Vikings by the Numbers

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I didn't know who Scott Sisson was, so i looked him up. field goal kicker. played in the NFL for two seasons. in 1993 and 1996.

whaat?

I don't know why, but I vaguely remember the name.  And yes, as @Virginia Viking said, there really is only 1 option, Tommy Kramer.  But, I wish there was, I was never a fan of the guy.  

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know why, but I vaguely remember the name.  And yes, as @Virginia Viking said, there really is only 1 option, Tommy Kramer.  But, I wish there was, I was never a fan of the guy.  

He was talented, but I never felt he was totally committed to football.  Of course, having a well documented problem with alcohol never helped.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

He was talented, but I never felt he was totally committed to football.  Of course, having a well documented problem with alcohol never helped.

And I swear that he lost more yards getting sacked (because he'd run backwards instead of side to side) than any QB I've ever seen in my life.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And I swear that he lost more yards getting sacked (because he'd run backwards instead of side to side) than any QB I've ever seen in my life.

worse than russell wilson? he usually escapes when he does his loop back around move but when he gets caught he loses like 20 yards.

8 minutes ago, whitehops said:

worse than russell wilson? he usually escapes when he does his loop back around move but when he gets caught he loses like 20 yards.

Yes, lord knows how often I remember how a sack that should have made it just 3rd and 16, he managed to make it 3rd and 26.  And Kramer was nowhere even as athletic as Wilson is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Yes, lord knows how often I remember how a sack that should have made it just 3rd and 16, he managed to make it 3rd and 26.  And Kramer was nowhere even as athletic as Wilson is. 

haha that would be maddening to watch.

Vikings that have worn the number 10:

• Fran Tarkenton (1961 - 1966, 1972 - 1978)
  • King Hill (1968)

I see this number has already been "previewed" in this thread.  King Hill was the 1st player picked in the 1958 NFL draft going to the Chicago Cardinals.  While not being known as a great player, he spent 35 years in the NFL as a player, coach, scout and assistant GM.  As a player, he was vice-president of the players union.  His greatest contribution to the game will be as a scout.  He scouted Earl Campbell in High School, and was responsible for him being drafted by the Houston Oilers.  Many of the players he scouted and drafted have wound up as MVP's, Champions, and Hall of Famers.  Despite this stellar record, the only choice here for the best number 10 in Vikings history is Fran Tarkenton.  He is, and will be for a long time, the greatest QB in Viking history.  When another QB takes the Vikings to 3 Super Bowls in 5 seasons, he can enter the discussion.

Vikings that have worn the number 11:

This number MIGHT be worthy of debate.  This has been the number for some important quarterbacks in Viking history.  Joe Kapp was Bud Grant's choice to lead the team when he took over the reigns in 1967.  Kapp couldn't throw a spiral to save his neck.  He wasn't a terrific athletic quarterback.  He more than made up for these deficits by being tough and a great leader.  He's the reason I became a Minnesota Vikings fan.  His will to win was off the charts.  He led the Vikings to the 1969 NFL Championship and to their first Super Bowl appearance.  Wade Wilson was a journeyman quarterback his whole career, who found a home in Minnesota for 10 years.  He made the most of his time as a starter, taking the Vikings to the playoffs in 1987 and winning handedly against the heavily favored New Orleans Saints in the Wildcard, and the Joe Montana led San Francisco 49'ers, and losing a nail biter in the NFC Championship game against Washington.  When Daunte Culpepper came along in 2000, the Vikings thought they had a franchise quarterback.  He had an up and down career with the Vikings, but those "up" years were pretty magical.  The offense with Carter, Moss, Reed and Smith seemed to be unstoppable...except when they stopped themselves.  Culpepper was big and strong and seemed indestructible...that is until he blew out his knee, which he never really recovered (right Dolphins fans?)

I am going to give my nod to Kapp...based on the fact that he would do anything, including sacrificing himself, for the good of the team and a win at the end of the day.  I wish Kirk Cousins had little bit of Joe Kapp in him!

Kapp wins by default since he was the only one to take them to the Super Bowl.  As far as the others, I always did like Wilson, especially better than Tommy, but he certainly wasn't stellar by any imagination.  Daunte had the physical skills to be a dominant QB, but was lacking in far too many others to ever be more than inconsistent...fumbled the ball far too easily and still couldn't read a defense any better in Year 7 than he could in Year 1.  

Man, I had such high hopes for Jason Carter (and Jaymar as well).  He was one of the first guys which I touted around here as an up-and-comer.  Oh, well.