Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd almost bet that we are so mid tier there because Stefanski goes for it so often on 4th Down. So, our offensive efficiency improves and our ST ineptitude isn't held against us.

Yeah, we’re not often punting on the opponents side of the field which would require great placement and coverage.  They just let CB boom kicks and run and cover them.

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yeah, JOK has sucked this year. Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/3-players-at-heart-defensive-issues

He also was the main reason for us beating them last year, as bad as he may have been, there are few teams who have a guy who can contain Jackson like he can.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yeah, JOK has sucked this year. Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/3-players-at-heart-defensive-issues

26 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He also was the main reason for us beating them last year, as bad as he may have been, there are few teams who have a guy who can contain Jackson like he can.

IMO I have a few major issues, some of which have already been brought up.

*Guys are playing out of position/away from their strengths.

JOK was drafted to be a star/hybrid/apex guy and he's now moved to an in the box player. That's never been where he should be playing. I'll semi-give Woods a pass here with the Walker injury and us not prioritizing the LB spot/expecting dudes like Taki and Phillips to play above what they've shown for years now.

Newsome NEVER should have been "the slot corner". We drafted him in the first round and he excelled on the outside in man coverage showing awesome tackling ability. Now he's playing zone in the slot...just terrible. He's unfamiliar there and tentative because he's lacking confidence.

Delpit I saw as a lazy lackluster effort guy in college. Plus, he was always a hybrid guy roamer in the box, and we expected him to be a true FS. Last year when he flashed, he did it within 8 yards of the LOS, on blitzes, and in certain personnel groupings. I think he's probably not an NFL starter at all, but we never set him up for success whatsoever.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Delpit needs to be a nickel linebacker. It is what is.

Nah. He’s dreadful playing in the box unless he’s schemed up on a blitz, which any dipstick can do.

He should be our Cover 1 FS. Thats what he was awesome at during his LSU days.

And yeah, JOK shouldn’t be in the box. Wtf. He was unreal as a nickel player in college. He should be there all the time.

Joe Woods doesn’t value linebackers, so when teams scheme us into using them, his answer is to put Delpit or JJ3 there. And they are awful at it. Woods needs to quit. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Nah. He’s dreadful playing in the box unless he’s schemed up on a blitz, which any dipstick can do.

He should be our Cover 1 FS. Thats what he was awesome at during his LSU days.

And yeah, JOK shouldn’t be in the box. Wtf. He was unreal as a nickel player in college. He should be there all the time.

Joe Woods doesn’t value linebackers, so when teams scheme us into using them, his answer is to put Delpit or JJ3 there. And they are awful at it. Woods needs to quit. 

I remember him talking about how his defense will take off when we get 3 safeties. 

We have 4 that can play, and we still never see 3 safeties.