AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

Oh god i love to see the math back up what I just said about other maths lol.

"For the 1st quarter (Figure 2) Titans fans were right to complain, with a whopping 45% of series being run-run-pass (and I can confirm, usually punt), far above the rest of the league. "

"It was also pretty noticeable that the Colts, Charger, Titans, and Redskins open with a run on about 80% of their 3 down series"

Where is this balance?

Outside of an 8 week stretch in the middle of last year, Mularkey was absolutely bad for Mariota. 2 years in anf he hasn't developed at all. Where did he improve? He didn't fumble last year s9 there's that I guess. Our offenses went through the run, not our star QB, and Mularkey is the reason he wasn't pushed to be better than he is at this point. Maybe we'll get lucky and playing to hsi weaknesses has helped him improve upon those and they will be less apparent as we go on and play to his strengths.

• Like 1

Mark Schlereth is on Denver morning radio and he was asked this morning how much longer he thought Belichick would be coaching the Pats.  His response was "Eight hours" which initially struck me as ridiculous, but if the smoke of a Brady/Belichick/Kraft feud over Garoppolo is really a raging fire, maybe the end is much closer than we think.  Telling Josh he "might" get the HC in a couple years doesn't sound compelling enough for him to light his reputation on fire league-wide.  But accelerating that time table to "You'll be coaching the Pats when next year begins" certainly does.

Food for thought...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Mark Schlereth is on Denver morning radio and he was asked this morning how much longer he thought Belichick would be coaching the Pats.  His response was "Eight hours" which initially struck me as ridiculous, but if the smoke of a Brady/Belichick/Kraft feud over Garoppolo is really a raging fire, maybe the end is much closer than we think.  Telling Josh he "might" get the HC in a couple years doesn't sound compelling enough for him to light his reputation on fire league-wide.  But accelerating that time table to "You'll be coaching the Pats when next year begins" certainly does.

Food for thought...

What could only make this better is that little rat conspiring against The Hoodie. Super Bowl loss + losing Belichick  would be a tough pill to swallow.

4 hours ago, titanrick said:

Food for thought...

I tend to lean towards what Schlereth said. I don't think it will happen before next season, but I did hear Evans mention Belicheck's contract is up after the 2018 season so maybe it's for after next year?

What are your thoughts about the guys on 104.3, @titanrick? I enjoy listening to most of them but feel like I am in the minority in that regard lol.

4 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

What are your thoughts about the guys on 104.3, @titanrick? I enjoy listening to most of them but feel like I am in the minority in that regard lol.

I find them amusing.  Listening to sports talk radio in general has created an intense dislike of the Broncos but mostly because their fans (the callers) are so ridiculous.  "No organization is like the Broncos.  We value integrity above all else.  We don't settle for anything less than Super Bowl wins.  Trevor Siemien is a top five QB in this league (two weeks later) Trevor Siemien is garbage - replace him immediately!"  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Makes me nauseated.  I'm sure all fanbases have this segment in them but I listen to it daily and it annoys me.

I always get a chuckle out of Big Al.  I know he's heated and has no intelligent argument when he just starts repeating himself but emphasizing different words in the sentence. 

Al: "Paxton Lynch is not getting released next year."
D-Mac: "I'm not so sure.  I think he's gone."
D-Mac: "What are your reasons for saying  that?"
D-Mac: "I hear you.  Why?  How can you say that definitively?"
Al: "Paxton Lynch is NOT getting released next year.  Paxton Lynch IS NOT getting released next year."

It's amazing how often he resorts to this.

7 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I find them amusing.  Listening to sports talk radio in general has created an intense dislike of the Broncos but mostly because their fans (the callers) are so ridiculous.  "No organization is like the Broncos.  We value integrity above all else.  We don't settle for anything less than Super Bowl wins.  Trevor Siemien is a top five QB in this league (two weeks later) Trevor Siemien is garbage - replace him immediately!"  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Makes me nauseated.  I'm sure all fanbases have this segment in them but I listen to it daily and it annoys me.

I always get a chuckle out of Big Al.  I know he's heated and has no intelligent argument when he just starts repeating himself but emphasizing different words in the sentence. 

D-Mac: "I'm not so sure.  I think he's gone."
D-Mac: "What are your reasons for saying  that?"
D-Mac: "I hear you.  Why?  How can you say that definitively?"
Al: "Paxton Lynch is NOT getting released next year.  Paxton Lynch IS NOT getting released next year."

It's amazing how often he resorts to this.

Yeah, the fan base is crazy out here and while it's usually comical with some of the calls, it can get annoying. Sandy and Cecil I think are my least favorite, but the rest of them I like for the most part. D-Mac can be a bit of an arse, but with some of the calls they get I cant blame him. And you are spot on with Big Al (I was cracking up during that exchange you quoted). I typically enjoy Schlereth and Stokely's insight. My only issue with any of them is that they all seem afraid to put too much of where the Broncos currently are on Elway. 

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Here's a reddit on how predictable our offense was this past season.

Somewhat lengthy.

Were are his sources?  You're essentially citing an uncited source?  What's to stop me from posting random stats on reddit or any other type of social media.

Running a quick check of stats tells me those figures aren't correct.

