Worst Teams to Make the Super Bowl

Jotun_Fan

On 5/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, DannyB said:

Yeah I didn't really feel like getting into it, but the Giants WERE the better team in that SB. I think some people kind of carry over the narrative from '07 to '11, as if it was another example of David beating Goliath. The Patriots were flawed that year.

Statistically speaking they were average on defense and Eli was having a career year. Their defense simply came alive in the playoffs and that was the end of it. The 2000 version of the Giants however were a bad team exposed by Ravens.

1994 Chargers have to be the most Cinderella team ever because there is no one on that roster outside of a few defensive stars that would start on other teams. 

2 hours ago, Classic said:

1994 Chargers have to be the most Cinderella team ever because there is no one on that roster outside of a few defensive stars that would start on other teams.

I'm not just gonna sit here while you recklessly disparage Natrone Means like that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nightime said:

The 2018 Pats put up 41 points on the Chargers in the Divisional. 

They were not “dire”. Just another great Patriots team. Yeah, they weren’t the 85 Bears, 92 Cowboys, or 04 Pats, but they were still good enough to beat both LA teams by 2 scores and they are the only team to ever beat Mahomes in the playoffs. 

the chargers who tried to go against tom brady with the same gameplan they beat lamar jackson with as if that wasn't a terrible and stupid idea?

and calling them the "only team to ever beat mahomes in the playoffs", like, he has only played five playoff games. you're smarter than thinking that's a real badge.

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

the chargers who tried to go against tom brady with the same gameplan they beat lamar jackson with as if that wasn't a terrible and stupid idea?

and calling them the "only team to ever beat mahomes in the playoffs", like, he has only played five playoff games. you're smarter than thinking that's a real badge.

It is when no other NFL team has even come close to beating a Mahomes led team in the playoffs. In his 4 wins, the average score has been 37-22

Yeah the Niners were “close” until they found themselves down 31-20 after the dominating 21-0 4th quarter and the announcers started showering Reid with praise with nearly 2 whole minutes left. 

No 2018 team was truly better than New England. 

This is an interesting topic.

There is more to a team than just the W's and the L's in the regular season of the year they got to the Super Bowl.

Its highly debatable that the 1973 Dolphins were better than the 1972 undefeated Dolphins but they had a way easier schedule in 1972.

• Of course this is just a quibble about a team that went to 3 Super Bowls in a row

IMO the 2007 and 2011 Giants don't belong on this list of 'bad teams'

• Their core won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years
    • 17 players including most of both lines, RB, and QB
  • They beat some really talented teams to win those Super Bowls.
    • Tampa 9-7
    • Dallas 12-4
    • Green Bay 14-3
    • New England 18-0
    • Atlanta 10-6
    • Green Bay 15-1
    • SF 14-3
    • New England 15-3
    • That's 5 teams with 14 or more wins that they beat.
    • They also had to win 4 games to win each of those Super Bowls instead of 3.
  • They were 30-18 between those Super Bowls.
  • They went 9-7 the year after the second Super Bowl

As an Eagles fan I would never give NY any credit they did not deserve but those guys turned it on big time... twice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SkippyX said:

This is an interesting topic.

There is more to a team than just the W's and the L's in the regular season of the year they got to the Super Bowl.

Its highly debatable that the 1973 Dolphins were better than the 1972 undefeated Dolphins but they had a way easier schedule in 1972.

• Of course this is just a quibble about a team that went to 3 Super Bowls in a row

IMO the 2007 and 2011 Giants don't belong on this list of 'bad teams'

• Their core won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years
    • 17 players including most of both lines, RB, and QB
  • They beat some really talented teams to win those Super Bowls.
    • Tampa 9-7
    • Dallas 12-4
    • Green Bay 14-3
    • New England 18-0
    • Atlanta 10-6
    • Green Bay 15-1
    • SF 14-3
    • New England 15-3
    • That's 5 teams with 14 or more wins that they beat.
    • They also had to win 4 games to win each of those Super Bowls instead of 3.
  • They were 30-18 between those Super Bowls.
  • They went 9-7 the year after the second Super Bowl

As an Eagles fan I would never give NY any credit they did not deserve but those guys turned it on big time... twice.

Yes people are kinda of lumping in Giants teams underperforming in the regular season with their quality. 

The 2011 Giants beat the Patriots in the middle of the season. Then the Pats team they played only beat one winning team all season and was off a missed field goal in the AFC title game. There’s a debate whether the Giants were even the worst team in that SB

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, Nightime said:

It is when no other NFL team has even come close to beating a Mahomes led team in the playoffs. In his 4 wins, the average score has been 37-22

Yeah the Niners were “close” until they found themselves down 31-20 after the dominating 21-0 4th quarter and the announcers started showering Reid with praise with nearly 2 whole minutes left. 

No 2018 team was truly better than New England. 

i'd argue the 2018 saints, chiefs, and rams, all were, and that's just off the top of my head. but that's just my ten cents.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, rfournier103 said:

I don’t think a team that wins the Super Bowl can be on the list of worst teams to be in the Super Bowl. 

firm disagree. a team can be better on the day than their opponent despite being a worse team - that's essentially how sports works is it not?

to me the outcome of the bowl itself should be irrelevant to the question because it's a qualitative judgement based on the entire season

On 6/26/2020 at 12:13 AM, rfournier103 said:

I don’t think a team that wins the Super Bowl can be on the list of worst teams to be in the Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

firm disagree. a team can be better on the day than their opponent despite being a worse team - that's essentially how sports works is it not?

to me the outcome of the bowl itself should be irrelevant to the question because it's a qualitative judgement based on the entire season

Yes and no. 

I firmly believe you MUST win the big game to be called “the best.” Take the 2007 Patriots for example. I’m as big a Patriots fan as you will find anywhere, but I just can’t bring myself to say they were a better team than the Giants. Gotta win that big game, and the Pats just didn’t do it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Yes and no. 

I firmly believe you MUST win the big game to be called “the best.” Take the 2007 Patriots for example. I’m as big a Patriots fan as you will find anywhere, but I just can’t bring myself to say they were a better team than the Giants. Gotta win that big game, and the Pats just didn’t do it. 

yeah no that’s entirely fair

as you would probably expect i would have the 07 pats above the 18 pats, it all just boils down to how personally you weight everything up i guess hehe, reasonable minds can differ etc