Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Here's the reality:

Watson has an ELITE RB in Chubb, ELITE OL with Bitonio, Teller, and Conklin and a capable LT in Wills with a couple of above average C, and a legitimate #1 WR in Cooper.

He has an above average TE in Njoku.

He has a below average #2 WR in DPJ but a guy who has shown flashes of being solid.

If he can't elevate the offense, which btw wasn't a problem with Jacoby Brissett, to the next level, then this entire organization made an absolutely reprehensible FOOTBALL TRADE in acquiring him, along with a reprehensible contract, not to mention all of the other stuff that came with it.

Every metric says/said we're a playoff team with an average defense last year and Jacoby at the helm, so there you go.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I also think playing with Watson is a draw for a lot of players, despite our opinions as fans.

Let's hope so. Most players just really want to win only perhaps after "getting the bag". He showed he's an All Pro level QB a few years ago in Houston and let's not forget he's a college football living legend as well. That does play into things for many people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we’ve surrounded him with some stars.  We have Chubb and Bitonio who are elite at their positions.  Teller, Conklin, and Cooper are all perhaps one notch below elite. Njoku is a competent starter.  

We’re not asking him to turn chicken **** into chicken salad here, we’re asking him to turn some chicken **** receivers into somewhat useful in an offense that doesn’t need to rely on the pass game nearly as much as other teams.

Oh 100%. That's why I don't think we need to add anything on offense this year. I would like to grab a #3 TE, another backup OL, and a FB/RB hybrid later on in the draft or cheaply in FA, but those are luxury needs at this point.

I don't want to go after a WR this year. The draft class sucks, the FA pool sucks, and I don't think we really know yet what we have in Schwartz/Woods/Bell/Grant. I'd at least give those guys 1 more year to see before we cry the blues about our WR's. I would be willing to bet one of those guys will look like a good NFL player by the season's end...especially if Watson does what he's supposed to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Oh 100%. That's why I don't think we need to add anything on offense this year. I would like to grab a #3 TE, another backup OL, and a FB/RB hybrid later on in the draft or cheaply in FA, but those are luxury needs at this point.

I don't want to go after a WR this year. The draft class sucks, the FA pool sucks, and I don't think we really know yet what we have in Schwartz/Woods/Bell/Grant. I'd at least give those guys 1 more year to see before we cry the blues about our WR's. I would be willing to bet one of those guys will look like a good NFL player by the season's end...especially if Watson does what he's supposed to do.

I think that’s fair and I don’t necessarily disagree.  I personally wouldn’t look to spend a day 2 pick on a WR unless someone unexpectedly fell. I don’t love most of the names I’m commonly seeing as available.

Id absolutely take a flier on a high level athlete day 3 like they did with DPJ.

Not something I’m looking hard for per se, but if the right situation arises I’m all for it because we do need talent there long term.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The Chiefs #2 last year (Valdes-Scantling) had 81 targets and and 687 yards and 59.1 catch percentage.

DPJ had 96 targets and 839 yards 63.5 catch percentage.

What is his average over his career?

You bring up excellent points but I doubt if you call up Cincinnati or Kc they trade you either sky Moore or Higgins even up for Dpj

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

What is his average over his career?

You bring up excellent points but I doubt if you call up Cincinnati or Kc they trade you either sky Moore or Higgins even up for Dpj

Well, Tee Higgins is an elite #2. So you are correct.

Skyy was just drafted in the 2nd round so maybe, but as far as production DPJ was 3 times better last year. 

Point is that Cooper and DPJ aren't trash. They were top 10 and top 40 at WR with Brissett and an inconsistent Watson last year. It helps that there wasn't a 3rd or 4th WR taking and catches away from them but they both had very good yards per target so it wasn't all about high volume. 

16 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

OBJ had a private work out today.

A handful of teams had a representative there. Including your Cleveland Browns! 

Replied to wrong post hence the edit, don’t know how to delete 

Edited by hornbybrown

On 3/9/2023 at 8:26 AM, MWil23 said:

Because with how slanted the rules are for offenses in the NFL with illegal contact, spot foul DPI, the fact that RPO's are essentially legal OPI and/or ineligible man downfield over 90% of the time, and those rules have effectively killed press man and Cover 2, you now have to match numbers in the box. 

RPO’s are going to kill college football more than NIL. It’s bad in the NFL, but you can practically commit murder in college.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

RPO’s are going to kill college football more than NIL. It’s bad in the NFL, but you can practically commit murder in college.

You should see it in HS. Veer blocking Mike linebackers and safeties 7-9 yards downfield. Not exaggerating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I doubt very seriously you trade sky moore for Dpj they would want draft picks back.

Sorry about delay this place is crazy busy .

Appreciate the point of view.

I wouldn’t trade DPJ for Skyy Moore. Mahomes throwing to DPJ would be better than Mahomes throwing to Skyy Moore. DPJ is a legit #2 WR. Skyy Moore has done nothing. He might prove to be good, but to say he’s better than DPJ right now is false. 

• Like 4