Should the Redskins change their name?

Boarman1

The helmet logo is of a Powhatan. The name refers originally the Powhatan people. Powhatan is the only acceptable name it could change to that I could remain a fan. Anything else ignores not only the franchises history, but tosses the entire tribe it depicted to the curb to be forgotten. When they should be memorialized properly by the team and entire region.

13 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The helmet logo is of a Powhatan. The name refers originally the Powhatan people. Powhatan is the only acceptable name it could change to that I could remain a fan. Anything else ignores not only the franchises history, but tosses the entire tribe it depicted to the curb to be forgotten. When they should be memorialized properly by the team and entire region.

I've proposed "Potomacs" before. They actually helped the Jamestown settlers survive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Since that's the case, they should talk to the Powhatan tribe about it.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Since that's the case, they should talk to the Powhatan tribe about it.

Skins have the full blessing to use them in the logo design. And keep the name Redskins. All due to the history behind it. When settlers first arrived they couldnt speak the language so they were the red of skin people. And in return the Powhatans called the English the Pale of skin people.

Why I want the name Powhatan, and wont accept anything else. Its not about all these other tribes across the nation like some seem to think and Dan is running around the country trying to get blessings from. The logo is a Powhatan, the Redskin name originated with them with zero derogatory nature to it whatsoever. I say pay them the ultimate respect and adopt them fully. While flipping the finger to all the disapproving tribes and haters that take the name as something else.   

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Skins have the full blessing to use them in the logo design. And keep the name Redskins. All due to the history behind it. When settlers first arrived they couldnt speak the language so they were the red of skin people. And in return the Powhatans called the English the Pale of skin people.

Why I want the name Powhatan, and wont accept anything else. Its not about all these other tribes across the nation like some seem to think and Dan is running around the country trying to get blessings from. The logo is a Powhatan, the Redskin name originated with them with zero derogatory nature to it whatsoever. I say pay them the ultimate respect and adopt them fully. While flipping the finger to all the disapproving tribes and haters that take the name as something else.   

Very different from those first days and what the name became over the next few hundred centuries. History tells a different story and that’s not even the full history bc Native American history isn’t written. The stories are told from the elders to the youth but they didn’t write their own history, especially in those days.

You can’t just gloss over two centuries of what happened after the very beginning and there’s even history of what actually happened when the European settlers first came to the Americas which is not the same story that is told like it’s a fairy tale in US History books.

Edited by turtle28

Guys. I'm shutting this down for now. While this discussion has been civil, this is right about the time when it does no good to go further (as years of moderating experience are screaming at me right now).

If you've noticed why I haven't posted? It's not because I don't have my own ideas or thoughts. It's just that I can't make the situation better by posting either for or against the name change. Get me off the website and buy me a drink and I'll talk your ear off (with expletives - because my language in person is a bit salty). But for now. Let's end it here. Good discussion. Hopefully it will be resolved to the satisfaction of most, if not all, people.

• Like 1