Worst Teams to Make the Super Bowl

Jotun_Fan

On 5/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, jyod21 said:

Since I've been watching: 

'94 Chargers 
'00 Giants 
'03 Panthers 
'08 Cardinals 

'11 Giants and '01 Patriots were also teams that didn't feel very good, but ultimately won anyway. 

94 Chargers are absolutely the team that popped into my head when I read this thread title. I thought for sure the Dolphins were going to wax them in their playoff game. 

On 5/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

As much as I loved this team, the 99 Titans probably have a good case for this. 

They went 13-3 regular season with 2 wins over the 14-2 Jaguars.  Also beat the eventual Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams in the regular season.

That was a great team.  And they followed it up with another dominant season in 2000 where they were arguably the best team in football inspite of the Ravens beating them.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

02 Raiders weren’t much

What?  They were the favorite in the Super Bowl that year and had the regular season MVP.

This is like saying the 2013 Broncos weren't a good team cause they got blown out in the Super Bowl.

The 02 Raiders looked like a juggernaut heading into that Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i'd argue the 2018 saints, chiefs, and rams, all were, and that's just off the top of my head. but that's just my ten cents.

Rams were sexier, but not better

The Pats swept us so no we weren’t better

Saints were good but championships are for teams who get it done in January, and that hasn’t been New Orleans since 2009

On 6/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, Archimedes said:

94 Chargers are absolutely the team that popped into my head when I read this thread title. I thought for sure the Dolphins were going to wax them in their playoff game. 

The ‘94 Chargers weren’t a bad team, but I remember the 49ers being REALLY good. I think they would have waxed anyone in the Super Bowl that year. 

Sometimes pretty good teams are made to look bad by great teams in the Super Bowl, and I firmly believe that nobody gets to the Super Bowl by accident. You have to beat two or three quality teams just to get there, and then you have to play the best team from the other conference. I would have to say that the number of truly unworthy Super Bowl teams is probably quite low.

Edited by rfournier103
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 9:48 AM, lancerman said:

Yes people are kinda of lumping in Giants teams underperforming in the regular season with their quality. 

The 2011 Giants beat the Patriots in the middle of the season. Then the Pats team they played only beat one winning team all season and was off a missed field goal in the AFC title game. There’s a debate whether the Giants were even the worst team in that SB

In 2007 they played a 38-35 game in NY where the Giants were up 28-16 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

6 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

The ‘94 Chargers weren’t a bad team, but I remember the 49ers being REALLY good. I think they would have waxed anyone in the Super Bowl that year. 

Sometimes pretty good teams are made to look bad by great teams in the Super Bowl, and I firmly believe that nobody gets to the Super Bowl by accident. You have to beat two or three quality teams just to get there, and then you have to play the best team from the other conference. I would have to say that the number of truly unworthy Super Bowl teams is probably quite low.

From about 1984 through 1996 the NFCCG was the Super Bowl and the actual game was mostly an afterthought.

There were 2 competitive games in 13 years. The NFC went 13-0

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

07 Giants were a much more inconsistent team compared to their talent level. 

The 07 team was 10-6 and they avenged 4 of those 6 losses in the playoffs.

Here was their schedule:

• 13-3 Cowboys
  • 13-3 Packers
  • 9-7 DC
  • 8-8 Philly
  • 4-12 Jets
  • 4-12 Atlanta
  • 5-11 SF
  • 1-15 Miami
  • Bye
  • 13-3 Dallas
  • 7-9 Detroit
  • 8-8 Vikings
  • 7-9 Bears
  • 8-8 Eagles
  • 9-7 DC
  • 7-9 Bills
  • 16-0 Patriots

They went 4-0 against the bad teams.

They went 0-4 against the 13+ win teams (avenged all these losses when they caught fire in the playoffs)

They went 6-2 against the middle of the pack 

• Yes, this included an awful home game against the Vikings and a bad showing at home vs DC

Their inconsistency is vastly overstated.

42 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I remember "New England, The Patriots, and We"

Which might even be funny to Pats fans now that they have 6 Lombardis.

If you told me in 2013 that the Patriots would go to four of the next five Super Bowls; win three of them; stage an all-time OT comeback; and only lose a barn-burner to the Eagles, I would take that every day of the week. 

Congratulations on winning Super Bowl LVII. Enjoy it. The Eagles deserved it. If that’s the cost of winning XLIX; LI; and LIII (especially LI) - so be it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The 07 team was 10-6 and they avenged 4 of those 6 losses in the playoffs.

Here was their schedule:

• 13-3 Cowboys
  • 13-3 Packers
  • 9-7 DC
  • 8-8 Philly
  • 4-12 Jets
  • 4-12 Atlanta
  • 5-11 SF
  • 1-15 Miami
  • Bye
  • 13-3 Dallas
  • 7-9 Detroit
  • 8-8 Vikings
  • 7-9 Bears
  • 8-8 Eagles
  • 9-7 DC
  • 7-9 Bills
  • 16-0 Patriots

They went 4-0 against the bad teams.

They went 0-4 against the 13+ win teams (avenged all these losses when they caught fire in the playoffs)

They went 6-2 against the middle of the pack 

• Yes, this included an awful home game against the Vikings and a bad showing at home vs DC

Their inconsistency is vastly overstated.

Good points, I think you've changed my mind regarding the 2007 team. Watching them them that season I got the impression they were inconsistent, maybe that was mostly just Eli...23td 20int... And that Minnesota game 4 picks (3 pick sixes!) I think I remember serious doubt about him being the QB of the future after that game in the media. Maybe more of a case of finding their identity late. Eli really played well in that post season, and the Giants looked pretty good to be back in the super bowl the next year before Plax shot himself. Looking back in hindsight after 12 years maybe they were pretty good.

The 2011 team though was not as good. Eli was better, but no run game, defense in the bottom third in the league, negative point differential. I doubt they make the super bowl without the muffed punts in the NFC championship game, or if the saints beat the niners in sf. 

Eli sure as hell giving Hof voters some things to consider.

Edited by Jotun_Fan

As an Eagles fan who lived in Philly (and got WFAN NY coverage on the radio) during most of Eli's career, I absolutely agree.

He was good to win a few games they should have lost and lose a few games they should have won almost every year.

I think he eventually belongs in the HoF on the basis of those 8 playoff games but not as a first ballot guy. I also understand why people disagree.