Browns General Discussion

candyman93

I would be all for churches being able to get out of a bunch or even all taxes if they can demonstrate what they spend helping their cities and communities. But it shouldn’t be something that’s assumed. 

Churches that exist to build and support their community get a pass and can keep their money to keep doing good. 

I think a system where you have to earn/prove a “tax exempt church” status would be better than nothing. 

• Like 1

To offer an alternative topic: JOK is a good LB right? Y’all like the pick?

I took him in a 3-year GM mock and put him next to Demario Davis as a starter his rookie season. Wondering what he might be looking like on the Saints roster. 

I also swindled myself out of a 2nd and 3rd for Mayfield (w the browns eating like $16m of his salary)  🤫 but I do feel like he would’ve done better here than he did in Carolina. Potentially well enough to make the playoffs. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Not expecting a savior, but a plug and play starter in the 2nd > than gambling on striking absolute gold again like we did with Emerson as a strategy at this point IMO.

Many in this forum wanted Winfrey in R2.  He was taken in R4 and was a scratch for a large part of the year.

The whole draft is a gamble.  

Depending on a rookie, any rookie to move the needle is a bad plan.  Expecting it from a guy in R2 is a really bad plan.

56 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

What would they be taxed on? Donations? That is what they run on. 

Depending on usage, sure.  

But also they’d be required to pay taxes on property which they’re exempt from now.  If you can afford an arena, you can afford the taxes.

In all likely hood the day of the mega church is over anyway. 

Down turn in economy and lower g church numbers all together they likely will not survive.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure churches have survived mild recessions before.

Columbus vineyard has laid off half of its staff.

Businesses make business decisions all the time.

46 minutes ago, Dome said:

I would be all for churches being able to get out of a bunch or even all taxes if they can demonstrate what they spend helping their cities and communities. But it shouldn’t be something that’s assumed. 

Churches that exist to build and support their community get a pass and can keep their money to keep doing good. 

I think a system where you have to earn/prove a “tax exempt church” status would be better than nothing. 

Yep, this is pretty much where I’m at.

SHOW me you’re doing good and using those funds efficiently.  Even then idk.  

If you have a huge building you could be doing more.  It’s 2023, Zoom the sermon, save some money and do more good in the community.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dome said:

I took him in a 3-year GM mock and put him next to Demario Davis as a starter his rookie season. Wondering what he might be looking like on the Saints roster. 

I’m a huge fan but he wasn’t used really well here thus far.

42 minutes ago, Dome said:

I also swindled myself out of a 2nd and 3rd for Mayfield (w the browns eating like $16m of his salary)  🤫 but I do feel like he would’ve done better here than he did in Carolina. Potentially well enough to make the playoffs. 

Agree with that.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s 2023, Zoom the sermon

For some that is like saying zoom going to Disneyland.

If you just want to watch one on a screen you can do that any day of the week, any hour of the day. There is a huge difference being there for many people, especially the cleansed feeling afterward. I don't even think you have to be a true believer, as long as you aren't cynical there is something that happens whether real or imagined where you definitely feel different.

As far as looking for people to help with financial issues, how about a cap. You can have $100 million in cash assets, after that you are taxed at a ridiculously high level. Those taxes are collected and then redistributed by a non-profit to aide the citizens (or even population, if you will) with food/housing/medical etc.. We can even kick some back to SS or whatever if that seems like a fair usage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I want to blame coaching on his disappointing play last year but he got killed in coverage last year. That was suppose to be one of his strengths. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Many in this forum wanted Winfrey in R2.  He was taken in R4 and was a scratch for a large part of the year.

The whole draft is a gamble.  

Depending on a rookie, any rookie to move the needle is a bad plan.  Expecting it from a guy in R2 is a really bad plan.

We don't have the cap space to sign enough sure fire free agents to fill all our gaps, so depending on a 2nd round rookie to contribute meaningfully this year for one of those is a better plan than trading back and stockpiling picks for the future. 

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

For some that is like saying zoom going to Disneyland.

If you just want to watch one on a screen you can do that any day of the week, any hour of the day. There is a huge difference being there for many people, especially the cleansed feeling afterward. I don't even think you have to be a true believer, as long as you aren't cynical there is something that happens whether real or imagined where you definitely feel different.

I can appreciate that.

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

As far as looking for people to help with financial issues, how about a cap. You can have $100 million in cash assets, after that you are taxed at a ridiculously high level. Those taxes are collected and then redistributed by a non-profit to aide the citizens (or even population, if you will) with food/housing/medical etc.. We can even kick some back to SS or whatever if that seems like a fair usage.

Sounds like a better option than what we currently have but for me the cap would be about 5-10% of that.  If you have that much in cash/assets it’s time to start helping folks in need iyam.

13 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

We don't have the cap space to sign enough sure fire free agents to fill all our gaps, so depending on a 2nd round rookie to contribute meaningfully this year for one of those is a better plan than trading back and stockpiling picks for the future. 

I don’t think they be looking for future picks tbh, I think it would be multiple later picks like last year.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sounds like a better option than what we currently have but for me the cap would be about 5-10% of that.  If you have that much in cash/assets it’s time to start helping folks in need iyam

Yeah, same if you ask me too but capitalism and everything. There is still plenty to be had with the top 1% holding a third of the nations wealth.