Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Still amazes me how Berry saw how our LBs got completely destroyed all last year and the past few years for that matter… and was just like yeah let’s run that back  

I’ll give him this. 

Part of the reason they got destroyed is the fact the d linemen in front of them didn’t protect them. 

We’ve spent assets on the D line. Gotta give Berry that. DT has clearly been a priority from the start. 

Let’s see what our linebackers can do with solid interior line play in front of them. Tomlinson and Siaka could help alot. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I’ll give him this. 

Part of the reason they got destroyed is the fact the d linemen in front of them didn’t protect them. 

We’ve spent assets on the D line. Gotta give Berry that. DT has clearly been a priority from the start. 

Let’s see what our linebackers can do with solid interior line play in front of them. Tomlinson and Siaka could help alot. 

It doesn’t matter who they have in front of them. Missing open tackles and getting ran over doesn’t have anything to do with who’s in front of them. We better hope JOK puts some weight on this offseason. He’s our only hope at LB. Walker is coming off an injury and will be slower. Phillips sucks. Taki is a bench guy at best. No one else really matters. The rest are just special teams guys. 

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Still amazes me how Berry saw how our LBs got completely destroyed all last year and the past few years for that matter… and was just like yeah let’s run that back  

Yep. Completely unacceptable.

5 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It doesn’t matter who they have in front of them. Missing open tackles and getting ran over doesn’t have anything to do with who’s in front of them. We better hope JOK puts some weight on this offseason. He’s our only hope at LB. Walker is coming off an injury and will be slower. Phillips sucks. Taki is a bench guy at best. No one else really matters. The rest are just special teams guys. 

I think they have 4 legit linebackers.  And by legit I mean NFL quality.

JOK needs to take the next step and be an impactful guy at the second level, but he has high level tools and versatility that can have notable impact on games.

Walker is fine starting linebacker. He’s had the 3rd best coverage rating for off ball linebackers over the last 2 seasons per PFF. He’s a guy who’s a net neutral type player.  Not winning you any games, not losing you any games.

I disagree completely about Takitaki.  He’s another perfectly capable, “fine” starter. He’s far and away the most physical linebacker we have.  He looked ok at SAM last year but he actually turned things up a notch or two when he moved inside to MIKE due to injuries. Another net neutral type of player.

Those 3 guys to me are NFL starters, unfortunately 2 are coming off injuries.

Fields to me also look like an NFL quality player.  The last few games of the season when he finally started getting some snaps he flashed a good bit imo.  Not sure if he’s ready to take on a starting role just yet, mostly due to a small sample side, but has flashed and shows WILL abilities. 

Adams is also another NFL, but his role seems to be as a special teamer.  Which is fine.

Phillips has been bad, no question, but he’s also still just 24.  In theory I suppose he could improve, but I’m not holding my breath.

IDK, I guess I just don’t see it as inconceivable to think we get “good enough” play from this group with guys like Fields and JOK getting a year older and playing for a guy in Schwartz who’s been consistently capable of fielding competent defenses.

It also wouldn’t shock me to see AB make a move in training camp for a linebacker if this group is underwhelming.

• Like 1