Just looking at Mariota, Cassel, Henry, and Murray's splits I find the following:

On 1st down, we threw 51% of the time (that's pretty damn even, and the opposite of one dimensional)

On 2nd down, it went down to 50% (again, the figure is down the middle, the opposite of one dimensional)

On 3rd, it went 84% passes.

By comparison... using the Rams since that's where our new OC is coming from... 

On 1st down they threw the ball 46% of the time (5% less than we did)

On 2nd they threw it 55% of the time (5% more than we did)

On 3rd they threw it 78% of the time.  

I'm sure we'll find similar splits with most teams... Dolphins stats heavier on the passing obviously since they had the pass heaviest offense in the league, etc.  

If we ran the ball 49% of the time on 1st, that means that we would have thrown about 85% of the time the following down to get to the 45% run, run, pass figure he arrived at.  That's just not very likely.  45% sounds like a figure he made up to reinforce his opinion that we in fact ran run, run, pass about half of our drives on the season.  

Edit:

I also find it hard to believe that we "led" the NFL in run, run, pass series when the Jags ran the ball 58% of the time on 1st and 49% of the time on 2nd.  With them running it 6 out of 10 times on first, and the same 5 out of 10 times on 2nd... as opposed to us running it 5 times out of 10 on 1st and 5 out of 10 times on 2nd... that's just simple deductive math/logic.  

Edited by ragevsuall17

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

On first down, in the first quarter, in a series where we didn't convert on first and second down, and didn't start inside the 10 yard line.

Not saying his sources are reliable, but those were the situational numbers he was citing.

Lol... yeah, I'm not digging that deep.  We all have opinions and we'll quickly believe anything that backs that up... a lot of times without confirming it... and this definitely extends to most aspects of our lives, not just Titans' football. 

But again, looking at a simple split shows Mariota attempted 225 passes in the 1st half and 223 passes in the 2nd half.  He did play one extra first half than 2nd (1st Texans game) so he does throw more in the 2nd half on average... but not by any considerable margin.  

It doesn't take rocket science to understand Robiskie's offense was archaic.  I haven't seen a single person denying that.  We all saw that.  I just don't believe in making up stats... to back up incorrect statements we believe to be true.  Perception is reality... even if its wrong. 

But running the ball at a 45% clip isn't an anomaly or a bad thing.  I cited the Rams stats (and Falcons earlier) cuz that's a good indicator of what we'll probably be running this year.  Updated schemes, some more RPO's, etc... but a similar split  of run/pass plays.  But it's not a bad thing... and actually showed to be a pretty decent recipe for "success" this year as evidenced by 6 of the 7 lowest percentage-d passing teams making the playoffs (Jags, Bills, Panthers, Titans,Vikings, and Rams... with the Cowboys being the only exception).  By contrast, you have the Dolphins, Lions, Bucs, Giants, and Browns as the 5 highest percentage-d passing teams.  

9 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Lol... yeah, I'm not digging that deep.  We all have opinions and we'll quickly believe anything that backs that up... a lot of times without confirming it... and this definitely extends to most aspects of our lives, not just Titans' football. 

But again, looking at a simple split shows Mariota attempted 225 passes in the 1st half and 223 passes in the 2nd half.  He did play one extra first half than 2nd (1st Texans game) so he does throw more in the 2nd half on average... but not by any considerable margin.  

It doesn't take rocket science to understand Robiskie's offense was archaic.  I haven't seen a single person denying that.  We all saw that.  I just don't believe in making up stats... to back up incorrect statements we believe to be true.  Perception is reality... even if its wrong. 

But running the ball at a 45% clip isn't an anomaly or a bad thing.  I cited the Rams stats (and Falcons earlier) cuz that's a good indicator of what we'll probably be running this year.  Updated schemes, some more RPO's, etc... but a similar split  of run/pass plays.  But it's not a bad thing... and actually showed to be a pretty decent recipe for "success" this year as evidenced by 6 of the 7 lowest percentage-d passing teams making the playoffs (Jags, Bills, Panthers, Titans,Vikings, and Rams... with the Cowboys being the only exception).  By contrast, you have the Dolphins, Lions, Bucs, Giants, and Browns as the 5 highest percentage-d passing teams.  

To be fair, teams that are consistently losing are going to be passing significantly more and teams with a lead are going to be trying to chew the clock, which falls right in line with what you said.

Id like to see our ratio on first down in the first quarter, second down in the first quarter, first down when leading by quarter, first down when trailing by quarter, etc.. i just don't have the time nor do I care enough to stand by my argument that much lol. It's in the past.

Edited by TitanSS

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Edit: nfl.com's team statistics dont match up with our player statistics. They have use running 30+ more plays on offense than are accounted for in the player statistics... So these numbers are most likely total crap.

Did you count sacks and fumbles as plays?

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Did you count sacks and fumbles as plays?

I was just going off of what nfl.com had listed as total offensive plays, but i finally found that the field goals made when subtracted from the total offensive plays gave me the total of the rushing and passing plays.

Along these same lines, I was listening to local DC radio and they were discussing the play percentages for this year. The Rams ran the fewest plays out of shotgun this year, something around 83% were under center snaps...IIRC. In 16' the Falcons ran the fewest...the common denominator is???...our new OC. Not saying it's bad, just looking like the shotgun will not be the primary formation.