how Bryan Edwards and Henry Ruggs look this season. I highly doubt that Williams was going to be back next year regardless because of his $11M salary. If the rookies are as good as advertised and Renfrow plays well we'll have three young high caliber starting WR. Do you really need to invest a high draft pick into a guy that's likely WR4 behind 3 other young guys? You can find cheap depth and we'll likely be able to bring back Zay and/or Nelly on a cheap deal if we want. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. I think it just depends on how Bryan Edwards and Henry Ruggs look this season. I highly doubt that Williams was going to be back next year regardless because of his $11M salary. If the rookies are as good as advertised and Renfrow plays well we'll have three young high caliber starting WR. Do you really need to invest a high draft pick into a guy that's likely WR4 behind 3 other young guys? You can find cheap depth and we'll likely be able to bring back Zay and/or Nelly on a cheap deal if we want. 

As I said before the injury.... you invest a 3rd maybe 2nd round pick on a WR .... IF you get a real value.... just like we spent a 3rd on Edwards this year.  I’d also add you only do it IF... the WR adds a new dynamic to the offense. Your the first to claim “we don’t know Player X (Crosby specifically) is really gonna be what we think and be a long term starter”.  That said even if Edwards gets 45 catches/550-585yds/4-5TD there’s still a need for a 3rd outside WR.  If Crosby’s 10 sack rookie year has you still advocating Nassib’s signing was justify I find it hypocritical as heck (not challenging your character as a man... solely your opinions) to think Edwards and Ruggs has us set at WR because of a few nice grabs in TC and zero real games.

Renfrow is a slot only WR.  Ideally a team has 3 quality Z+X WRs.  Luckily Ruggs and Edwards have a little more utility.  Ideally you fill the role thru a value FA signing in ‘21.  If you can’t land a true WR1 like Juju, Allen Robinson, or Golliday (who prolly doesn’t hit the market) then you look for a value signing like Corey Davis.  It sounds crazy but I’d even consider signing John Ross, even Will Fuller, if he stays somewhat healthy cuz the idea of two 4.2 WRs is petrifying.

The problem I see possibly happening is Jones and/or Agholor don’t play great but play well enough and enough snaps to get offers high enough it’s not worth bringing back.

The roster is always in flux no matter how dead anyone thinks we are at any position.  You should always be looking to draft for value.  ‘21 should have a nice WR class.    

its a passing league you need as many dynamic WRs as you can get.  Look at KC.  That’s the model.  You can always fill G, TE, DT, LB, S with “value” FAs... you might it get great production but you get by.  But WR is only behind QB and LT in the regard that in order to “win” you need talent.  Look only to our team last year to see what happens when WRs can’t get separation: CBs come up and take away short passes as they don’t fear deep passes;  S’s move into the box; the run game becomes ineffective; etc etc..... the offense becomes a wounded animal and the defense senses it.  You can bring in a G, LB, S off the street if you have an injury mid year and get by... but with WRs it rarely works.... having depth there is very important.

I thought the roster was finally going to have some serious stability this year to next but it’s quickly become apparent that we have a nice little core but we are going to again have some major turnover next year.

59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I hope the hype is real.  I hope he has 80 receptions and 15 TDs.  I hope.

the next McLaurin?? I see defenses putting their best corner on Ruggs. If Edwards is able to destroy starting CBs is the question??  Preston Williams, DK,  AJ Brown, McLaurin were so good last year, and weren't first round picks...I'm wondering if I should drop Armstead of Bryan Edwards in fantasy....  man  I need help

Really excited to see Edwards. When he was drafted I thought 2021 was when we would see him make an impact. Gruden needs to be patient with both Ruggs and Edwards. They will make mistakes and they will not run the routes as they should, but both are rookies that you have to let them go through the growing pains when they comes. 

But this is a chance for Gruden to totally redo his reputation. Has always been a coach who loves his veteran players to go with two rookies at WR will be a big change for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

the next McLaurin?? I see defenses putting their best corner on Ruggs. If Edwards is able to destroy starting CBs is the question??  Preston Williams, DK,  AJ Brown, McLaurin were so good last year, and weren't first round picks...I'm wondering if I should drop Armstead of Bryan Edwards in fantasy....  man  I need help

I would definitely consider stashing Bryan Edwards on the bench if you can afford it.  I play with one defense and swap out during their bye week.  I always go deep on WR and RB on my bench hoping they pan out.  Best of luck with your fantasy league!