Best "any given Sunday" games from losing teams.

TecmoSuperJoe

I'm talking about about games where a team is having a pretty disappointing season, but were able to be a top dog in the league on a particular day that nobody give them a chance to win. Happens every year, but there are some that have stuck with me: 

1992 Week 11 Rams at Cowboys: Competitive game that comes down to the wire. Cowboys finished 13-3 that season, and this was one of their losses. Apparently the Dallas locals wanted Jimmy Johnson to bench Aikman after this game in favor of Steve Beuerlein.  

1997 Week 12 Packers at Colts: Colts were 0-10 heading into a showdown with the defending Super Bowl champion 8-2 Packers, who were favored by 13 points. 

2011 Week 12 Packers at Chiefs: 5-8 Chiefs hosting the 13-0 Packers. Perfection is halted for Green Bay. 

1998 Week 14: Broncos at Giants: Another 13-0 squad in Denver being cut down a notch by a lackluster squad in NYG. 

We didn't win the game but the 2007 Ravens nearly ending New England's perfect season in that Monday Night classic comes to mind. 

We were otherwise a terrible team that year - finished 5-11 and that Pats game was 2 weeks before we gave the Cam Cameron Miami Dolphins their only win of the year. But for that one night we went blow for blow and arguably outplayed one of the best teams in league history. 

• Like 1

2008, Texans vs Titans: Tennessee was 12-1 going into the game, going up against the 6-7 Texans. Andre Johnson goes off against the #2 defense in the NFL, putting up 207 yards on 11 catches and scored the only TD of the game as the Texans pull off the 13-12 upset. This loss drops Tennessee to the #2 seed and earns them a date with the Baltimore Ravens instead of the San Diego Chargers in the playoffs...

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We didn't win the game but the 2007 Ravens nearly ending New England's perfect season in that Monday Night classic comes to mind. 

We were otherwise a terrible team that year - finished 5-11 and that Pats game was 2 weeks before we gave the Cam Cameron Miami Dolphins their only win of the year. But for that one night we went blow for blow and arguably outplayed one of the best teams in league history. 

Wasn't that the game with the ridiculous flags against the defense towards the end, allowing the Pats to survive?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

2008, Texans vs Titans: Tennessee was 12-1 going into the game, going up against the 6-7 Texans. Andre Johnson goes off against the #2 defense in the NFL, putting up 207 yards on 11 catches and scored the only TD of the game as the Texans pull off the 13-12 upset. This loss drops Tennessee to the #2 seed and earns them a date with the Baltimore Ravens instead of the San Diego Chargers in the playoffs...

MarriedBriskAlbacoretuna-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

2018 Week 3 Bills @ Vikings

I seem to remember that the Bills already looked awful even before they flew into Minnesota and their social media team inadvertently indicated that they’d landed in the wrong state. Given their prior two performances (including week 1 when they’d lost 47-3 to the Ravens), the idea that they’d lose to the Vikings seemed to be such a given that I chose Minnesota in Survivor. The Bills went on to win 27-6, having led 27-0 at halftime. Out of Survivor lol. 

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Where is the 'dislike' button to remove one of your accumulated footballs?

Take a few off the pile, I won't notice...

...but, don't please. I need these footballs.

• Like 1