Browns General Discussion

candyman93

12 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Fire Woods and Priefer would be my first moves.

I would add make Stefanski give up playcalling duties and being the defacto OC. Yes we have seen successful HC who are also OCs but IMO, Stef isnt one of those HCs. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-explains-why-he-gave-play-calling

I think this is a good article talking about how Sirianna decided to give up play calling duties. Feel like the reasons he wanted to give them up, would benefit the Browns a lot as well. I also believe since Stef is so heavily involved with the offense, that he wouldnt fire a defensive or ST coach mid season cause he wouldnt be able to help pick up the slack as the HC in those areas because of how balls deep he is in the offense.

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I would add make Stefanski give up playcalling duties and being the defacto OC. Yes we have seen successful HC who are also OCs but IMO, Stef isnt one of those HCs. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-explains-why-he-gave-play-calling

I think this is a good article talking about how Sirianna decided to give up play calling duties. Feel like the reasons he wanted to give them up, would benefit the Browns a lot as well. I also believe since Stef is so heavily involved with the offense, that he wouldnt fire a defensive or ST coach mid season cause he wouldnt be able to help pick up the slack as the HC in those areas because of how balls deep he is in the offense.

So our plan would be to have someone else run an offense that’s been called well/well designed all season so that guy (who’s coached offense his whole career) could go fix the defense?

All of this one game before we get the pro bowl QB back?

I’ll pass.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

The only true bright spot this year.

I wouldn't say the only bright spot, but yeah, I'm definitely glad DPJ seems to be cementing himself as a legit #2 option. Always felt he had the potential, he just wasn't always consistent. He's played very well this season.

Still need a burner at WR, since I have zero expectations for Schwartz and a guy like Bell is more of a target in the intermediate passing game.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll hold his feet to the fire if he doesn’t address it in the off-season, but not canning him now isn’t a deal breaker for me (even though I’d have fired him long ago).

Not firing him is one thing. But you still need to make an adjustment on defense. Which hasn’t been done. And if KS is telling woods to do one thing he isn’t then not firing him that sends a very bad message to the whole team. The players aren’t happy about the lack of adjustment too. It shows very poor leadership on Stefanskis part. You can’t just sit back and wait till the offseason to make a move. 

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Not firing him is one thing. But you still need to make an adjustment on defense. Which hasn’t been done. And if KS is telling woods to do one thing he isn’t then not firing him that sends a very bad message to the whole team. The players aren’t happy about the lack of adjustment too. It shows very poor leadership on Stefanskis part. You can’t just sit back and wait till the offseason to make a move. 

I agree he needs to move on from woods and I do think continuing to trot him out there is a bad look for him, but I think a lot of the solutions fans have are overly reactionary.

KS refusing to move on from Woods and Preifer is a valid criticism and if he doesn’t make a move in the off-season he’s probably starting next year with a very warm seat.  I can understand the idea that there isn’t an immediate upgrade available and to some degree you have to dance with the one ya brung.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

KS refusing to move on from Woods and Preifer is a valid criticism and if he doesn’t make a move in the off-season he’s probably starting next year with a very warm seat.  I can understand the idea that there isn’t an immediate upgrade available and to some degree you have to dance with the one ya brung.

Let me say I think Kevin is  actually a good offensive coach.   I do want him to succeed.  

However, and this is where I get frustrated, the team statistically and from data is bad defensively and the buck stops with the head coach.  That is why I am critical of him.  Woods is bad and you are losing/lost players. A change is needed now.  Don’t care if we are waiting on Watson or not.  He is not changing the defense.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So our plan would be to have someone else run an offense that’s been called well/well designed all season so that guy (who’s coached offense his whole career) could go fix the defense?

All of this one game before we get the pro bowl QB back?

I’ll pass.

Would you rather have AVP as the OC or Woods as the DC? 

22 minutes ago, Powertower said:

Let me say I think Kevin is  actually a good offensive coach.   I do want him to succeed.  

However, and this is where I get frustrated, the team statistically and from data is bad defensively and the buck stops with the head coach.  That is why I am critical of him.  Woods is bad and you are losing/lost players. A change is needed now.  Don’t care if we are waiting on Watson or not.  He is not changing the defense.  

I agree with firing woods now and Priefer at the end of the year.  We’re historically bad.  It’s gonna be hard for the next guy to be any worse.