Training Camp

turtle28

On 8/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, 4209 said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/5-washington-players-earning-rave-reviews-at-training-camp/

The cancellation of the preseason games hurts just about everybody rookies, undrafted players 2nd stringers  fighting for a starting spot.  I think the biggest question is how will ours Skins (oops) football team adjust to this very unique circumstance.  Nevertheless I am really excited about our transition to a youthful team.

I’ve said all along that these guy said will show in practice, and that will determine who makes it. We don’t see the practices, but obviously the coaches do, so even in normal times with preseason the practices may mean more, they’d did for Steven Sims last year. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:11 AM, turtle28 said:

They’re a bit out there on an island with that - but it’s at least 50% of the diehard fans - then you have the curmudgeon cave like some of those in this forum who don’t believe it until they see it bc in Snyder’s era things just don’t work out and they even trend further to where they are suggesting this won’t work out well.

As I said multiple times, follow the trend line. If a player has a crazy, out-of-norm season (even for ill), expect a bit of a return to the mean the following year (injuries are a bit of a special case).

Right now, Snyder is Poop Midas. Expecting anything he touches to turn into a turd is a safe bet.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

As I said multiple times, follow the trend line. If a player has a crazy, out-of-norm season (even for ill), expect a bit of a return to the mean the following year (injuries are a bit of a special case).

Right now, Snyder is Poop Midas. Expecting anything he touches to turn into a turd is a safe bet.

I try to say medium like Zorn. In here I get called optimistic, on Twitter I get called pessimistic. 

On 8/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, turtle28 said:

Murders row! Watch out QBs when this is our 3rd & long package coming at you w/ Kerrigan sliding down to a 5 technique to work on the right guard w/ Chase next to him at LDE, Ioannidis at 3-tech & Sweat at RDE.

Are you expecting a five man front? Or a very large gaping hole in the defense

RT   -   RG   -    C    -    LG    -   LT
Chase     Kerrigan                          Ioannidis    Sweat

Kerrigan @ 5 tech = outside of RT shoulder
Chase @ LDE = outside of Kerrigan (did you mean LDT?)
Ioannidis @ 3 tech - outside of guard's shoulder (assuming LG)
Sweat @ RDE = outside of Ioannidis

Chase     Kerrigan     Ioannidis                    Sweat

(if Ioannidis facing RG)

If a five man front, I assume Allen or Payne at the 1-ish position ... but do you think they have the linebackers to handle the whole field? And that assumes they would have two linebackers on the field with a five man front in a 3rd & long situation. More likely, they would have one LB, which means even more range responsibilities.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, turtle28 said:

Hmmm 🤔 Maybe he’s going to be the 4th DE, if he is, I think it looks good for Khaleke Hudson making the team as the 6th or 7th LB.

Or ... I dunno ... you cut Anderson and let someone else take his roster spot, whether it be Hudson or someone else?

On 8/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I get the sentiment why, but he really actually does need to get hit. For his own mental well-being on the field, he has to overcome the moment of collision and pop back up. The last time he got hit was disastrous for him. He needs it.

Given that there is no preseason this year, the only way this happens if Alex Smith is on the field when games actually matter.

That would be disastrous.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woz said:

Are you expecting a five man front? Or a very large gaping hole in the defense

Chase     Kerrigan                          Ioannidis    Sweat

Kerrigan @ 5 tech = outside of RT shoulder
Chase @ LDE = outside of Kerrigan (did you mean LDT?)
Ioannidis @ 3 tech - outside of guard's shoulder (assuming LG)
Sweat @ RDE = outside of Ioannidis

Chase     Kerrigan     Ioannidis                    Sweat

(if Ioannidis facing RG)

If a five man front, I assume Allen or Payne at the 1-ish position ... but do you think they have the linebackers to handle the whole field? And that assumes they would have two linebackers on the field with a five man front in a 3rd & long situation. More likely, they would have one LB, which means even more range responsibilities.

Yes, I meant Kerrigan LDT, maybe 5-technique is the wrong spot and he’d be more like 3 technique & Ioannidis would be more 1 technique. You’re right if Kerrigan was that wide and Ioannidis wasn’t at 1 technique, it would be gaping hole up the middle, but at the same time I was talking about 3rd & long.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, 4209 said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/5-washington-players-earning-rave-reviews-at-training-camp/

The cancellation of the preseason games hurts just about everybody rookies, undrafted players 2nd stringers  fighting for a starting spot.  I think the biggest question is how will ours Skins (oops) football team adjust to this very unique circumstance.  Nevertheless I am really excited about our transition to a youthful team.

From the quoted article

Brailford is in one of the toughest positions there is on the roster in Washington, as he is trying to make the 55-man roster cut on the defensive line, where this is a major influx of talent already.

My first thought was: What a stupid editing mistake. My second thought: Oh that's right ... ugh ... now I have to go back and study the new CBA.

For the record, it's not a 55 man roster.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/7/21/21330644/debunking-the-myth-of-the-55-man-nfl-roster-nfl-53-rules-myth-update-news-rumors-steelers-cba-nflpa

Now that things has been explained at length, here is the abbreviated version in order to help remember the new rules:

• Teams carry 53 players during the week with 12 practice squad players
  • Teams can promote up to 2 players from the practice squad the day before the game
  • Promoted players revert back to the practice squad the day following the game
  • Teams can have 48 players active for each game (must have 8 offensive linemen)

On top of that, teams can only promote/demote a practice squad player twice before they are exposed to waivers (the first two times, teams automatically get the player back).

Where this could be heavily used, especially in 2020, is if someone has flu-like symptoms and the team wants to hedge their bets on whether the guy is good to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Or ... I dunno ... you cut Anderson and let someone else take his roster spot, whether it be Hudson or someone else?

I don’t see Anderson getting cut. I do see them possibly keeping 7 LBs bc they’re probably going to want Hudson to make the team even if he’s behind Davis, Foster, Holcomb KPL & SDH at OLB. I also can see us keeping just 5 corners.

On 8/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, turtle28 said:

Doesn’t sound like it’s been a good start to NFL practices for Moss. The other day the TE coach was ripping him, today he either got injured or something else happened where he walked out of practice. Hopefully he just had to take a dump.

I appreciate all of the info, turtle, but as a thought: maybe put the newer ones at the bottom. Was a bit confused about the tweet regarding Harris and Stroman about not liking "nice things too" until i got down the list a bit.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I try to say medium like Zorn. In here I get called optimistic, on Twitter I get called pessimistic. 

If there were only things to be optimistic about when Snyder owns the team ...

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I meant Kerrigan LDT, maybe 5-technique is the wrong spot and he’d be more like 3 technique & Ioannidis would be more 1 technique. You’re right if Kerrigan was that wide and Ioannidis wasn’t at 1 technique, it would be gaping hole up the middle, but at the same time I was talking about 3rd & long.

Have we ever seen Kerrigan line up inside like that? Honestly asking.

Also, I would be a bit surprised that we would take Allen off the field for Kerrigan in that case, but I guess it could work?