Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

The fact that we are basically relying on either scrubs or roster cuts to be getting starting LB minutes is an indictment of AB. At least make some sort of effort there. We basically just ran it back with the same bad players. 

He adressed the poor Safety play with McLeod and Thornhill and did the same for DL with Smith, Harris and Tomlinson--he just...never made a single move at LB lol The strangest part is that is the cheapest position of the 3 to fix. Hell I would be happy if they brought in a washed vet like Anthony Barr. Just show me something, anything, that your trying to improve and add some flavor to that position group

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He adressed the poor Safety play with McLeod and Thornhill and did the same for DL with Smith, Harris and Tomlinson--he just...never made a single move at LB lol The strangest part is that is the cheapest position of the 3 to fix. Hell I would be happy if they brought in a washed vet like Anthony Barr. Just show me something, anything, that your trying to improve and add some flavor to that position group

I mean, it’s not hard to figure out why.  

Both he and I’m assuming Schwartz think out linebackers will be fine in his scheme. Whether that’s the case remains to be seen, but it’s not hard to figure out what’s happening.

Schwartz has said himself his scheme isn’t terribly difficult for linebackers.  They aren’t asked to do much in coverage other than play mostly zone and carry TEs to the S.  Run fits are exactly that, but run defense is definitely more DL than LB imo.  Or at least good DL play can make the LB job easy.

Even @MWil23 who’s been as big of a hater as anyone re: our talent at linebacker has pointed out we were a full run fit short last season at times.  That’s inexcusable and hard to mask.  

Also, it’s not 1994 any longer.  I don’t think we’re gonna be playing a lot of 3 linebacker formations.  Most teams base defense is some form of a nickel.  I’d imagine we’re gonna see 3 CBS or 3 S a whole lot more that 3 LB.  JOK and Walker are fine, Fields has flashed.  Meh. If these guys are losing us games something else went terribly wrong.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Both he and I’m assuming Schwartz think out linebackers will be fine in his scheme. Whether that’s the case remains to be seen, but it’s not hard to figure out what’s happening.

Schwartz has said himself his scheme isn’t terribly difficult for linebackers.  They aren’t asked to do much in coverage other than play mostly zone and carry TEs to the S.  Run fits are exactly that, but run defense is definitely more DL than LB imo.  Or at least good DL play can make the LB job easy.

Even @MWil23 who’s been as big of a hater as anyone re: our talent at linebacker has pointed out we were a full run fit short last season at times.  That’s inexcusable and hard to mask.  

Also, it’s not 1994 any longer.  I don’t think we’re gonna be playing a lot of 3 linebacker formations.  Most teams base defense is some form of a nickel.  I’d imagine we’re gonna see 3 CBS or 3 S a whole lot more that 3 LB.  JOK and Walker are fine, Fields has flashed.  Meh. If these guys are losing us games something else went terribly wrong.

We need to play JOK at apex, Walker at Mike, and Taki at SAM with JOK always in during nickel packages.

The dude they have running with the first team now is extremely unathletic, as evidenced by his inability to run down Howell last week when he was spying him.

I think we are in trouble vs teams like Baltimore and against mobile quarterbacks. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

We need to play JOK at apex, Walker at Mike, and Taki at SAM with JOK always in during nickel packages.

The dude they have running with the first team now is extremely unathletic, as evidenced by his inability to run down Howell last week when he was spying him.

I think we are in trouble vs teams like Baltimore and against mobile quarterbacks. 

Who’s with the ones?  (I don’t watch preseason)

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good points. I just think about the best defenses in the league--Philly/SanFran/KC/Baltimore. They all have dudes at LB. Instinctual, fast and strong at the point of attack. It can be coached around but it certainly helps when you have good players, or at league above average players at those positions.

They dont have to go out and draft blue chippers for that. They just need to get players with 1 trait they really excel at and insert them into that role. If its coverage, fine. If its hard hitting in gaps, cool. Play them on different downs.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Good points. I just think about the best defenses in the league--Philly/SanFran/KC/Baltimore. They all have dudes at LB. Instinctual, fast and strong at the point of attack. It can be coached around but it certainly helps when you have good players, or at league above average players at those positions.

They dont have to go out and draft blue chippers for that. They just need to get players with 1 trait they really excel at and insert them into that role. If its coverage, fine. If its hard hitting in gaps, cool. Play them on different downs.

I think they expect JOK to be “that dude”.