Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah I'm all for getting Tillman on the field more, and my thought on DPJ and Bell is that Watson isn't getting the ball out on time to really anybody right now.

I would also like to see Goodwin run more than just deep posts all game long. Use him underneath more often for quicker routes. I assume with his speed he can separate faster than DPJ can

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This won’t be popular, but if Watson continues to struggle- He needs to be treated the way the Eagles treated Carson Wentz when they had Jalen Hurts.

You play Watson until DTR is ready. 

Then you try to dump Watsons deal + high draft picks off to a team with cap space.

I don’t think we can reasonably move him for like 2-3 years though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would also like to see Goodwin run more than just deep posts all game long. Use him underneath more often for quicker routes. I assume with his speed he can separate faster than DPJ can

He is seeing 10 yard cushions from the corners. He should be out there a lot just for that reason alone.

I think we're running too many condensed sets. We should split guys out more to open up run lanes and decongest the reads that Deshaun needs to make. Nothing we're running looks anything like what the Texans were doing when he was at his peak. 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think we can reasonably move him for like 2-3 years though.

100%. I'd move him today if we could. Nobody is going to be willing to take on that albatros of a contract for a dude who has been struggling mightily AND would bring negative PR with him. We are also delusional to think that DTR will be good. He flashed in the preseason against vanilla looks. I love his potential and his fit within our offense, but he's not ready to be the answer. And probably never will be, as much as I do like him. 

• Like 1

=

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

100%. I'd move him today if we could. Nobody is going to be willing to take on that albatros of a contract for a dude who has been struggling mightily AND would bring negative PR with him.

yeah even if we could swing the trade cap wise I’d be stunned to find any takers right now.

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

We are also delusional to think that DTR will be good. He flashed in the preseason against vanilla looks. I love his potential and his fit within our offense, but he's not ready to be the answer. And probably never will be, as much as I do like him. 

You’d think this fanbase would know better than to buy into preseason hype lol.

• Like 1

If he continues to struggle and play bad like he has then that would only make it even less likely that there is a team out there willing to take on his ridiculous guaranteed contract. I just don’t see this as a possibility for many reasons. For starters, we traded three first round picks for him. So in the very slim chance somebody wants to take on that trouble both on and off the field, trading Watson for pennies on the dollar compared to what we gave up would be guaranteeing the end of Andrew Barry. Which would make no sense because he would be the one making the deal. You are stuck with the dude for as long as AB is here. You are stuck with him three more seasons after this one honestly based on the contract, unless he improves enough that somebody would want him. Which in that case, would negate us really desiring to trade him. We made a **** sandwich last year and now we are forced to eat it slowly.

Watson is not going anywhere. We really need to stop entertaining that idea as a potential option. Hes not getting benched, hes not getting traded. If momentum during the season doesnt start to shift--worst case Stefanski is going to be the scapegoat at the end of the season and he will be axed in favor of some other random up and coming OC probably from the Eagles nobody has ever heard of.

• Like 1