What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Yes, I can read PFR and PFF too. Alex Smith, Case Keenum, Brian Hoyer, Carson Palmer are some of the names that join him at the top of some of these statistics as well, but I don't think we're rushing to put their names with Tom Brady.

Do they also join him as #1 in YPA, #3 in passer rating, and QBing the #1 scoring offense in the NFL? Of course, nobody rushed to put his name in with Brady. The point was that he's been far more than serviceable through the first three games (against arguably weak competition). If you can't admit that, you're simply not worth the discussion.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Do they also join him as #1 in YPA, #3 in passer rating, and QBing the #1 scoring offense in the NFL? Of course, nobody rushed to put his name in with Brady. The point was that he's been far more than serviceable through the first three games (against arguably weak competition). If you can't admit that, you're simply not worth the discussion.

I think the biggest issue here is we have a different definition of serviceable. It's not surprising, given everyone's overuse of words like elite and great. A serviceable QB is a QB(to me, at least) who is good enough to help you win games so long as you have a piece or two around him. That's what Goff has been this season. Rams have put a better o-line in front of him, gotten him some solid weapons, and they've won two football games thanks to that and his improvement under McVay.

I had this exact same(well, similar I guess) argument with Raider fans in the off-season about Derek Carr. They got offended because I wouldn't use the word elite when talking about him, instead calling him a good quarterback. Like that's some kind of offensive statement. I guess it is with how the media treats the QBs these days.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I think the biggest issue here is we have a different definition of serviceable. It's not surprising, given everyone's overuse of words like elite and great. A serviceable QB is a QB(to me, at least) who is good enough to help you win games so long as you have a piece or two around him. That's what Goff has been this season. Rams have put a better o-line in front of him, gotten him some solid weapons, and they've won two football games thanks to that and his improvement under McVay.

I had this exact same(well, similar I guess) argument with Raider fans in the off-season about Derek Carr. They got offended because I wouldn't use the word elite when talking about him, instead calling him a good quarterback. Like that's some kind of offensive statement. I guess it is with how the media treats the QBs these days.

I'm not looking for anyone to call him elite, but serviceable means adequate. He's been more than that through the first three games. I don't know what he'll be after 16 games this year, but he's been more than serviceable thus far.

You're basically arguing that any QB who isn't elite or terrible is serviceable. That's an overly broad definition. But whatever. I'm not interested in a debate over semantics.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm not looking for anyone to call him elite, but serviceable means adequate. He's been more than that through the first three games. I don't know what he'll be after 16 games this year, but he's been more than serviceable thus far.

You're basically arguing that any QB who isn't elite or terrible is serviceable. That's an overly broad definition. But whatever. I'm not interested in a debate over semantics.

Nah, there's brackets/tiers for me. Elite, great, serviceable(interchangeable with good for me), average, bad, terrible/shouldn't be in the league. But yes, semantics is the issue.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

41 points against a 49ers defense that held the Seahawks and Panthers without a TD is nothing to sneeze at.

Lol @ claiming the 49ers defense held those teams without touchdowns, when in fact, the Seahawks did score a TD (just missed the extra point) and the Panthers scored 2 TDs against them. In fact, the Panthers have only scored 1 TD total since that game

22 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Lol @ claiming the 49ers defense held those teams without touchdowns, when in fact, the Seahawks did score a TD (just missed the extra point) and the Panthers scored 2 TDs against them. In fact, the Panthers have only scored 1 TD total since that game

Whatever, man. 9 points is 9 points.

2 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Does it change the fact that Russell Wilson and the Seahawks could only muster 12 points against that supposedly putrid defense?

I do not know how good Goff can get, but I do know all those doubts due to his rookie year were ridiculous. It usually takes 3 years before a QB can be deemed much of anything. Sure there are exceptions, but that is the general rule for most QB's.

He is clearly showing vast improvement, but it will still take time to evaluate just how good he can become.

Archived