Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why is that so unlikely?

i mean. if Keenum plays lights out for the rest of the season, then yes, someone will want to sign him as a starter. but the more likely scenario is that he will have some stinker or mediocre games too, making teams wary. his best offer next year  might very well come from us.

I'm not saying it's unlikely to happen at the end of the year, I'm saying that I would prefer that they just do it now, so at least that portion would be settled.  

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What would be the incentive for Keenum to sign an extension? 

He’s all but guaranteed to get a top backup level contract, but if he continues to play well, he might find someone willing to give him a shot at starting. 

That's also why it's unlikely...there is no incentive for him to do so at this point.  

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was asked to name the No. 1 trait he thinks a backup quarterback must have to succeed.

Rodgers: “I think it’s confidence. You need to be able to step in the huddle and have guys believe in you. I’ve been around Case. I really enjoy him. He’s one of my favorite guys we had in the workout group we had for a while when he was in L.A. He’s done a really good job for them and he exudes that confidence I was talking about. When he gets in there, they’re really not missing a beat as far as tempo and what they’re trying to do.”

http://www.startribune.com/the-recruitment-of-case-keenum-how-the-vikings-keenum-partnership-materialized/450920953/

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

He needs to get us through Baltimore and Cleveland. After that  hopefully Teddy is under center. I’ve been very pleased with Keenum as a backup. 

That would be a reasonable time line. Keenum has been okay but it might take some time for Teddy to get to Keenums level. He hasn't played in awhile.

Teddy hasn't had full practice, but we know he has been working out and throwing balls for a while, and you know he has been watching just as much film as ever. Just a matter of taking some hits, getting his confidence back, and picking up some chemistry with the rest of the team.

22 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Teddy hasn't had full practice, but we know he has been working out and throwing balls for a while, and you know he has been watching just as much film as ever. Just a matter of taking some hits, getting his confidence back, and picking up some chemistry with the rest of the team.

That won't be happening in practice....

Just now, Klomp said:

That won't be happening in practice....

I guess not, but if I was a coach I'd want him smacked around a little before going into a full speed game. Both so he gets used to it again and isn't scared going out there, and to make sure he can actually hold up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Something that hasn't really been discussed that we've seen, especially this week:

17 yards on 3rd and 15
22 yards on 3rd and 11
16 yards on 3rd and 10

Also drew a 12-yard PI on 3rd and 8.

That's three long third down conversions, none of them by checking down.

6 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Something that hasn't really been discussed that we've seen, especially this week:

17 yards on 3rd and 15
22 yards on 3rd and 11
16 yards on 3rd and 10

This definitely is an underrated part of Keenums game. Call it Moxy, being ballsy, luck, or whatever you want, but he isn't a checkdown guy, and after what we've had in some way with Teddy, and definitely with Bradford, it's been a breath of fresh air.

34 minutes ago, Klomp said:

17 yards on 3rd and 15
22 yards on 3rd and 11
16 yards on 3rd and 10

is it Shurmur vs Norv Turner?

Archived