Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Based on how the second half went for Keenum, might he be cooling off already? Should we be concerned? 

I'd like to see the Vikes play the best roster they can against the Rams, can't afford turning the ball over against an offense this potent.

Best roster (at the moment) includes Case, so I agree. Case is completely on the same page with Adam and Stephan and Pat.

ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo

Case Keenum is the first Vikings player with 4 Pass TD in a game since Teddy Bridgewater in 2015. The last VIkings quarterback with 4 Pass TD on the road was Brett Favre, who did it in 2009, in his first game back at Lambeau FIeld as a visitor.

So, I asked Keenum, what was it like for you all week knowing that everyone in Minnesota, and many other places, want to see the Bridgewater return happen theatrically … and very soon.

“I have been preparing for this situation the whole year,” Keenum said. “I didn’t do an interview last year in L.A. without being asked about [rookie first-round pick] Jared Goff. So I get it. I am a huge Teddy fan. First, he’s just a beautiful thrower. I’ve got tremendous respect for him. He’s an instrumental part of our quarterback room, and all he’s been is helpful. A great teammate. I have had a serious knee injury. I know what he’s going through. But mostly, I’m able to compartmentalize it. I just figure, hey, it’s like I’ve got a buddy who owns a Ferrari, and he’s out of town, and he’s letting me drive it. So as long as they leave me the keys, I’m gonna keep driving this car.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/12/case-keenum-minnesota-vikings-washington-redskins-teddy-bridgewater-mmqb

This is Case Keenum's team right now.   There's no way we bench him at this point of the season with where we are at.    He has too much chemistry with his receivers and O line right now to pull him and go with a big question mark back there.   Unless he does a complete 180 with his gameplay over the next few games.   You leave him in there, your coach comes out and says that you are the top dog right now and won't be operating on a short leash.  

8 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

This is Case Keenum's team right now.   There's no way we bench him at this point of the season with where we are at.    He has too much chemistry with his receivers and O line right now to pull him and go with a big question mark back there.   Unless he does a complete 180 with his gameplay over the next few games.   You leave him in there, your coach comes out and says that you are the top dog right now and won't be operating on a short leash.  

Keenum hasn't proven himself over the long term to not have a short leash. It's just life as a backup QB. 

I still think it's Teddy's team based on the history the guy has here, Keenum is doing well in his role though.

Quarterback Case Keenum is enjoying the best year of his career. Operating on a one-year, $2 million deal, Keenum will have plenty of options for 2018. He hopes to stay right where he is, however.

Keenum:  “I love it here. I love these guys. My wife and I love it here.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/12/case-keenum-wants-to-stay-with-vikings/

23 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Fine by me. Perfect backup QB really. Might be pricey. Will see if the desire to start outweighs his love for MN because I doubt yes viewed as a long term option or even a starter if Teddy returns.

Keenum is another Brian Hoyer. He’s a high end backup who might be able to get a starting opportunity for a bottom tier team, but he’s also likely to see that team draft a quarterback who’ll eventually replace him. 

Money wise, he’s likely going to get the same amount as a high end backup, or low end starter. But a backup contract would likely be for more years and better job security. 

43 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Confirmed he will be back next year

And, not a word of complaint that he is getting paid only 2.5 million to play this year.  Wonder what it would take to bring back both he and Teddy next year?  Is Teddy going to accept a performance-laden contract that protects the team from injury?

20 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

And, not a word of complaint that he is getting paid only 2.5 million to play this year.  Wonder what it would take to bring back both he and Teddy next year?  Is Teddy going to accept a performance-laden contract that protects the team from injury?

Why would he complain? $2.5M is on the higher end for backup QB. 

Archived